Disclaimer: I do not own Dragonball Z or its characters, and am merely borrowing them for this Alternate Universe Bulma/Vegeta story. The rating is NC-17 for some nice, romantic love-making. There are also, however, some references to torture and abuse in Vegeta’s childhood, but they are extremely vague. If you are under 17 or would prefer not to read anything with sexual situations, please do not go any further. Please send comments/criticisms to queensaiyajin@aol.com. I love feedback of any kind! And Chapter Five is still in progress—you never know how things will go!

 

Chapter Four: Wishes

 

He hadn’t let a soul near her as he’d flown her in his arms back to Rossdark’s house, taking her into their guest rooms to clean and dress her wounds himself. The Korwal-sei-jin had finally convinced him that a doctor should see her, at the very least to make sure the baby was unharmed. He’d stayed by her side throughout, especially when he’d realized just what the examination entailed. The doctor had confirmed that the child was still safe within her. Just as his woman had assured him, Frieza had not had time to carry out his hellish plan for her. Vegeta shuddered to think what would have happened if he’d arrived even moments later…

She was sleeping comfortably now, and he closed the door behind him as he left her to her healing rest. Rossdark and his family were waiting outside, and looked at him strangely as he stepped towards them.

"Ouji-sama, I am sorry that I did not follow your command. When the lady bid me to help you—"

Vegeta held up a hand to silence him. "There is nothing to be sorry for. If you had not brought me back to consciousness just then, I never would have gotten to Bulma in time." He paused. "I am indebted to you for her life."

"And we are indebted to you, Prince Vegeta. By slaying Frieza you have brought ten years of constant fear to an end."

He nodded. It had still not sunken in completely. His only concern had been for Bulma’s condition. The fact that he had somehow managed to kill Frieza was still a shock even to him.

He noticed then that they were all looking at him strangely, and had been since he’d come back from the battle. No one but Rossdark had dared speak to him, but he realized now they were staring at him in some kind of…awe. Only Pota, the little girl who had taken such a liking to him, had the nerve to walk up to him in her innocence and say what they had all been thinking.

"Ouji-sami, what happened to your hair? And your eyes?"

Completely baffled, he looked into the mirror that the little girl was pointing to, and in utter shock realized for the first time what had been fascinating these people since he’d walked into the room.

His hair had somehow turned to gold, swept up in the glow of energy that still radiated from him. And his eyes…they burned a brilliant green, as if his ki itself shone through them from within. And with none of the fanfare and celebration he had dreamed of all his life, it came to him as a simple fact:

He was a Super Saiyan.

How many times had he thought he’d broken through the threshold, just to realize that he had still not reached the pinnacle of power that was the stuff of legends? And now, it was all too clear that he had finally achieved what hadn’t been in a thousand years…

His ki still burned brightly around him, and as he took hold of his energy, he knew that he had simply forgotten to power down. He did so now, watching his features return to normal, but knowing that inside he was no longer normal or ordinary by any means.

He was a Super Saiyan. And he laughed in spite of himself at how easy it had been when the need had demanded it, rather than all the times he had broken his bones in that search for the elusive prize. Neither his pride, nor greed, nor lust for power had ever been enough to bring him to this. But his love for her, and his need to protect her, and their unborn child, had brought out the transformation without any effort at all. "This is extraordinary," he said in wonder, and the others around him had to agree.

 

Bulma awoke hours later to find herself back in the bed where she and Vegeta had shared their last night before…

In confusion she wondered if it had all been a dream, no, a nightmare, but she was suddenly conscious of the pain where Frieza had dug his claws into her body. She nearly jumped from the bed as the memories came crashing back, looking wildly around for…

"I’m here, Bulma," he said gently as he came to sit on the bed to face her.

"Vegeta!" She threw her arms around his neck, his strong arms around her assuring her that this was no dream, and that they were both alive and in one piece.

"It’s over," he said, kissing her forehead. "He’s dead."

