Hi all! This is one of those 'what if' fics I LOVE =) The 'What if' this time is.well, it should all be painfully obvious in Part One. It's a romance, BV of course and I'm going to make it rated R for Language. Hope you like it! **I know everyone on Vegetaseii is supposed to have a vegetable name, but I wanted the guardian to stand out or be different from those guys. Also, I know earth's guardian is Kami. That's the great thing about these Alternate Universe stories, I can get rid of characters just like that =) In other words, there's no Kami and no Piccolo, okay? Any other explanations will be made at the end of the chapter. Enjoy! =)

**{} are for thoughts.

__-----____----____

 

Under Different Circumstances
By: Bulma16

 

PROLOGUE

 

In a time of late, much further back than anyone can remember, there was the appointment of guardians. Each planet possessed one, whether the guardian did it's job or not is a completely different story.

Our story is not about the guardians of these planets. It is about a hastily made gamble between two guardians, many years after their appointment.

**** ***

Devin and Ima

"I believe you owe me 550 notes, Devin."

Devin nodded grudgingly. "Aye, that I do. I'll have it sent to you as soon as I can."

Ima smiled good-naturedly. "Don't stress over it. I can wait. How are things on Vegetaseii?" she asked, changing the subject.

"The same as usual," Devin admitted angrily. "I just can't control them! I don't know what to do."

"I am so sorry Devin. I only wish I could help you," Ima whispered to him, her deep brown eyes locked onto his.

Devin sighed wearily. "No one could help me. I have to do this myself."

Ima gasped. "You aren't planning on killing them are you?" Silence. "You mustn't! You'll be punished!"

"No, I'll be thanked. I'll be saving the universe from a race of vicious barbarians" he said tiredly.

"They don't deserve that. It's not their fault."

"How can you say that! How is it NOT their fault?" Vegetaseii's guardian asked curiously.

"Their vile natures are clearly based on environment! Behavior is learned from those one grows up with."

Devin shook his head. "I have to disagree with you on that one. Behavior is choice. How one is brought up has nothing to do with it."

Earth's Guardian sighed. "I suppose we will never know which one of us is right."

"Wait!" The excited male Guardian slammed his fist down onto his open palm. "We CAN do it. It'd take a lot of work, but don't you think it'd be worth it?"

Ima gazed at him, puzzled. "Well yes, but how would we do it?"

"Come with me." Devin held her hand and they were instantly transmitted to Time Tower.

"Why are we here?" Ima asked, ignoring the beautiful scenery and squinting in the direction of the very top window in the tower.

"Oh good. Fate is here today," Devin said aloud, ignoring her question. They quickly climbed the stairs and entered the tower, stepping over other lounging guardians on their way up.

"How do you know that?" Ima asked curiously.

"I can sense her. Can't you?"

The Guardian shook her head a little ashamedly. "I'm afraid not."

Devin patted her should reassuringly. "It's just something I picked up from the Saiyans. Don't worry about it."

The walls around them glowed blue and silver, adorned with pictures of each planet's guardian. To one corner there was a blue and silver desk and chair that blended into the background. Sitting in the chair was a stocky young woman with long auburn hair, typing away at a blue and silver computer. She turned as she heard their footsteps, pushing her glasses back onto her nose. "Is there something I can help you guys with?" Her voice was soft, a lot like a whisper. But those who knew her knew that she was as hard as nails.

Devin cleared his throat. "Yes, we have a sort of.proposition I guess you could call it. We'd like to--"

"You want me to change the fates of certain individuals," Fate interrupted, crossing her legs.

Ima gasped. "How did you--"

"It's my job to know these things. My answer is, surprisingly, yes. I gave it a lot of thought once I saw the potential outcomes of this experiment and I found two people who I am curious to try this on."

Devin bowed respectfully. "If I may suggest something."

Fate smiled; a rarity. "Please go ahead, and you needn't be so formal with me. Most are not."

The Guardian blushed. "I apologize if I have upset you."

"Don't. I appreciate it. Please, go on with your suggestion."

"Right," Devin said nodding. "I have a subject in mind. A man who I've found in this time to be extremely trying, coarse, and rude." He jerked his thumb in the direction of Ima. "If she's right, making his environment more pleasant will make him a better person."

"You are speaking of.?"

"Vegeta the Second. I didn't think it was possible that anyone could be denser than Vegeta the first, but I guess I was wrong. His son is 500 times worse," Devin grumbled.

Fate turned to her computer, her fingers flew across the keys. She tapped her foot on the linoleum floor and the sound echoed in the vast tower. "No, I'm going to have to deny your request. Fifty four years from now, Prince Vegeta the Fourth will be born. I will alter his lifestyle, but his only offspring will be the target."

"And what about the person from my planet? Who do you suggest I choose from there?" Ima asked, a little intimidated by the knowledgeable woman.

"His soul mate of course," Fate said, her voice harsh, making it painfully obvious she neither liked nor approved of the two.

"Let us consider several things first," she said, turning to face them again. "You want to choose someone from Vegetaseii, a planet inhabited by ruthless monsters. So, you also choose someone from Vegetaseii's mirror planet, Earth, in hopes that either the two people will change if you change their environments, or not." She raised an eyebrow at Devin, silently asking him if all that she'd said was right so far. He nodded.

