Chapter 12

 

When Cumba went to bed that night he thought he might wake tomorrow to find that Vegeta had one of those you-disgust-me-you-dirty-old-man fights with the King like he has from time to time. That would be the sensible thing to do. King Vegeta usually backed of from whomever he was trying to drag to the harem, well at least for a little while, and that would mean that Vegeta would be able to stick to his original plan. Never in a million years did Cumba expect to wake up to find himself under the rule of a new king. Which was in a way good, for Cumba's mouth was hanging open as widely as every other Saiyain and that served to shield him from any suspicion that he might have known something about the thing that was the real concern of the general populace. Vegeta's proclamation that he was planning to officially wed the alien slave Bulma Briefs and crown her as his queen.

They didn't like it. Saiyains were not the most tolerant of species and their planet purging trade had made them even less tolerant. But who was going to argue with Vegeta. None of them were strong enough to make Vegeta listen when he really didn't want to. Cumba used to be challenge but since Vegeta's recent Ki jump even he was no longer worth Vegeta's notice. Besides Cumba was not likely to challenge the king. Cumba was too loyal, if there is such a thing. It didn't matter anyway Vegeta was now the king and most Saiyains would follow him as long as he did not display cowardice.

But most Saiyain's didn't have time to do much more than panic. Suddenly banners where being pulled and festivities cancelled all over the planet. They could not celebrate the rule of the old King barely hours after the new King killed him in what was described as a near insane drought of rage by witnesses who arrived in time to see some of Vegeta's interaction with his father but too late to actually save the king. What the old king exactly did was kept a mystery but it had something to do with the alien woman that much was known. Most Saiyains had intelligence to add two and two together and realise that the old king's lust had finally landed him to deaths door. But what was done was done. Saiyain's were not ones to dwell in the past.


Meet was not that far away from Vegitasei, it wasn't exactly close either though. But the journey from Meet to Vegitasei seemed to Bardock to last for eternity. But it had not been long, his wounds were barely healed. But Gohan was fast asleep and Bardock was thankful for it. The boy had taken the killing involved in his first battle a little too hard. But Gohan realised that there was no other choice. Bardock gazed down at the sleeping child nestled in his arms feeling protective and… something else he did not quiet have a word for. He tightened his arms around the boy and closed his own eyes. The visions would come time to time, he knew that, he just hoped that there was a way to make sure they did not come true. But even if the visions did come true he would make sure that the Saiyain race went out fighting.


'What do you intend to do about your fight with Kakarott?' asked Cumba as he tried to get Vegeta

'I fight him as planned.' Said Vegeta indifferently, 'I want to find out how the traitor has improved.' He said as a battle smirk touched his lips.

'What about Bulma?' asked Cumba, 'She is not going to approve.' He pointed out.

'O she won't mind as long as I don't kill her precious Son-kun.' said Vegeta, 'I will stop just short of doing that.'

Cumba shrugged, 'Kill him, don't kill him, it's all the same to me but it will not be all the same for Bulma and what happens to her is not all the same to Kakarott either.' Said Cumba pointedly, 'He cares for her deeply. I kind of get the impression that at some level he cares for in a very different manner than his acknowledged one.'

'What are you saying?' demanded Vegeta, 'He has a crush on Bulma.'

Cumba shook his head, 'No, his wife has uncontested hold of his heart, that not what I mean.'

'Than what the hell do you mean?' Asked a totally confused Vegeta.

'I am saying that Kakarott feelings for Bulma run deeper that feeling for just a friend.' Said Cumba, as he shook his head, 'I can't really describe it properly. It's just a feeling I get.'

'The day I care about the feelings you get is the day I kill both of us.' Said Vegeta in annoyance. Cumba just smiled and got back to work.


Freeza heard the news from Zarbon with a blank expression stampede on his face. But Zarbon could tell that Freeza did not approve of this turn of events. When Zarbon finished he wasted no time in retreating as far away from Freeza as possible without actually leaving the room. But Freeza was not paying any attention to Zarbon, he seemed to be transfixed by the swirling wine in his spiked goblet. At last he spoke, 'What does it matter who is the king? It doesn't my plans remain the same. Tomorrow, after I attend the little match between the new King and the traitor I will leave for my ship and once there the fate of Vegitasei would be sealed. The Saiyains in the new outpost of Earth would also follow in the footsteps of there planet in due time.' Freeza looked out of the window towards the great city and smiled, 'No, this changes nothing, nothing at all.'