She remembered it now, Vegeta bursting into beautiful golden energy like a newborn sun, crushing the monster who had tormented them both, almost effortlessly. Then flying her back here, gently tending her wounds, his eyes filled with both horror and relief at what had happened and what had not. She smiled up at him now, her eyes brimming with her love for him. "I knew you could do it," she whispered.

He kissed her tenderly, then looked into her eyes. "Without you, I don’t believe I ever would have." At her questioning look, he explained, "It was my need to protect you, and the baby, that pushed me over the edge. That made me a Super Saiyan. Now I am the most powerful being in the Universe." He said it without the bravado that would have been natural for him, adding, "And no one will ever be able to harm you, or take you away from me."

And she knew that power had taken on a new meaning for him; like Goku had learned so long ago, it was something to be used to protect those you love.

He lay down with her then, holding her carefully against him. She let out a small cry as she accidentally leaned against one of her deeper gashes, and it stung even through the bandages.

His eyes widened with concern. "It’s okay, Vegeta, they’ll stop hurting in a couple of days."

He breathed deeply. "Bulma, if only I could have destroyed him before you had to suffer this—"

"It’s okay," she assured him. "Vegeta, you got there before he could—do a lot worse." She shuddered at the thought of it, and saw the anguish flash in his eyes as he did the same. "I’m fine. And the baby is fine. And he’ll never bother us again. That’s all that matters."

He nodded. "In the morning, Rossdark and I will take the dragonballs to the Namek, and summon the dragon."

"Not without me," she warned him.

"Woman, you need to rest—"

"I have until morning, then," she replied. "Vegeta, I want to be there. It’s the moment we’ve been waiting for—"

"No. The weather is harsh, and your air car is destroyed. We have to fly there."

"I’ve got warm clothes in one of my capsules, and you can fly me there. Please, Vegeta. I want to be there when we set everything right. I’ll be fine. It’s not like there’s any danger. Anyway, what if we have to speak the wishes in Namek? I’m the only one that can do that."

She could tell that he was nearly convinced, but still he hesitated. "The Namek Payson can speak our wishes."

"Vegeta, come on! I deserve to be there after all that’s happened!" She’d had enough of pleading with him.

"You are the most stubborn woman I have ever met," he said with irritation.

She smiled, knowing she had won. "But that’s one of the things you love about me," she said sweetly.

The tender look in his eyes told her she was right. She snuggled closer to him, and fell asleep in his embrace, feeling happy and safe for the first time in a long while.

 

The weather was as brutal as he’d imagined, and he cursed himself for giving in to her. He could deny her nothing, and she damn well knew it. So much for being the most powerful being in the Universe, he thought dully. But as he looked down at the excitement on her beautiful face, he didn’t care that she wielded such power over him. He would gladly surrender all to her; he was just grateful that she was his.

"We’re close," she told him as she looked at the dragon radar in her hands.

"Look!" Rossdark called, pointing.

A large, white, domed dwelling was barely visible in the frozen wasteland, but it was definitely there. They made their descent, and stood at the door as the wind whipped about them. It must have been well below freezing, but Vegeta had enclosed himself and Bulma in the warmth of his ki. They banged at the door, waiting impatiently until an elderly Namek greeted them.

"I was expecting you," he said to their surprise. "Come in."

The stepped into a world that was far different from the one outside. Tropical plants grew in hydroponic gardens, and the warmth was that of a spring day. The Namek was looking at them expectantly, and Vegeta was unnerved by the fact that he seemed to know they were coming. Had he detected the movement of the dragon balls?

"Elder Payson, we come to humbly present the first two dragonballs and request to summon the eternal dragon," Rossdark said, bowing to him. "I am Rossdark of the Walegon village, and this is Prince Vegeta of the Planet Vegeta-sei."

The Namek nodded to them, and looked at Bulma. "And who is the young lady whose device led you to the dragonballs?" he asked knowingly.

"She is Bulma Briefs of the planet Earth," Vegeta answered for her, then added, "my wife."

Payson looked from Bulma to Vegeta in surprise. "I did not think Saiyans took wives of other races, especially those they would consider inferior. Yet you are the Prince of all Saiyans."

"I am not responsible for the ideas or actions of others of my race," Vegeta said curtly, annoyed at the man’s brazen invasion into his private matters.