"You need me to change their current fates, which would be that the two live together.somewhat peacefully. Do NOT ask me how, because I am not permitted to do so. I'll just say that the Saiyan 'barbarian' isn't as 'bad' as some but definitely nowhere near as 'good' as the other earthlings. If I change their fate, Vegeta will be the one raised with love, and Bulma raised among hate. Interesting experiment, I will let you know once I have determined the winner. I hope you two are amused by this. Farewell." She turned back to her computer, dismissing them.

The two guardians looked to each other and shrugged, leaving the Tower.

"I will see you then. Good luck," Ima said, smiling coyly.

"You're the one who'll need the luck. Farewell."

**** **** **

And so the lives of two people were changed before they were even born. A bet made with the lives of people. Who knows what impact this could have on the universe? There's only one way to find out. Let's take a look. **

***** ***

 

PART ONE

 

* On Vegetaseii , many years after the bet was made*

"I heard he was dropped on his head."

"No, he was injured during battle."

"Don't be ridiculous! Everyone knows that his father starved him while he was a child."

A cloaked figure standing in the rear of the room chuckled. "You're all wrong. He was raised by his mother.an alien."

The group gasped at the stranger's words. "Why wasn't he distanced from her?"

The stranger sighed in exasperation, stepping forward. "His father was away on a purge. His mother was the only one around willing to care for him. His father was killed in battle, so she was the one that raised him."

"No wonder he's so weak," one of the men muttered.

"No!" the stranger denied vehemently. "That is why he is so strong. I admit ending purges just because his father died in one was foolish, but the King is one we must watch. Don't take him lightly."

***** *****

*In the King's quarters*

"Is she all right?"

The doctor bit his lip and sighed as he shook his head. "No, I'm afraid not. There's nothing we can do to save her now. What we can do is let her go painlessly, if you wish."

King Vegeta didn't really hear anything past the first sentence. He nodded his head absently, still trying to come to terms with his mate's death. He didn't notice the doctor's piteous look as he left, shaking his head sadly.

{How did this happen? I am at fault here. I could have done something to help her. Damn you Myna, why are you leaving me? Why are you leaving our son?}

"I can't do it alone," he said aloud. He looked up a few minutes later to see that his son was standing before him, a scowl on his face.

"Father," he said, bowing like he'd seen others do.

King Vegeta smiled slightly. "Stand up, boy. You don't have to kneel to me; you're my son."

The young prince stood up. "Father, Mother is dead now. I saw them take her away."

The King winced at the flat tone in his son's voice. "Yes.I know." He struggled to keep himself composed before his off-spring.

Young Vegeta uncrossed his arms and hesitantly took a step forward. "Are you.are you sad, Father?"

The King looked into his son's eyes. "Of course I am. I cared about your mother very much."

The Prince scowled again, blinking several times. "Nappa said feelings are weaknesses. He said death is normal and that it happens everyday so I should get used to it."

The King made a mental note to find his son a more suitable training partner. He didn't reply, because he sensed that his son had something else to say.

The six year old lost his angry expression and he began to look like a lost little boy as he spoke. "But.I.it hurts. Damn it, it hurts!"

The King inwardly sighed in relief, glad to find at least a hint of decency in his son. "It is only normal to care for those you are close to son. When a person dies, they are not lost forever. Your mother is waiting for you in The Beyond. One day, when you are old enough to be King, I will join her, but by then you will have a mate of your own to love."

Prince Vegeta clenched his fists, his young face scrunched up into a scowl. "Why bother with the love crap if all it brings you is pain?"

The King laughed humorlessly. "I must admit, you have a point son, it can be painful. But while the two of you are together, it will be the most wonderful thing. Even better than becoming the Legendary."

The Prince brightened at the mention of the Legendary Super Saiyan. "Better than that?"

The King smiled as the image of his former mate came to mind. "Much better. I hope you will also find love one day my son."

**** ****

* On Earth , three years before the Queen's death* Vegeta's third year

"Damn it, where the hell is the whiskey?"

A servant scuttled to the kitchen and grabbed it from the counter. "Right here my lady."

Exclamations of laughter and loud cheering came from upstairs.

"What the hell is all that ruckus about?" The mistress asked, tossing the whiskey bottle to the floor.

The cook ran down the stairs, her cheeks flushed bright pink. "Oh Missus! It's just so wonderful! The baby was finally born!" she exclaimed, wiping joyful tears from her eyes.

Mrs. Briefs scowled. "Stop your tears you stupid bitch. The arrival of the baby means added chores onto your duties. Are you able to comprehend that?"

The cook flinched and lowered her gray head submissively. "Yes madam."

The brunette sneered scornfully down her nose at the frightened woman, then alighted the stairs without another word.

She paused outside the guest room, then finally thrust it open, finding satisfaction in seeing surprise in everyone's faces. Many people quickly exited the room, until Mrs. Briefs and her husband were the only two remaining in the room.

Vanessa raised an eyebrow as she met the eyes of her husband, Doctor Briefs. "Where is it?"

The graying doctor looked away from her. "With her mother."