'Vegeta's now the king.' Said Kakarott, 'Wow, that so… unexpected and he is going to marry Bulma?' asked he but without waiting for Cumba to answer he went on, 'That's unbelievable!' He exclaimed. 'So what’s going to happen now? What is he going to do about earth? What about Gohan and me?'

'Good questions.' Said Cumba, 'Frankly I don't know. It all depends on how loud Bulma can scream.'


'EARTH MUST BE FREE VEGETA.' Screamed Bulma, 'It's just one little planet. I seriously doubt you'll miss it terrible if it was not longer part of the Saiyain Empire.'

'If it's of no importance than why don't we just purge it.' said Vegeta intentionally goading Bulma into fit of rage.

Bulma screamed and lunged at Vegeta. With ease Vegeta tackled her to the bed and held her tight till she stopped struggling, 'Damn you Vegeta. I swear that if you harm my planet or Son-kun and Gohan I will never forgive you.'

Vegeta chuckled, 'Calm down woman I won't do anything to your precious planet. In fact I'll even move the Saiyain military base to your moon. You little planet will have all the freedom it had before we arrived.'

'If we are to be free than why do we need a Saiyain military presence so near to us?' demanded Bulma.

'It's for your own protection.' Snapped Vegeta, 'And that aspect is not negotiable.'

Bulma sighed, 'Fine, whatever.' She knew better than to push her luck, 'But what are you going to do about Son-kun and Gohan.'

'I don't care about the half-breed brat one way or the other but Kakarott must face me tomorrow. I have trained too hard to back out now.' Declared Vegeta, 'Besides my people my get the impression that I am coward and I can't have that now can I?' he looked down into Bulma's constrained face and smirked, 'Don't worry little one if I am in a good mood I might just stop short of killing Kakarott.'

Bulma looked away but after a minute she turned her face back to him and this time she had a sly smile on her lips, 'Well, I guess I should make sure you are in a good mood, than.' Vegeta smirked as he brought his lips down to touch Bulma's.


What was he going to say? Hi guys guess what does stories about Kanassasei natives possessing weird mental powers and all? Well does are actually true. What's more I have some of those powers now and using that I have seen the future. We are all going to be murdered at the hands of Freeza. Right that was exactly what he was going to say and hopefully he would not be locked up in a containment cell even before he had a chance to prove it. Prove it? How was he going to prove? He didn't know. He'll think of something. 'Better think of something fast Bardock.' he said to himself, 'We are almost there.'


'I hope Vegeta that your ascension does not alter anything between us.' Said Freeza, 'The deal between your late father and myself was quite independent of the king.'

'I will talk about the deal later Freeza.' Vegeta purposely left out Freeza's title hoping that the white lizard had enough brains to realise whatever his father tolerated from him Vegeta wanted to be addressed by his proper title.

Freeza pursed his lips. He did not like not being addressed by his proper title, 'Very well.' He said his voice barely controlled. 'I am afraid that I must leave straight after your little match, that was why I wanted to bring up the little issue of the deal.'

'You should know by now Lord Freeza that Saiyains tend to not think of other things just before a battle.' Cumba interjected. He really did not like Freeza and was going to use Vegeta's partiality to his advice to break of this 'deal' with Freeza once and for all. As such he did not want Vegeta saying something that sounded remotely like a confirmation of the continuance of the deal.

'Of course, how silly of me.' Said Freeza, now having a really hard time controlling his temper. He was going to enjoy destroying the planet.

Vegeta turned a corner to meet up with Bulma, flanked by a dozen or so guards Cumba knew had little or no prejudice regarding aliens and more than blindly loyal to whomever happen to be on the throne of Vegitasei. In short the perfect guards for the new alien Queen. Bulma, however, seemed less than comfortable but as soon as she say Vegeta a light lit up inside of her and she lost all trace of everything else and just became… herself. She wrapped her grabbed Vegeta's arms and fell into step next to him, 'You do remember you promise don't you Vegeta?' she asked as she eyed Freeza uncomfortably.