"Oh, but you are, Prince Vegeta. For I know that one of your wishes will be to restore your planet and your race. Considering the history of your people, I question the wisdom of such a wish."

"What right do you have to judge my people?!" Vegeta boomed in fury.

"Not your people, but your wish," the elder man replied with no hint of fear. "That is my job. To make sure you understand the implications of that which you would ask of the dragon."

Vegeta could hear Bulma’s thoughts urging him to calm down, and he did, knowing that this old coot could easily deny them the use of the other five dragonballs if he so desired.

"The Saiyans were a vicious and dangerous race, responsible for the deaths of billions," Payson stated factually. "If you were to bring them back, then every death they cause from that day forward would be on your hands."

Vegeta paled, not so much at Payson’s statement as the fact that the Namek had reached into his head and voiced his own doubts. What he was saying was nothing that Vegeta himself had not already considered. Bulma was watching him, sudden fear in her eyes as she realized the implications. He couldn’t help but wonder how the Namek’s words might affect her view of his people, or worse, of himself, as their Prince. He responded with the justification that he had rolled over in his mind on sleepless nights.

"It was Frieza who forced my people to destroy at his whim. With him gone, and with a second chance for our people, my father will choose a different path for our civilization."

Payson merely shook his head. "You can not be sure of that. And certainly your race was a violent one before Frieza ever used them for his own evil ends."

"They can change!" Bulma said passionately, to everyone’s surprise, especially his own. "Vegeta was corrupted by Frieza, and he’s changed. He’s a good man, and I’m sure there are many good men among his people who deserve a second chance!"

Vegeta was speechless, so moved was he by her faith in him and a people she had never known but through him. Payson seemed less impressed, although he looked at her kindly.

"You see through the eyes of a woman in love," he said gently. "And what would you wish for, Bulma Briefs?"

"To bring back the Earth and her people," she said. "And my friends who were killed by Frieza on Namek and by the Saiyans on Earth."

Vegeta looked away in shame as she made her request. He’d known that she would want to bring back her friends that he and Nappa had destroyed. She’d told him as much. But hearing her voice it in such a way, knowing that he and his comrade had been ‘the Saiyans’ who had caused her such pain, equal in her mind to Frieza at the time…

"And you?" he asked Rossdark, bringing Vegeta from his reverie of guilt.

"To give my children back their mother," he replied softly. "My wife Melza was brutalized and murdered by Frieza and his men."

"Then you should wish for her to be brought back with no memory of her horror or death," Payson instructed.

Vegeta spoke up. "Does that mean you will allow us to summon the dragon?"

Payson hesitated. "You know the requirements? Each of you must remain on Korwal-sei for one solar year, or your wishes will be undone."

"I’m prepared to do that," Vegeta told him, his hope rising.

"We both are," Bulma added, taking his hand.

"You realize, Prince Vegeta, that that will mean you may not return to Vegeta-sei until a year has passed. You will be able to advise your father the King no more than you can from here."

"I understand," Vegeta replied. A lot could happen in one year. He knew that all too well. But he would not lose this chance to see his race reborn.

"Then so be it." With a wave of his hand a crystal bowl appeared before them, with five dragonballs inside. With a grin of satisfaction Vegeta took their two dragonballs and

placed them with the others, watching as they began to glow.

"Let us go outside," Payson said, leading the way.

The sky turned black as night, the howling wind seeming even more foreboding as the enormous dragon took shape. It was easily twice the size of the dragon on Namek. Bulma’s wide-eyed gasp told him that it must be even greater than the dragon of Earth.

"Who has awakened me from my slumber?!" the dragon roared, shaking the ground and cracking the ice with his booming voice.

Vegeta stepped forward, holding Bulma’s hand. "We have," he said.

"What is your first wish?"

Payson whispered, "Allow me to speak them. They must be spoken in the Namek language."

"No," Bulma said, never taking her eyes off the dragon. "I’ve worded these very carefully, and gone over them a thousand times. I want to do it."

