Summary: An A/U fic that will eventually be a B/V romance. Set in the XIX century, the story of a young woman and the journey that changed her life. (OK that sounded corny, sorry!)

Disclaimer: I don’t own Dragonball or its character and I’m not making money with this story. (I can’t believe it! My first disclaimer! Well, it’s also my first fic.)

Note: I’ve never written a story in English before, so if you see errors, feel free to point them out. (Writing in a foreign language it’s much more difficult than reading it, I discovered!)

However, the idea for this story came to me while reading an insight guide regarding Hawaii. Try to read it and see if it’s worth continuing. Last thing: the names (and last names) of some character are invented, if you know the real ones tell me!

 

The Sinister One
By: Daniela

 

Chapter 1

 

Bulma Briefs was the only child of Mr. Trevis Briefs, a rich and honourable member of Boston high-society.

He was a peaceful man, who avoided instinctively troubles and anything that could interfere with his studies and the placid, pleasant course of his life. His wife, Bunny, was a joyful, although absent-minded, lady who deemed right to grant her only offspring anything she wanted.

And so Bulma grew up to be a spoiled, stubborn and undeniably pretentious young woman. Her father had never tried to give her a "feminine" instruction. He allowed her to learn how to shoot and ride, to read and write before she was old enough to embroider or do other stuff young lady were supposed to do. The rest of her education was left to her sweet mother. She involved Bulma in her many acts of charity and the young girl became an active supporter of crusades and noble causes.

Her life was deeply affected when she learned that her uncle Ox, the only brother of her father, had decided to move in an estate on Oahu, one of the Sandwich Islands, in the Pacific Ocean, inheritance given from his wife’s brother. Bulma was uncertain between envy and wonder: a savage island full of people that needed help and guidance, an opportunity to carry out her attempts to improve the world... And Aunt Harriet and cousin Chichi would go with him, and also Yamcha. If only... if only... But they didn’t invite her to go with them. The relations between the two families lately had become rather tense, ever since Mr. Briefs had developed a violent and sudden dislike against Yamcha Cordel, step-son of his brother.

Many years before, Trevis Briefs had declared that his Bulma would became a real beauty. And he was certainly right: she was a REAL beauty. A beauty, however, totally devoid of coquetry. On the day of her twentieth birthday (and so, according to that time standards, almost on the verge of becoming a spinster) there was no trace of a suitor: unless one would consider Yamcha Cordel, the handsome step-son of uncle Ox. Many young men had looked and admired. But only from a respectful distance: any later approach had always led to an hasty retreat, a further proof that the young Bostonian men preferred by far girls more manageable to that Greek goddess who looked them in the eyes and was too strong-minded. Also, her superior intelligence was cause of great embarrassment: to be outsmarted by a woman was unthinkable! Yamcha had been the only, lonely exception. But Mr. Briefs, in Bulma’s opinion, was absolutely impossible on this matter.

She had not missed that her father (when he had the time to think about it!) was worried for the absence of suitors. Despite this, he had displayed only intolerance for Yamcha’s attentions to his daughter and he had felt a huge relief when Yamcha had followed his step-father.

Since that, Bulma had not seen Yamcha, but, in a secret letter, he had promised her that he would "prove with the force of constancy the ever-lasting nature of his respect" and he would return one day, after having gone up in the world, to ask for her hand in marriage. This, however gratifying, wasn’t very romantic, but neither had been their "love-story". Yamcha had kissed her only once, and even that on the cheek since Bulma, sensing his intention, had turned her head at the last moment. And after he left and the restlessness of the last moment passed, she came to the conclusion that maybe all had gone for the best: till her father interfered, she would not be able to understand with clarity what she felt for Yamcha.

Then, a little more than a year later, Bulma turned twenty-one and became entitled to decide for herself. So she decided to accept the offer that Aunt Harriet made her in a letter: to go and visit them for a few months. Obviously there had been some difficulties. Her father had been profoundly shocked by her decision. It was unthinkable that a young woman such her wanted to make a journey so long in a place so wild without even a lady companion to escort her, and her mother was too delicate for sea-travelling. Even her mother had protested. If only Bulma had looked around her, her mother had said, she would have found out that even there in the Massachusetts there were things that needed to be improved, it wasn’t necessary to go in a foreign country to do good works. But nothing had affected Bulma’s decision: she had always done as she pleased and what she wanted was to go to the Sandwich Islands. Not only to see Yamcha again, but also because she was sure that destiny wanted her to go. She just knew that in that remote island there was work for her and nobody could stop her.

In the end Mr. Briefs had to give up and so, in the spring of 1855, Bulma left for the Sandwich Islands, and for the encounter that would eventually change her whole life.

* * * * *

Well that’s all for now. What do you think? I’d like to receive feedback, if you think I should continue let me know!


Table of Contents
Chapter 2