His spouse growled angrily. "Do NOT refer to that poor trash as MY baby's mother. As far as the child will know, I am its birth mother. See to it that the silly blonde maid you fucked is paid, as we agreed."

"Yes dear," the doctor stated automatically.

Vanessa smiled gleefully. "What shall I name her? There are so many beautiful names.like Angelica, Melissa, Patricia, Genevieve, or--"

"None of those. The baby's already been named," the doctor interrupted, his voice soft, yet determined.

Vanessa's eyes widened in shock at her meek husband's rebellion. "What?"

"Her name is Bulma," her husband said slowly, a little nervous.

Mrs. Briefs shrugged. "Very well dear, if you wish it, it shall be so. I want to see her, right now."

The Doctor nodded his head. "I'll go get her." He left the room, being careful not to brush against his wife.

Vanessa frowned pensively. {I better watch him. I can't let him gain control of things, or he'll have me thrown out and will replace me with that stupid blonde harpy. As long as I can keep her distanced from him and the baby, I should be okay}.

She looked up when she heard a baby's cries coming steadily nearer. For the first time in her life, Vanessa felt nervous. {What if the baby hates me? What if I hurt her? Oh Ima, give me strength.} She held out her pale arms impatiently, and snatched the baby from her husband's arms. She smiled as she met the deep blue eyes of the tiny baby. "She's beautiful," she said softly in amazement.

Her husband looked on her with new eyes, shocked to see that his amazon wife looked so.womanly and fragile with the baby in her arms. Also, her eyes had taken on a softer quality. He found himself feeling guilty for what he'd done to her.forced her into marriage with him, and then..well, he didn't like to dwell on it too much. {From now on, I will try my hardest to keep Ness happy, no matter what.}

Vanessa pushed tiny strands of blue hair away from her baby's face, not realizing that she was developing a bond with the baby. Bulma reached out a hand and held onto Vanessa's finger tightly, watching her solemnly. Vanessa smiled at Briefs. "I think we're going to get along just fine."

********* **

*On Vegetaseii, eight years after Bulma's birth*

"Nappa! Damn it Nappa, get your ass down here before you get us killed!" Vegeta shouted.

His training partner ignored him, still trying to look into the house and catch a glimpse of the woman inside. Down below, on the ground, he heard Vegeta say, "Oh shit." He turned around only to find the man of the house glaring at him.

"You little punk!" He yelled, blasting into the air and chasing after Nappa.

Nappa took off top speed, looking for Vegeta, who was long gone by that time. {Some pal he is}. A blast tore into his shoulder and Nappa howled with pain. His adrenaline gave him a new kind of power and he flew even faster, in the direction of the palace. He sighed with relief, stopping when he realized the person chasing him had given up and left. He levitated in the air, scanning for Vegeta's power level, using the new technique his friend had taught him. "Found you," he said, taking off in the direction of the market.

He landed beside Vegeta, who was munching on some kind of fruit. "Why didn't you tell me someone was coming?" Nappa asked, stealing one once the vendor moved to the next customer.

Vegeta shrugged. "I thought you'd be fast enough to escape." He smirked evilly, swallowing. "I guess I was wrong."

Nappa growled. "I could have been killed! Look at my damn shoulder."

The Prince rolled his eyes. "It's only a scratch Nappa, don't lose your head."

"You're the only one who's going to lose his head boy-o, I'll get you for what you did." His friend promised.

"I guess I'd better keep my guard up," the young Saiyan said, unconcerned.

Nappa growled again. "You've got a big mouth for an eleven year old brat, Vegeta. Maybe I should shut it for you."

Vegeta smirked, throwing the core of his fruit to the ground. "Get real Nappa. You're 8 years older than me and I can still best you any day of the week."

"Hey you two!" a seductive voice purred. "Would you like to sample my merchandise?"

"You're for sale?" Vegeta asked, raising an eyebrow.

The woman shrugged. "Usually not, but I'll make an exception for you two," she said winking.

"Such an offer. How can I bear to say no?" Vegeta said sarcastically, shaking his head. "I'll pass, whore."

"That's no way to talk to a lady, Vegeta," Nappa chided, reaching into his pockets for money.

The young Prince raised an eyebrow. "I see no lady here."

The prostitute ignored him, letting Nappa get a better look at her cleavage. "I've got a room just over there." She jerked her head to her right in the direction of a dilapidated shanty.

Nappa winked at Vegeta, putting an arm around the woman's shoulders. "You've got a lot to learn boy. I'll only be a minute. Wait here." The two walked off.

Vegeta scowled after them, taking off into the air. "Like hell I will."

He decided he would go talk to his father about finding another sparring partner, one more dedicated to training and not so dedicated to the pursuit of women.

********* ****

*Earth, five years later*

"No, Bulma is not here! Stop calling here damn it!"

Bulma flew down the stairs. "Mother, was that Stephanie?"

Vanessa shook her head. "No, it was that idiot Mary. She wanted to come over and 'play dolls'."

"Gross! Dolls are for babies." The thirteen year old posed for a minute. "How do I look?"

Vanessa nodded her head. "Decent I suppose. And why are you trying to look nice for a piano lesson child?"