She’d spoken in her usual authoritative—no, bossy—way, Vegeta thought to himself with a smile, and even Payson would not question her. With the genius that never ceased to amaze him, she had carefully worded and translated their wishes, speaking them now as if she were a native of the green world.

"Bring back to life Rossdark’s wife Melza, with no memory of her ordeal as Frieza’s prisoner," she said in perfect Namek.

"That is well within my power," the dragon said, almost bored by the simplicity of the wish. "It has been granted."

Out of the corner of his eye Vegeta saw a young woman appear next to Rossdark. Their new friend cried out in joy, taking her into his arms and clinging to her for dear life. Vegeta would never in a million years admit that such sentimentality had moved him, but as the moment he had held Bulma again after her ordeal with Frieza came flashing through his mind, he knew without a doubt what the other man must be feeling right now.

"What is your second wish?" the dragon blared at them.

"Restore the planet Earth and all its people that were destroyed by Frieza," She hesitated a moment, holding her breath, then said in English, "Please…"

"It is done," the dragon said after a long pause. Vegeta watched Bulma’s eyes light up as she thought of her family.

Momma! Poppa!

He squeezed her hand. You’re doing great, he thought to her, and she smiled at him.

Here’s yours now…

Vegeta could barely breathe as she spoke his wish. "Restore the planet Vegeta-sei and all her people that were destroyed by Frieza. Please."

His heart was pounding as the dragon seemed to consider the wish. "Well?" he cried impatiently.

"It is within my power," the dragon said indignantly. "But the consequences of such a wish could be grave. Are you certain you can take responsibility for what may come to pass?"

"Yes!!" he hissed, annoyed at being questioned once again.

"Then so be it." The dragon paused as Vegeta felt the tingle of a billion kis dance on the edge of his consciousness. And he knew that it had been done.

"Your wish has been granted," the dragon said, and Vegeta grinned, grabbing Bulma in his arms and twirling her around.

"Don’t you have a fourth wish?" The dragon asked tiredly, and Vegeta released Bulma to do her work.

"Bring back to life my friends that were killed on Earth and on Namek by the Saiyans and Frieza—Goku, Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo, Dende, Tien, Chaozu…and Yamcha."

"That is well within my power. They will be returned. But first, I must warn you. If you leave this planet anytime before a year has passed, all your wishes will be undone, the planets destroyed anew, and the dead returned to the Other World. In one year’s time, if you have fulfilled your obligation, I will return to grant one more wish."

"We understand," Bulma replied in Namek.

Lightning filled the sky as thunder boomed even louder than the dragon’s bellowing tones. In moments it was gone, as the dragonballs flew in all directions, impotent once more. Vegeta heard Bulma gasp and turned to the direction of her stare. There they were.

 

Kakarot, his son, the two Nameks, the little bald guy, and three other fighters he remembered from Earth stood before them, confused and happy--but alive.

Bulma let out a delighted scream, running to them. She threw her arms around Kakarot, and Vegeta growled. She’d told him so much about their adventures and their long friendship, but knowing intellectually that they had never been more than friends didn’t keep him from feeling a pang of anger to see the bigger man touch her. He walked towards them as she greeted them all, crying what she called happy tears. Especially as she hugged Kakarot’s brat, and Vegeta remembered her sorrow over the boy’s death.

"You’re the greatest, Bulma!" Gohan was telling her.

"I knew we could count on you," Kakarot said, then looked up at Vegeta with a genuine smile. "You’re responsible for this too," he said knowingly. "Thank you."

Vegeta nodded slightly, not having expected any kind words from any of them. He remembered now that Kakarot had seen him at his worst, and wondered awkwardly if the son of a bitch would someday throw it up to him. What would he say when he knew that he, Vegeta, had become a Super Saiyan…?

"Bulma!"

Vegeta turned to see one of Kakarot’s companions run to her and sweep her into his arms. He tried to contain the seething anger that was building inside him, remembering that these emotional humans were always interacting like this…He willed himself to calm down as the human’s embrace seemed to last a moment too long…

And then something happened that made him lose all reason.

The human was kissing her on the lips.