'Yes, woman, I won't kill your precious Son-kun.' He said, his tone touched by sarcasm. 'Now be silent.' So saying he led her to the royal box.

Freeza was about to follow when Cumba softly interjected, 'Lord Freeza this way please, we have reserved another box for you.' Freeza followed Cumba silently. It had been a long time since someone had dared remind him that Vegitasei was not part of his empire. Freeza was gladder than ever that he was about to destroy the presumptuous monkeys once and for all.


Bardock and Gohan watched the news briefs flash across their screen with jaws open as far as they can go. This was a turn of event not even Bardock's visions did not prepare him for. But strangely enough the moment he heard the news that a new king was on the throne of Vegitasei that his previously crystal clear visions of the doom of Vegitasei started to blur and suddenly he knew what he had to do, where he had to go. Bardock changed the co-ordinates of the pod and programmed into land smack bang in the middle of the arena, where he knew he would find both the king and Freeza and perhaps the also the key to saving Vegitasei.


As soon as Kakarott entered the arena Vegeta jumped out of the royal box and took up a position opposite him on the arena floor. Crossing his arms in his characteristic pose he taunted, 'So Kakarott are you ready to be humiliated.' But Kakarott was not paying attention to him, he was staring up at the sky as if he was tracking something. 'Kakarott what the hell are you doing?' demanded Vegeta not liking how he was being ignored.

Suddenly Kakarott's eyes snapped to Vegeta and he said, 'My father and Gohan are here.' just as he said that a starburst was seen in the sky. The starburst came closer and to those with Saiyain eyes took on the from of a space pod heading towards them in tremendous speed.

'What the hell?' yelped Vegeta as he suddenly took to the air. Kakarott followed as the pod created a large crater that took up half the arena floor.

The pod door flew open and Bardock and Gohan jumped out. They both took to the air but each had a different target. Gohan headed straight for Goku, 'Daddy.' He screamed in joy as he wrapped himself around his neck.

'My King, forgive me for this interruption but…' Bardock proceeded to tell the whole story starting from Meet to Vegeta loud enough for every ear in the arena to catch, including Bulma's.

As he said so Vegeta fixed his gaze on Freeza and watched with interest as his face went through a variety of changes. Changes that left no doubt in Vegeta's mind that what Bardock was saying was true. When he finished Vegeta regarded Freeza with narrowed eyes as a dead silence fell over the other individuals in the arena. At last he spoke, 'I am not even going to bother asking you whether this is true.' He said to Freeza, 'I happen to know that Bardock doesn't lie and the look on your face is enough to convince even the hardest sceptics. Tell me is that why you wanted Kanassasei destroyed?'

'Why I wanted Kanassasei destroyed is unimportant.' Said Freeza, 'What you really should be worried about little monkey is the Ginyu Force.' As he said that the Ginyu force jumped out from behind Freeza and took started doing the Ginyu Squads idiotic posses. As they were distracting the Saiyains Freeza sent out a call to his ship and soon his men where coming down in droves. The Saiyains to were in motion rising up to meet Freeza's men. By the time the Ginyu Squad finished with there idiotic dance moves the battle for the survival of Vegitasei had well and truly began.

'Well, Kakarott it seems destiny has handed you an opportunity to prove your loyalty.' Said Vegeta softly, 'Let's get these clowns.'

'Right.' Said Kakarott, 'Gohan.'

'I can take care of myself daddy, don't worry.' Answered Gohan confidently, 'These are bad people and I am going to make sure they never hurt anyone ever again.' Bardock looked down at the little boy with pride shining through his eyes. But he wisely stepped aside and let the high Ki trio take on the Ginyu Squad. He himself making sure no worthless infantry men got in the way of the battle.

Zarbon took to the air to land his comrades a hand but suddenly found himself being hurled to the ground by the too powerful Cumba. Righting himself he charged towards him just as on the ground the Ginyu Squad charged towards Goku, Gohan and Vegeta.