The blue-eyed child blinked her eyes innocently. "No reason."

"Leave the piano teacher alone Bulma. He's married with a child your age."

"Mother!" Bulma exclaimed. "I know that. I'm just--"

"Teasing him," Vanessa finished, sighing in mock exasperation.

Bulma shrugged, putting her hair halfway up. "Something like that."

Vanessa looked at her daughter when the doorbell rang and glanced at her watch. "He's right on time. Pay more attention to your lessons Bulma, and less attention to-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know." She strolled into the parlor and sat down on the piano bench, facing the door, a smile on her face.

Mr. Ivories cleared his throat nervously, placing his hat on the couch. "Good morning Miss Briefs. Are you ready for today's lesson?"

Bulma nodded. "Oh definitely." She turned around and held her hands above the keys, just waiting for him to ask her to do something.

He sighed in relief as he was able to put some space between them. "Play something by Chopin please."

Bulma yawned, but played the most difficult song she could remember, executing each note perfectly. She turned around expectantly once she finished, waiting to gauge her teacher's reaction.

He was floored. "Wow.how long did it take you to learn this? How long did you practice?"

The thirteen year old sighed. "A grand total of ZERO minutes. I'm just talented I guess."

"That's amazing. You have outstanding talent, you could really go places with talent such as yours." Jim raved, his eyes growing starry as he imagined his name in lights. {Jim Ivories and his star pupil make millions.yeah}.

"I'm a lot better at other things," she said slowly, looking him squarely in the eye.

Her words didn't penetrate his thoughts and he made an indistinguishable noise absently as he imagined receiving awards from all over the universe. {Dunce pupil turns into star overnight.amazing}.

Bulma scowled. {What the hell is this guy's problem?} She turned around and slammed a hand on the keys angrily, jolting Jim from his reverie.

"Oh, uh, well I guess this session's over. I'll keep in touch, okay?" Jim Ivories snatched up his hat and dashed out of the room before having to witness Bulma's fury.

She stood up and somehow managed to calm herself. {Be calm Bulma, be like Mom. Don't let this make you lose your temper.} She sighed aloud and walked into her mother's sitting room, plopping down in a chair across from her.

"Well?" Vanessa asked, raising a dark brown eyebrow as she looked up at her daughter.

"I don't want to talk about it," Bulma growled, tapping her foot. "Can we go shopping or something?"

Vanessa shook her head. "Can you not wait a few minutes Bulma? Your eagerness unnerves me."

"Impossible," Bulma said quickly.

"What waiting? No, I disagree--"

"No, I don't think you could ever be upset, Mother. How do you stay so.calm all the time?"

Mrs. Briefs glanced down at her magazine. "Years of practice. Why don't you start practicing daughter?"

A timid knock sounded on the door. "Come in," Vanessa said, not looking up.

A blonde woman walked in with a dusting rag in her hand. She made a surprised noise and stared at Bulma until the teen became uncomfortable.

"What is it maid?" she snapped.

The blonde quickly regained her senses. "Oh! I just.need to speak to the missus."

Vanessa looked up finally, containing a gasp when she recognized Bulma's true mother. "Bulma, leave us alone. Close the door behind you."

"What!? Oh this is rich," Bulma exclaimed, standing up. She glared angrily at the blonde on her way out. The doors slammed shut behind her.

Vanessa rose, her face expressionless. "What do you want trash?"

"I-I want to be able to see her.my child."

"Don't you dare talk about her that way! I am her mother! I raised her! She is my child!"

Melinda Corset shook her head wildly. "I carried her for 9 months! She's mine! I'll tell her the truth myself if I have to!"

Vanessa paled slightly, but quickly regained her composure. She smiled slowly. "Very well Miss Corset, you can go ahead and tell her everything. Don't forget to mention the fact that you SOLD her to me for less than 3,000 dollars."

Linda burst into tears. "But I had no choice! You forced me to."

"Stop your damned blubbering. There's only one thing I hate more than crying and you've already done that." Vanessa sat down, leaned against the cushions of the couch and crossed her legs. "I hold all of the cards here. You try explaining to a very emotional girl like Bulma that her mother- a servant and an ignorant one at that-is not really her mother. It's not going to happen and if it does, expect the worse."

"I just want to see her.to know her like you have," the maid whined, wiping away her tears.

"You sold your right to that," Vanessa said coldly. "In the eyes of everyone but you, she is mine. Be glad I let you keep your job. Be gone before I change my mind."

****** ****

*Vegetaseii, one year later* Bulma 14, Vegeta 17

"Rock.paper.scissors. Onio is out. Rock.paper.scissors.Radditz is out. Rock.paper.scissors.Nappa is out. Rock.paper..scissors.Bardock is out." Vegeta grinned. "I guess I'm the winner."

"Lucky bastard," Nappa growled.

Zarbon tried again to stand up but he could not find the strength to do so. "Vegeta, you'll pay for this."

The Prince raised an eyebrow and smirked to his men. "I don't think so Zarbon. It's about time you realize that when I say get out of my face.I mean it. I won so now I get to finish you off." He chuckled loudly when he sensed the alien's fear.

"Vegeta.don't.please don't."