It lasted but a moment, and Bulma herself seemed to be stepping away from the other man. But before Vegeta could control his own actions, he’d grabbed the human by the throat, pulling him away from her and holding him a foot off the ground.

"Vegeta, stop!" Her voice took him from auto-pilot, before he could blast the offender with his other hand. Still enraged, he dropped the human to the floor.

"What the hell did you think you were doing?!" he spat at the dazed man.

"Vegeta, it’s all right," she said, touching his arm lightly. "He doesn’t know. None of them do."

"Know what?" The human had gotten back on his feet, and seemed ready to fight. "What the hell is your problem, Vegeta?"

"The problem is with you trying to kiss my wife!" Vegeta told him, just as eager to settle this with a fight.

The human paled, stepping back, though Vegeta could sense it was more a reaction to his words than a physical threat. The others were totally silent, merely staring at them open-mouthed.

"Okay, you can pick up your jaws now," Bulma said in annoyance.

Kakarot came towards them with a look of complete astonishment. "Bulma, what does that mean…?" He could really be a dolt sometimes.

"We’re married, silly," she told him, giggling as she put her hand in Vegeta’s. This public announcement was utterly humiliating, but he gripped her hand as possessively as he could without hurting her, staring them down as if he would kill anyone who had a problem with that.

Kakarot stepped towards them, looking at her in wonder. "I thought when I hugged you I could feel it but I wasn’t sure—"

"Feel what?" Bulma asked.

Then the clown gave that boyish grin that was so un-Saiyan. But his words made it clear that his powers were a credit to his race. "Vegeta’s ki. Inside you. You’re going to have a baby, aren’t you?"

"How could you know?" she asked in amazement. She looked at Vegeta, and his face softened into a warm smile as he nodded. He had felt the baby’s ki growing stronger by the day, and Kakarot could sense what any Saiyan would have been able to.

It was a boy. And his father’s energy burned brightly in him even now.

"Let’s go back to the town, Kakarot. We’ll explain everything to you there."

 

They’d bid their farewells to Payson, and he had urged Bulma to come back any time she wished to further her studies, so impressed had he been with her linguistic talent. They’d flown back to

Rossdark’s house, and Bulma had nearly cried all over as she’d seen Melza reunited with her children. Then Rossdark’s mother lavished them with a grand celebration feast, and she laughed as Goku and Vegeta seemed to compete to see who could stuff away more food. Bulma couldn’t remember the last time she had felt so happy, so at peace. Everyone she loved was back, and all that was missing was Momma and Poppa. But at least now she knew that they lived, and that she would see them. Maybe they would even come here after the baby was born…

"This is really exciting, Bulma," Gohan was saying enthusiastically. "I won’t be the only Saiyan kid anymore."

"He’ll look up to you, Gohan. Like a big brother," she said happily. It was only fitting, wasn’t it? After all, Goku was like a brother to her. Now their children would keep that connection.

"There are thousands upon thousands of Saiyan children now," Vegeta told him, with a contentment in his eyes that was rare but beautiful.

"Will we get to visit Vegeta-sei, Daddy?" Gohan asked his father.

"I’ve got to admit it, I’d really like to, Gohan. Especially if it means meeting my father." Goku too seemed happier than she had seen him in a long time. Why not? The heritage that he’d thought lost forever was waiting for him to explore. "I think your mother would rather we head home first, though. She’s gotta be worried sick."

"How are we going to get home?" Krillin asked, breaking into the conversation. It was a question no one had yet asked, and Bulma realized she hadn’t even thought of that herself.

"Don’t sweat it, Baldy," Vegeta told him, though the barb was good-natured. "There’s a ship in orbit just waiting to take you wherever you want to go."

At their questioning looks, Vegeta gave them the answer that should have been obvious to her.

"Frieza’s ship. I destroyed him, so the ship is mine. You can use it to take your friends back to Earth."

"Take my friends," Goku said with a suspicious glint in his eyes. "Something tells me you’ve got somewhere in mind for me to go afterwards."