Freeza watched the battle initially with mild interest. He could have no doubt that his forces would win. But that changed as one by one his men began to fall. The infantry Freeza was only dimly aware of. He only knew that there was a much larger pile of them forming on the ground than there should be. His interest was mainly caught by what he considered to be the main battle in the arena. Zarbon predictably was the first to fall. When he transformed into that reptile thing Cumba generated artificial moonlight and literally stomped Zarbon to death. Thanks to that ball of artificial moonlight almost all the Saiyains turned to Oozaru and began to stomp to death his men.

Freeza transformed into his first stage but no one really noticed.

One of Freeza's surviving soldiers had brain enough to dissipate the artificial moonlight but it didn't matter much they were pretty much done for. Gurundo was the first to fall of the Ginyu Squad, surprisingly he was followed by Rikuum, then it was Baata and than Jisuu. Captain Ginyu tried to snatch Vegeta's body but Bardock suddenly saw what he was about to do and threw a frog in the way suddenly Captain Ginyu found himself qualified for nothing but a position in the frog brigade.

Freeza transformed into his second Stage, than into his third Stage but than he decided to just say stuff it and transformed into his final stage with a bang.


The explosion drew the attention of the everyone to the where Freeza was. Slowly he levitated up from the ruins of the once southern wall of the arena and landed in front of Vegeta, 'So little monkey, it seems that it falls to me to dispose of you.'

'Somebody is going to get disposed.' agreed Vegeta, 'But it's not going to be me.' So saying he charged Vegeta. Goku wisely decided to stay out of Vegeta's way. The battle was brief and ended with Vegeta ending up on the ground severely beaten.

'Vegeta.' Screamed Bulma as she ran to his prone body. Somehow in all the confusion she had managed to come down to the arena floor.

'Woman what…' Vegeta tried to say.

'O don't saying anything just conserve your strength.' She said as she looked up to see Goku have his turn with Freeza.

The battle with Goku lasted a little longer but again it ended with him crumbling at Freeza's feet. Freeza kicked him away and said in taunting tone, 'So this is all the mighty Saiyain race has to offer.' Gohan scrambled over to Goku as Freeza looked over the pales faces of the Saiyain warriors surrounding him. 'Honestly I expected better. But' he signed, 'you disappoint me. O well, it's time to finish you off.' So saying he charged up to Ki balls, 'Or made I'll play with you a little while longer.'


He saw it coming. Rather the saw the Ki ball leaving Freeza's hand and heading for Gohan even before it actually happened. Bardock was not fast when compared with Freeza but the advanced warning he got from his vision did give him time to through himself in front of Gohan at let the Ki ball tear through him instead. 'Grandpa!' screamed Gohan as he cradled Bardock's head in his little arms, 'Grandpa.' He said again as tears began to run down his cheek.

Bardock opened his eyes and smiled, a genuine smile and said softly, 'Good bye Gohan.' His head rolled to one side and his body grew cold to Gohan's touch.


He thought the Ki ball was meant for him. Only when in the last minute that he realised that it was meant for Bulma. Vegeta quickly put his hand in front of it. The sphere exploded upon contact but the blast was enough to end Bulma flying.

'Bulma!' he and Goku screamed at the same time. They saw her lie on the ground like a broke rag doll and something… something snapped inside of them. Their rage, their thirst for vengeance burst out of them in a burst of golden energy that changed the colour of their very eyes, of their very hair.

'You monster!' Gohan screamed as he lunged himself towards Freeza.

'Gohan!' Goku called out, 'This is not your fight.' Gohan looked back to his father in protest but say something in his eyes that killed the protest immediately. Nodding he stepped aside.

Goku and Vegeta floated up till they were eye level with a very stunned, speechless Freeza, 'Now,' said Vegeta quietly, 'you pay for what you did.' Possessed with rage, consumed with vengeance and despite Goku's belief that everybody deserves a change the two Saiyains tore Freeza apart.

* * * * *


Table of Contents
Chapter 11
Epilogue