Nappa jumped in. "He begs for mercy? Vegeta hurry up and kill him, he doesn't deserve to live."

A ball of energy appeared in Vegeta's hand and he held it above Zarbon's head.

"Go! Hurry up!" Nappa shouted.

The ball disappeared and the Prince turned his back on Zarbon. "No. There's no honor in this. Let him go."

"Don't be weak Vegeta! Don't be your father!"

Vegeta disappeared and reappeared in front of the enraged Nappa, grabbing the front of his training gi. "You dare insult the King?" he said softly, his face blank, but his eyes promising hell.

"He is weak, Vegeta and you know it! He's hampered by feelings and emotions, it hinders his fighting. He's starting to rub off on you."

"So I'm weak am I? I can easily beat your ass into the ground so what the hell does that make you?" The Prince laughed shoving the taller man to the ground. "I'd kill you if I thought you meant what you said Nappa. I know you're just an imbecile, unable to think for yourself."

Nappa seethed on the ground, avoiding the stares of the other Saiyans there.

Zarbon forced himself to his feet and eyed the Saiyans surrounding him warily.

"Let's go," Vegeta said, taking off into the sky. His comrades obeyed, flying after him and trying to keep up.

****** ***

*In the Throne Room of the Palace*

"Son. Come here please."

The prince bowed respectfully before the throne. "Yes father?"

The King struggled to come up with the proper words. "I-I know that as a-a well, as a Saiyan, I've been what some would consider weak, since I've banned purging, rapes, and murders, and that you may have to deal with some crap because of that."

Vegeta shook his head. "Never Father."

"Liar," his father laughed. "Nappa told me everything and apologized. In a short time you will be of age. Since we both know that you're already much stronger than me, I will just let you have the throne, rather than fighting you for it."

"Everyone respects you Father, perhaps you should stay King until I'm ready," Vegeta suggested.

"You're ready. By your 21st birthday, you will be perfect," the King said softly.

Vegeta frowned, not liking the direction the conversation was going. "What about you Father?"

King Vegeta smiled fondly at his only son. "I will be joining your mother in The Beyond." He stopped smiling and a pensive frown lit upon his face. "I will begin preparations for your ceremony. I've found someone to do the music.some guy from that underdeveloped planet.Earth. I believe one of the names is Jim Ivories. I've heard a lot of good things about him."

Vegeta nodded absently. {With a name like 'Ivories' there's only one instrument he could play.} "Let me guess, they're both pianists?"

The King nodded. "Why yes! Nappa told me you love piano music so I contacted them and booked them."

"Great." Vegeta reminded himself to beat Nappa within an inch of his life. Piano music was anything but the kind of music he enjoyed. To tell the truth, he didn't really enjoy music period. But he wouldn't let his father know this.

"Son.I must tell you something else. Something you won't want to hear."

Vegeta raised an eyebrow. "What is it, Father?"

The King spoke slowly, his face indicating just how painful this was for him. "I received an odd request today from.well, the request was from Lord Freeza. He.he wants you as one of his officers and to receive training beneath him."

"Training with Lord Freeza? Why me?"

"I don't know my son. I wish I did. It's your decision whether you wish to do this or not. He's giving you a month to decide."

The younger Vegeta frowned. "But isn't the ceremony-"

"In 2 weeks? Yes, you're right, it is."

"That's asinine! I would be serving under Freeza as the King of Vegetaseii! Father, I won't do it."

King Vegeta laughed humorlessly. "I'm afraid so my son. If you decide to go through with the training, I think it'd be better that you were King. Just in case Freeza attempted to pull something."

Vegeta scowled. "Like what? What could he possibly do?"

"Anything he wants to. I only ask you to think it over and be ready for your ceremony when the time comes."

"As you wish, my King."

****** ***

*On Earth, 2 days later*

"This is fallacious," Vanessa grumbled.

"I'm sure Bulma will be fine," Dr. Briefs said, standing behind his spouse.

Vanessa turned around to face her husband. "So you're on their side?"

"Not necessarily.I'm just saying that you raised Bulma to be a very bright child. I'm sure she'll make the best decision concerning this," the man said nervously.

His wife nodded her head slowly. "I guess you're right. I'll go speak to her." She walked up the stairs and into her daughter's room. She met the eyes of the child, who was filling a capsule with her clothes and makeup.

"Mother," Bulma said, dropping her sweater. "I.I've decided that I WILL go with Jim. I'm sorry but this is my decision and I think it's for the best."

"Playing piano for some rotting old geezer miles away from home? Why do that when there are rotting old geezers here on earth to play for?"

"Oh, Mom," Bulma said, smiling. "I'll only be gone for a couple of weeks, two and a half weeks at the most."

Vanessa sat down on the bed, smoothing her silk skirt as she did so. "I know that. I'm just concerned."

"About me? How sweet," Bulma teased, placing shoes into the capsule.

"No, I'm worried about Jim. How will the poor lad put up with YOU for so long?" Vanessa said solemnly.

Bulma laughed aloud. "I'll miss you too, Mother."

Vanessa nodded curtly. "Make sure that you do. Show the aliens what earth women are made of."

"You don't have to worry about that. You know I will."