Vegeta nodded. "I can’t go to Vegeta-sei. Not now. Our obligation to the dragon binds us to stay here for a year, or the wishes we made will be undone." He paused as that had time to sink in. "I don’t think you’d want to see that happen."

Goku shook his head, and Bulma knew he was thinking more of the Earth than of his own life. "I don’t know, Vegeta. I’m Saiyan, and you’ve taught me to be proud of that. But so far, our experiences with Saiyans make me wonder if your wish was such a good idea."

Bulma saw a flare of defensive anger in her husband’s eyes. "Not you too, Kakarot. I thought you of all people would want to give our race a second chance."

"I do!" Goku said emphatically. "But even with Frieza gone, can you expect them to change the way they’ve thought and behaved for generations? They’re a warrior race, and even before Frieza, they were taking over planets and killing innocent people. Isn’t that true?"

Bulma braced herself for Vegeta’s explosion, but to her surprise, there was none.

"Yes," he said stiffly, his anger barely reined in. "But they have seen the destruction of their own world now. It will change them. It will change my father. He is their King, and I am their Prince. Beyond that, I am a Saiyan Super. I am the Legendary Reborn, Kakarot. They will obey my commands in this, or they will die. It’s as simple as that."

The cold truth of his words frightened her. He was dedicated to changing his world, and would do anything necessary. Even kill. She prayed it would never come to that.

"I hope you’re right, Vegeta," Goku said, shrugging. It was all too complex for him to even think about. "Just let me know what you need me to do, and I’ll help in any way I can."

"I have your pledge of loyalty then?" he asked, in a manner more regal than she had ever seen.

Goku nodded. "Two conditions. I get to take Gohan and the others back to Earth first. And second—I really want to see you do that Super Saiyan thing. And if you wouldn’t mind, I’d really like a chance to spar with you."

"Ugh! You men and your fighting!" Bulma exclaimed in exasperation. "Isn’t it enough that you fight the bad guys? You gotta fight each other too?"

"Is it a deal?" Goku asked with a gleam in his eye.

Vegeta smirked. "Of course it is. I wasn’t planning on letting you leave this planet without giving me a good challenge."

Bulma just shook her head. "I think I’ll go help Melza in the kitchen. There’s too much testosterone in this room for me."

It was good to see Vegeta and Goku talking like this. Vegeta had taken seriously the warnings of Payson, and he knew that if he couldn’t go to Vegeta-sei himself, he would have to send someone reliable in his place. Even Vegeta had to admit that ‘Kakarot’ was the perfect choice. He was strong enough that the Saiyans would have to take him seriously, and he was probably the only Saiyan alive that Vegeta could dare to trust. And that he would do only because Bulma had assured him he could.

She was walking down the hallway towards the kitchen when suddenly she realized that she was not alone. The one Z-fighter who had been brought back that had not joined in their festivities stood staring at her with anguish in his eyes. And she hated herself for being the cause of it.

"Hi, Yamcha," she said quietly. They hadn’t spoken since he’d learned about her and Vegeta, and she felt guilty as all hell for not having found a more private, and sensitive way to let him know. She’d thought long and hard about their relationship, and had come to terms with the fact that it never would have amounted to anything way before she and Vegeta had even come together. But she realized that in Other World, Yamcha had been clueless as to what was going on in her life or her heart. The part of her that still cared for him as a friend hated to have done this to him.

"Why, Bulma?" he asked with no preamble. "Why Vegeta?"

"Because I love him," she said simply. "Yamcha, I’m sorry. I didn’t want to hurt you—"

"Is it because of the baby? I mean, I don’t even understand how that—how you could have—" He faltered on his words, and she knew that he was wondering how she’d given so quickly to Vegeta something she had denied him for years. "Did he force himself on you? Did he rape you?"

"Of course not!" she told him sharply, offended by such a question.

"Did he do this to you?" he asked, pointing to the scars visible above the neckline of her shirt.

"No. Absolutely not. Those are from Frieza. Vegeta saved my life."

"So you mean to say that in—what was it—a few months that you were with him, you just decided to sleep with him? We were together for over ten years!"

