Author's note: I have finally accepted the fact that I cannot write V/B fics. I guess most of you are thinking "You mean you just figured that out?" well what can I say I am a little dense. But before I quit the V/B fic fan club for good I just had to write this. I mean it was one of the first V/B fics I thought of but never seemed to get around to writing it. So please read and comment on what is likely my very last V/B fic. You can send your comments to s354033@student.uq.edu.au

 

Shadows
By: Tinni

 

Prologue

 

'So this is the famous witch?' sneered his father as he surveyed the frail old hag in front of him, 'I must say I expected more. More resistance, more power not to mention more youth and beauty. Instead I get an old weakling of a hag. Feh, this was hard worth wasting my time with.' He said distastefully, 'Get rid of her.' he ordered.

'Let me do the honours father.' Said the eight year old Vegeta with disturbing enthusiasm.

'Go ahead.' Said King Vegeta with a shrug.

Eagerly Vegeta bounced down to the old hag. Holding his hand out he began to gather a small but deadly Ki sphere. Probably because he was not expecting it Vegeta was taken completely by surprise when suddenly the old witch grabbed him and pulled him into her arms. The gathering energy was snuffed and suddenly Vegeta found himself struggling to get out of grips that were too strong to be coming from a frail old woman. 'You want to see my power.' Said the hag to the king, 'Well see it. I scarifies my life and that of yours King of Saiyains so that all Saiyains on Vegitasei save the prince are trapped forever in the dimensional void. Doomed to see nothing but darkness, doomed to feel nothing but the pain that they have caused returned to ten folds. Doomed to suffer, doomed to wander till their Prince learns the lesson that he must.' The Saiyains tried to stop her but found their bodies refuse to obey their command as something began to tug at them. Stricken with pain the King stooped forward one hand pressed heavily on his breast. He could feel his heart slowing in his chest. 'I scarifies my life and that of yours King of Saiyains' continued the witch, ' so that all the Prince of Saiyains can't not be seen by any eyes. Only heard, only felt, like the wind that rustles the leaves and brushed the skin. Let him be like the wind till he has learnt his lesson. But let him suffer till than.' The grip around Vegeta loosened.

Braking free Vegeta whirled around to deliver a killer blow to the upstart witch. He didn't have to. She was dead at his feet. 'Vegeta…' he heard his father's strained voice. Turning around he saw his father collapse on the throne. His eyes glazed over. His spirit free from the confines of its mortal body. All around him Saiyains vanished. All around him fear ruled and despair reigned. Finally he was alone. His scouter picked up nothing but wildlife and plants and slaves who were quickly grabbing the nearest ship and fleeing to wherever. Fear gripping his heart he raised his eyes to shine surface of the golden throne. There he saw his reflection slowly disappear.

He walked the empty halls ways of the empty palace feeling like he always did. Detached miserable and as if he was in hell. He stood in front of the giant gold rimmed mirror like he always did. But like always he cast no reflection. Vegeta sighed one would think that after not seeing his reflection in the mirror for the last twenty years he would get used to it. But he would never get used to it just like he would never get used to this empty palace or the empty planet beyond its gates. He opened the large doors leading into the throne room with his Ki and walked inside. He could never bear to stay in here for more than a minute, memories… too many memories of that day came crashing back to him. The day the Saiyains became noting more than lost souls and he became little more than a ghost.

Vegeta shook his head and walked out the room. After all these years one would think the memories would fade. But no they were crystal clear. Walking out on to the balcony of his palace he gazed across the garden, long over run by weeds, to the untamed desert that stretched beyond it, the desert summed up the current state of the planet well. After all the desert was the planet. Vegeta closed his eyes and tried to remember what he looked like than, tried to imagine what he must look like now. Saiyains were never known for their imagination. He sighed and gazed up at the morning sky. Suddenly a bright glowing star like object began to hurtle towards the ground. Vegeta head snapped back in surprise. With his eyes he tracked the object. Soon it became clear that the object was a giant around spaceship. As it neared the ground it slowed and landed gently just beyond the palace gates. Even at that distance Vegeta's Saiyain eyes could see everything clearly. He could see that the ship had strange characters on its side. He could not read them. If he could he would realise that they read "Capsule Corp.". He watched with interest as slowly the door of the ship began to open. It appeared that after twenty years Prince Vegeta finally had company…

* * * * *


Table of Contents
Chapter 1