**** *****

*On the front lawn of the Briefs mansion*

"Bon Voyage! Bon Voyage! We'll miss you!"

Vanessa glared at the servant woman screaming at the sky beside her with a hint of moisture in her innocent eyes. "Will you shut up! For Ima's sake, her ship has been out of sight for the past 30 minutes." {You'd think the girl was leaving forever.damn. What's the big deal?}

******* ******

*Onboard the ship, in outer space*

"Wow, this is so cool!" Bulma said as she gazed out of the window. "You should come see this Jim."

Jim Ivories was sitting in a chair, clenching at the arms of the chair with his eyes squeezed tightly shut. "NO I don't think so.flying isn't really my thing."

Bulma turned her face and looked at him skeptically. "Just how long do we have until landing?"

"Ten days," Jim groaned.

"Cool," Bulma said, smiling mischievously.

**** *****

* On Vegetaseii, 5 days later *

"Just when are they expected to arrive?"

"In six or more days My King."

The King frowned. "Couldn't they get here any faster?"

The flight technician eyed his space charts and shook his head. "No sire, I don't think that is probable. It's amazing that they're even going to get here that fast."

"Damn it," the King muttered, pacing back and forth. "When do you expect the guests and the food will arrive?"

"Uh.they'll both be here a day early. The food will arrive in the morning and the earliest guests will arrive late that night."

"Dismissed," the King said. He sighed wearily. {I know it will sadden Vegeta that the pianists won't make it in time. Oh well, maybe I can find some other entertainment.}

******* *******

*Outside of the training rooms*

"Beg for mercy," Vegeta ordered.

Nappa struggled to free himself and then howled in pain as Vegeta pushed down on his arm.

"Never, I'll never beg."

"Then apologize," Vegeta growled, twisting the older Saiyan's arm.

"For what?" Nappa asked, hiding a smirk.

Vegeta growled angrily. "The pianists you dumb fuck! I hate piano music almost as much as I hate accordions and harmonicas."

"I didn't hear you mention tambourines or anything else. Maybe you hate piano music so much because your mom--"

Vegeta savagely twisted his arm again, causing his sparring buddy to curse aloud. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry." He was immediately released, much to his relief.

Vegeta smirked. "That's nothing compared to what's in store for you next," he promised, walking out of the room.

Nappa watched him leave, a frown on his face. "What could you be up to Vegeta?"

***** *********

* Two days later, onboard the ship*

".and 6 and seven and eight. Hold two, three, four, five, and six, and seven and eight.okay, that was the last set. Great workout ladies! I hope you had as much fun as I did, see you next time on Sweating with Suzy Smith!"

Bulma switched off her exercise disc and exhaled loudly, fanning herself with one hand.

Jim looked up from his magazine. "Must you do that every five hours?"

She frowned at him, toweling her face. "I can not keep a sedentary lifestyle. For Ima's sake, you've been sitting in your chair long enough to grow roots from your ass! Why don't you get and move around or--"

"You know very well why not," Mr. Ivories interrupted, his face paling at the very thought.

Bulma Angelique Briefs snickered. "Because you're afraid. You're as yellow as they come. Damn, and to think I had interest in you at one point."

Jim's face rapidly turned red and he struggled to speak. "What? That's nuts.I'm--"

".'more than twice my age and the father of a daughter my age'," Bulma said, mocking him and her mother at the same time. "I'm no fool, I know that."

Her piano teacher frowned. "Bulma, your thinking can't be normal. Maybe you should see a psychiatrist or something."

Bulma laughed quickly taking a few sips of her bottled water. "Maybe you should. Your fear of heights can't be normal.especially for someone who lives on a mountain."

Jim winced. "Well my wife--"

"Is a controlling bitch who tells you what to do and uses sex as a weapon against you," Bulma said, her tone sarcastic.

Jim looked on his pupil with shock. He made his voice and face stern. "You listen here young lady--"

"No," Bulma interrupted. "YOU listen. After this little fiasco with the aliens is over, I will have no more use for you Jim. Consider this your one- week notice."

***** *

*The day before the ceremony, on Vegetaseii*

"Good night, King Vegeta."

"Good night, my King."

"Until tomorrow, King Vegeta."

Vegetaseii's ruler nodded his head in acceptance of all the farewells he received from his guests, waving. He raised his dark eyebrows when he noticed his son minutes later, returning to the throne room with one of the guests. By the look on the prince's face, he was as surprised by the small woman's personality as the king had been when he'd first met her, many years ago.

Lolita Mezcla smiled up at the King, curtseying. "The palace is as beautiful on the inside as it is on the outside Vegeta, and your son was kind enough to show me nearly every room."

The Prince looked away from his father's grateful look, embarrassed.

Lola laughed prettily at his discomfort, her hazel eyes shining brilliantly from her bronze face. "So, are you having to ward off suitors yet Vegeta?"

Prince Vegeta looked horrified at the notion. "I've made my desire not to be joined clear. I believe everyone here understands that."

"A pity," the Nimerian sighed. "I only wish I could have introduced you to a friend of mine. She lives on the moon of my planet. You two would have gotten along very well."

The King cleared his throat. "If you don't mind my asking, Lola, which of your planets are you talking about?"