"And how many times during those ten years did you cheat on me?" she threw back at him. "Back when you were playing baseball, one bimbo after another…Do you think I wanted to be just one more in a long line of sluts?"

"I loved you! That was the difference!" he told her.

"Oh, Yamcha," she said, shaking her head. "I know you cared about me as much as you could. But you never really loved me. If you had, you would have been faithful."

He sighed. "Bulma, it’s just a guy thing."

"Bullshit, Yamcha. Goku never cheated on ChiChi. Not every guy is like that."

"So you think that the Prince of all Assholes is going to treat you any better than I did?" he challenged bitterly.

She nodded. "Yeah," she said softly. "He already does."

At that Yamcha could think of no reply. "Good luck, Bulma," he said finally. "You’re gonna need it." With that he walked away.

 

Hours later, after the others had all been given guest rooms in Rossdark’s house, Bulma collapsed on the bed, desperately in need of sleep. The trip to the polar icecap had taken more out of her than she’d admitted, and she was physically and emotionally drained. Except for the awkward conversation with Yamcha, it had all been too wonderful to be real. She couldn’t wait until the morning to try the comm system once more, to talk to Poppa and Momma, and tell them about the baby…

She had nearly drifted off when Vegeta slipped quietly into the room. She closed her eyes waiting for him to join her, surprised when he got under the covers but made no move to touch her. They had never yet slept without at least snuggling together, and as he turned his back to her she knew that something was definitely wrong.

"Vegeta?" she whispered.

"Yes," he answered stiffly.

She ran her fingers down the tight muscles of his arm, feeling his tenseness. "What’s the matter?"

"Nothing, woman, just go to sleep," he replied without moving.

"I won’t go to sleep without you holding me," she said stubbornly, kissing the bare skin of his back and feeling him shiver at her touch. "Today was a miracle day," she said softly. "You don’t seem as happy as you should be."

For a long moment he hesitated, even as she continued to plant soft kisses on his flesh. Finally he turned slowly to face her, his eyes a mixture of desire and angst. What’s bothering you? Please, tell me… she thought to him, unable to see through the troubled wall in his mind.

"Why didn’t you tell me about Yamcha?" he blurted finally, and it all became clear. He was…jealous. He’d spent the evening amongst her friends, people with whom he felt awkward at the very least. And ever-present in his mind had been the moment when Yamcha had innocently tried to kiss her, unaware that she already belonged to someone else.

"I did tell you about him. How Goku and I found him in the desert---"

"I mean about you and him!" he said angrily. "Do you think I’m a fool, woman? You said he was your ‘boyfriend’, whatever that means, when you were a girl, but apparently he still considered you his when he went to Other World less than a year ago!"

"Vegeta, calm down," she tried to soothe him.

"You went to Namek in search of the dragon balls to bring him back to life!" he cried.

"Yes, and Tien and Chaozu and Piccolo," she told him calmly.

"You were still in love with him when you and I—"

"No!" she said forcefully, abandoning her calm. "Vegeta, you’re getting this all out of proportion. Yes, I did have a crush on him since I was sixteen years old."

"A crush?" he asked, as if not understanding the word.

"I thought I loved him once," she explained. "When I first set out in search of the dragon balls, I wanted to wish for a perfect boyfriend. He wanted to get over his shyness with girls. It seemed like we were right for each other. But as time went on, he wasn’t the perfect boyfriend, or anywhere near it. But he certainly got over his shyness with girls, in a big way. He cheated on me, Vegeta. He would sleep with some girl, then try to lie about it, and then beg me to forgive him when he got caught. It happened over and over again, especially in the last few years."

Vegeta considered her words. "He’s a fool for treating you that way."

"Yeah," she agreed grimly, "but I was an even bigger fool for taking him back time after time."

"I’d have to agree," he said dryly.

"Thanks," she said with a smirk.

He looked at her thoughtfully. "Why did you, then?"

She shrugged. "I guess I didn’t think I could find someone better. He was my first boyfriend, my only boyfriend. And I’m a hopeless romantic. I kept thinking that once we made a commitment, he would be faithful. I don’t know. Maybe I just was afraid of being alone. When I wasn’t with Yamcha, I had no one. I didn’t like that."

