insert standard disclaimer here. I don't own Dragonball Z or any of the characters.

 

Chapter 3
Confrontation

--------------------------------------

 

I knock, tentatively at first, then louder. I wish I had just called, but I felt that this was something best done in person.

He opens the door, gorgeous as ever. The scar on his cheek makes him look like somewhat of a ruffian, but all I can think about for a moment is what it used to feel like to run my fingers through all of that hair.

"Hey Babe! How's it going?"

I fight the pull of his charisma, and the desire to throw myself into his arms and tearfully confess everything.

"Yamucha..."

"Yeah sweets, what's up? You look terrible, no offense. Come in and sit down."

I follow him inside and try not to think of all the time we've spent on that couch. Laughing, watching movies, making out...it feels like years ago. Has it really only been a couple of months?

I realize I am close to tears, and force myself to talk before I totally lose it.

"There's something I need to tell you." He looks concerned. I close my eyes.

"After we broke up, I found out I was pregnant...but before I was even sure, I miscarried." I swallow the lump in my throat and steel myself to look up at his face.

His eyes are a mixture of sorrow, relief, and regret. I don't think he knows what to feel first.

"Bulma, I'm sorry. Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"I-I don't know. I guess I needed some time to deal with it first."

It's useless. My wounds are still raw and the longing for him hasn't lessened at all. But neither has my conviction that he can never return my love. A tear escapes.

He sighs. I know he understands everything. He wraps me in his arms and rests his chin on my head. "I'm so sorry..." he says, and I know he isn't just talking about the baby. I can _feel_ his regret, that he can't give me the love I crave. My heart is breaking.

--------------------------------------

She was the last person I expected to see this morning, forlorn and miserable on my doorstep. I knew that she was determined to be strong, and give herself time to heal, before we tried to resume being friends. So her visit, and her news, totally blew me away.

My heart aches for her, having to go through that all alone. I hate myself for not being man enough to make her happy. I don't know what is wrong with me. I can see how great she is, but my eyes always wander, and I wonder if the grass really is greener. I didn't fight her when she wanted to break up, because I truly think she deserves better.

--------------------------------------

I curse her, for invading my training, my thoughts, and my dreams. For daring to care about me. I don't need her. I am 100 times too good for her, and I hate the fact that I have gone for days without remembering how much I despise this miserable ball of mud and all of its inhabitants. I wish, not for the first time, that they had left me dead.

Since I am not, I dedicate myself instead to making her life miserable. I rain creative insults down upon her cooking, her figure, her hair, her intelligence, her face. I find myself wanting to see her smile, so perversely I endeavor to make her hate me.

--------------------------------------

When I get back, all I can think about is sleep. I don't want to see anyone. Vegeta tries to provoke me but I don't even hear him. He yells something about food, or the gravity room needing repair. But he will have to physically pull me out of bed for that to happen. I'm not doing anything but lying here trying to forget how good it was to be held by him again.

--------------------------------------

I don't know what to make of this new development. No arguing, no tears. Nothing I do elicits a response from her. I am starving, but I know that this time, nothing I do will get her out of that bed to prepare a meal. Baka human woman! Hopefully there is something around that doesn't require cooking.

--------------------------------------

I guess I was like a time bomb just waiting to explode. The next day he goes too far.

"Woman! Get your ass out here and fix this! Continuing to pine after that loser isn't going to make him love you!"

How dare he! I throw off the covers and storm outside, not caring that I am only wearing a flimsy nightgown. Somewhere in the back of my brain, I revel in the fact that it will make him uncomfortable.

"Woman!--"

I ball up my fist and throw a punch at him, remembering to hold my wrist like he'd shown me and throwing all of my momentum into the blow. I must have hit him in just exactly the right spot, because blood starts to trickle from his nose.

I smirk. "Too weak to do damage, even if I manage to connect?"

Of course, now he is going to hurt me.

--------------------------------------

For one full second, I am shocked speechless, rendered immobile. She _dares_ to strike a Prince?!? I hardly felt the blow, but can't believe she managed to draw blood. It might have actually hurt a human.

I advance on her and see the terror in her eyes, but she refuses to give ground. Her chin lifts and she glares at me through glittering narrowed slits. I admire her courage even as I plan to kill her.

--------------------------------------

Not bothering to wipe the blood from his face, my death approaches. I stare, fascinated, at the bright crimson languidly trailing down over the crest of that cold, perfect, mouth.

His low voice is more like a growl than human speech. "Woman. On my planet you would already be dead. There is only one reason you are not. I need that gravity room to train -- Fix it."

The menace in his tone sends icy tremors down my spine. But I am not done with him yet.

"Why should I? You don't seriously expect me to believe you have any intention of defending this world from the androids. I'm tired of putting it back together just so you can blow it apart again!"

He sneers, "Why _should_ I care about this pathetic excuse for a planet!? There is nothing of value here. Originally, when we came to conquer and sell it, we weren't expecting a very high price--"

I almost hit him again.

"The only thing you care about is yourself. And beating Goku. Somehow you think that killing him will make your miserable existence worthwhile. But I have a question for you -- what if you finally beat him? What then??" I am screaming at him by now.

"What will you do when your life's only purpose is gone? Die?"

"YES!! Yes, I _should_ have died! With all of them!!"

I stare at him in shock. His eyes close. Immediately I know he never intended to say that out loud. Before I can react, he is gone.

--------------------------------------

"The only thing you care about is yourself. And beating Goku--" her words echo in my head.

She is half wrong. I don't much care about myself.

--------------------------------------
End Chapter 3

Comments welcome. Email me at sango_chan@hotmail.com if you'd like to be notified of updates. Thanks for reading :)


Table of Contents
Chapter 2
Chapter 4