Lolita smiled. "I don't mind at all. I'm actually proud of my mixed heritage. She lives on Nimer's moon. My parents are from different ethnic backgrounds. My father was from earth, which is why I am small in stature as one of your Saiyan guards was sure to mention, and my mother was a Nimerian, which is why I bear one of the marks on my forehead." She put a finger to the small star-shaped mark, as if confirming its presence. "Anyway, I'm looking forward to the ceremony. I heard there'd be a lot of hot, sexy gents there. Sweet dreams you two." Lola quickly walked away from them, to her quarters, her bare feet making no noise on the floor.

The King raised his brows at his son, who was shaking his head incredulously. "Where does such a small woman find so much personality?" the King said, guessing at his son's thoughts.

"I was trying to figure out what her angle was."

His father laughed. "She has none. She's rich and she's nosy. Don't be fooled by the cheery, ditzy facade about her, she's as ruthless as they come. You mess with her son, and you may find yourself in a load of trouble."

Prince Vegeta made a dismissive noise. "What could she do to me?"

"Kill you. Or use her powers to drive you to insanity. She's a powerful mage.handy with a sword too," the King said ruefully, absently placing his hand on a 5" barely visible scar on his leg.

"I respect your warnings father, but I think the female would find herself outmatched if a confrontation between us would occur."

The older Vegeta shook his head sadly. "Son, you just showed some of your major faults.all of which could be your downfall."

His son raised an eyebrow skeptically, crossing his arms over his chest. "I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about."

"Very well then," King Vegeta sighed. "I shall list them for you. One, your egocentrism, two, your lack of respect for women, three, your tendency to guess outcomes or gamble, and four, your under-estimation of opponents."

The Prince felt his face heat up in both anger and embarrassment. He bowed stiffly before his father. "The Faulty One asks permission to retire, sire."

The King sighed, his eyes pleading his son to hear him. "Son, I told you those things to help you, not hurt you. I think you've had enough of me for one night.good night."

His son turned and left, avoiding looking at his father.

King Vegeta sighed. {I tried.I hope he heard me.}

****** ****

*That same night, onboard the ship*

"Come on ladies! Put some steam into it! Yeah! Now let's do our kicks.ready? Okay! And one and two and three and four and five and six and seven and eight! And one and two and three and four and five and six and seven and eight! And one and two and three and four and five and six and seven and eight! All right, don't' forget to blow all the air out. Okay, let's do our combos.everybody ready? Okay, and."

The disc droned on and on. The sugary sweet voice of the instructor never stopped, never wavered. Jim was beginning to hate Suzy. He and Bulma hadn't been speaking. He'd tried to assert authority.but it didn't come off very well with his star pupil.

The only time she spoke to him was when she asked him two and a half hours ago (before she began her 'Advanced Tae Bo Workout') what music she should play at the ceremony. He'd told her it didn't matter. They were performing for some warrior race that wouldn't know Mozart or Beethoven from The Backstreet Boys. She didn't find that amusing. She just gave him a look and walked away. Something about her was really frightening him now.he didn't know why he hadn't noticed it before.

"She's pure evil," he whispered beneath his breath, watching her punch the daylights out of an invisible assailant. "She's going to kill me," he muttered softly to himself. "Just as soon as she gets tired of me."

As if she'd heard him speaking about her, Bulma switched off her Tae Bo disc and walked up to her piano teacher, her frigid blue eyes burning into his. Bulma sat down on the floor at his feet and looked up at him, the innocence he'd associated her with earlier written all over her face. "Jim, I'd appreciate anymore info you could give me on the Saiyans.just so I know what to expect tomorrow."

The pale man swallowed nervously. "Well, I only know that they're a warrior race.or they used to be. They used to be involved in the take-over and selling of whole planets. Their new king has changed things. Now they've put all of their efforts into technology. You could find fighters there who'd gladly give up their current lifestyles to fight by your side. They're big on honor, respect power. I, uh, got you this gig because of some ceremony the king is having. One of the guys there owed me a favor and I got him to mention me to the king."

Bulma frowned. "Why would they want a pianist? Wouldn't they prefer watching bloody battles for entertainment, since they like to fight so much?"

Jim shrugged. "I don't honestly know."

"I wonder what I should wear.hmmm. you know anything else about the king? Is he married? Is he rich?"

"He's single, and I guess he's pretty wealthy. He must be if he can afford to hire us."

Bulma rose from the floor and lifted and eyebrow quizzically at him. "US? I am the one playing for the old geezer, aren't I?" She sniffed haughtily. "I don't even know why you even bothered to come."

She blew Mr. Ivories a kiss as she walked to her room. "G' night Jim."

He gulped nervously, forcing a smile. "Good night."

****** *****

*The day of the ceremony, 1340*

"Nine days until you must decide whether or not you want to become an officer of Freeza." Nappa nudged Vegeta with an elbow. "Do you know what you're going to tell him?"

The young prince nodded grimly. "I knew from the beginning. I'm going to decline his offer."

Nappa frowned. "Why?"

"There's something about him I don't like. Besides, I'm not answering to him.running around the galaxy as his damned lackey."