"Yet you never—" He didn’t seem to even want to voice it.

She shook her head. "It didn’t seem right." She paused, looking into his eyes. "Until I met you."

She reached up and kissed him on the lips, relieved when he responded. "Bulma," he said softly, "I have to confess something. I went looking for you after you left the room. I saw

you—I heard—"

"You eavesdropped on my conversation with Yamcha?" she asked with a feigned tone of reproach.

His cheeks flashed crimson. "Every word," he admitted.

"Good," she said approvingly, totally confusing him, then added, "So then you know what I told him. So what’s the problem?"

He had no answer for that. She slipped her arms around his neck. "Feeling a little jealous and insecure, are we?" she teased lightly.

"Don’t mock me, woman," he warned, though she knew by his look that she had voiced the thing he would probably least like to admit in the world.

"I love you," she said, emphasizing each word. His cheeks grew redder. No matter. She said it again, then kissed him slowly, deeply, until she felt his entire body surrender to her.

Many things changed today, she thought to him as he held her tightly. But not my love for you.

He didn’t answer her. He couldn’t. She knew he had reached that point beyond words or thought where the emotions that were so new, so foreign to him, simply overwhelmed him. He kissed her tenderly, separating from her only when the pressure of his body against her wounds caused her to wince in pain. "I’m sorry… I should have gotten the little Namek to heal you. I’d forgotten he had that power." He rose as if to summon Dende, but she reached out to hold him back.

"Don’t bother Dende now, he must be asleep," she told him. "I’ll be all right until morning."

"Stubborn woman, I won’t let you endure a moment more of pain than you need to." He pulled on his pants despite her protests, leaving the room and returning moments later with a sleepy-eyed Dende.

"I’m sorry, Dende, I told him to wait—"

"Nonsense, woman. You don’t need to suffer like this through the night."

"It’s okay," Dende told her kindly. "If I’d known Frieza had done this to you, I would have healed you before." She watched in wonder as the boy extended his hand over her body, bathing her in a green glow that seemed to flush out her pain. She looked down at her chest, where the gashes had been, to find they had completely disappeared.

"Dende, this is great! I don’t even have the scars anymore! Thank you so much!"

"You’re welcome," he yawned.

He turned to leave, nearly bumping into Vegeta and starting as if he expected the Saiyan Prince to attack him. The Namek boy seemed utterly astonished as Vegeta merely nodded at him and said, "Thank you."

"You’re welcome, Vegeta," he said, his eyes wide with surprise, then left.

"Now, where were we?" she asked, smiling demurely at him as he pulled off his clothes and slipped back into the bed.

"I believe you were saying something about not being able to sleep unless I hold you," he said as he drew her into his arms. He kissed her deeply, unafraid now to press his body against hers, his warmth drawing out her heat, his arousal against her begging for completion.

"I don’t feel much like sleeping anymore," she whispered as his hands lovingly caressed the skin that moments before had been torn and painful.

He began to kiss the trail that no longer held the scars of her ordeal, as if remembering every wound and wanting to cherish the flesh that had been miraculously restored. His warm lips and hot breath were setting her body on fire, yet his gentle attentions seemed so loving and sweet in a way that transcended physical desire. When he’d reached the spot where Frieza’s claws had come dangerously close to their child, he stopped to rest his head against her belly, no longer flat as it had once been, but protruding with the small life within. When he looked up at her, it was with a love more intense than she had ever seen in his eyes, tinged with the anguish of what had almost happened. "No one will ever hurt you again, Bulma," he declared. "I swear to you."

Then he sealed his vow with a slow, deep kiss, as he filled her completely.

They fell asleep later with their bodies and minds entwined, dreaming the same dream of a beautiful new future waiting to unfold.

* * * * *

(Coming in Chapter Five: the year on Korwal-sei begins…But how will Vegeta make sure his father does things right the second time around? Can even the Legendary prevent his race from making the same mistakes? Especially from a tiny planet light years away?)


Table of Contents
Chapter 3
Chapter 5