Nappa's mouth momentarily gaped open in shock. "You're going to turn Freeza down? Are you insane? Freeza's men are among the highest respected men in the universe!"

Vegeta rolled his eyes, throwing his soiled gloves to the floor. "Can't we drop the subject? It's my choice and I still have time to change my plans if I want to."

Nappa threw his tattered armor into the scrap heap. "Yeah sure. You looking forward to tonight?"

The prince laughed as he removed his virtually untouched armor, sitting on a bench. "Not really. The only perk out of this whole ordeal will be the food Father is having sent here from different planets."

His sparring partner winced as he pulled his gloves from his burned hands, then nodded in agreement. "True. And your elevated status once your father 'officially' acknowledges that you'll be king in a short while."

Vegeta threw Nappa a blue tube of burn cream once he noticed his friend's discomfort. "That's good AND bad."

"What the hell could be bad about it?"

"More responsibility."

Nappa cursed as he applied the cream to his palms. "You're seventeen years. It's about time you grow up and become an adult."

Vegeta stood up and laughed at his friend's words. "Become a responsible adult like you?"

Nappa grinned. "If you're lucky, you might end up like me someday."

"Oh, 'Devin forbid'," Vegeta said, mocking both Nappa and one of Nappa's old 'female companions' at the same time.

Nappa chuckled and threw the tube of cream at Vegeta, rubbing his fully healed palms together. "Oh just you wait boy-o. Someday I'll put you in your place and if I don't someone else will. Someone who'll be sure to rub it in your face and trumpet the loss to the world."

Vegeta laughed. "That day will never come."

********* *******

*TIME: 1515, Hangar D*

"Thank Ima for the ground," Jim whispered to himself, taking his first step onto Vegetaseii's soil.

Bulma ignored him, pushing her navy blue tinted sunglasses up her nose as she looked around. "This is it?"

Jim coughed. "No, this is just an airport. One of the cheaper ones actually.the ship will remain here in Hangar D, right where we leave it.." He took his pupil by her shoulders and guided her toward a tall man who had showed them where to land. He stood there looking very intimidating with an odd device fixated over his left eye. "Excuse me," Jim began, trying not to be anxious around the much larger man. "Would you please take us to see the King?"

The Saiyan looked the two of them over, his eyes narrowing when he finished looking over Bulma. "What do you two want?"

Jim cleared his throat nervously. "Uh.well."

"We were hired to be the entertainment for the ceremony tonight. He's Jim Ivories and I'm his 'star pupil, Bulma."

The Saiyan glanced at Jim, then turned to some other Saiyans that had come to his side. He barked at them rapidly in a foreign language. He snatched a pad of paper from one of them, flipped through it and quickly scanned it for their names. He glanced at the two humans and nodded, then pointed at them, yelling something to one of the Saiyans that had come to at his shout. He turned back to them. "This moron will take you to see the King. Someone there will show you around."

"It's about time," Bulma muttered as she followed their less-than-willing guide.

"Let's just get this over with so that we can get paid," Jim grumbled, rolling one of his capsules between his fingers.

The two humans trailed behind the Saiyan, who offered them no courtesies, nor did he pay them the slightest bit of attention. Bulma managed to keep up, but leaving an appropriate amount of space between them, and Jim was lagging behind.mostly because he was trying to take in the scenery.

His watch read the time as 1522, but it was already dark outside, the sky appeared to be black/purple. They'd left the port not long ago and now they were walking a barely visible path to what Jim only hoped was the castle. Deep black clouds were in the sky barely visible in the black of the day. There was no moon, no suns, nor any stars in sight. "How very strange," Jim said to himself, stepping over a fallen tree limb. He'd seen several structures he assumed to be dwellings scattered throughout the vast terrain. He saw a few people who he would have thought to be humans if they all didn't have odd hair, brown belts, and those odd devices on their faces.

After climbing a difficult hill, they found themselves in front of the palace.

Bulma sighed in relief as she took note of the large palace and the many gold decorations she thought to be valuable. "There's definitely wealth here." She tightened her grip on her black purse strap, biting her lip as she tried to think of what kind of strategy she should use on the Saiyans to best win them over.

"Are we going to go see the King now?" she asked, calling ahead to their silent guide.

He said nothing in return, choosing instead to lead them through the front doors and down a long ornate corridor. At the end of the corridor was only darkness.Jim absently wondered what happened to the lights.

Bulma's eyes narrowed when the guide stopped and bowed toward the darkness. She could see nothing and she was sure Jim couldn't either. She looked down beneath her feet as she tried to figure out what was going on and saw a red carpet going into the darkness. She looked up with a smile on her face as she took a step closer to the dark. "Is the King of Vegetaseii present?" Her eyes slowly grew accustomed to the darkness and she could make out a person silently watching her from the inky black. She curtseyed prettily. "A pleasure to meet you, your Highness."

Ivories bowed also once his eyes adjusted. "You still want a pianist for tonight?"

King Vegeta stepped forth from the shadows a small smile on his face. "Oh, yes I'm just surprised that you made it here in time. Is that your daughter that you've brought with you?"

Bulma frowned. "No. I am the pianist. He's just here to take up space."

The King's eyes widened in surprise. "You are so young! All pianists that are famous now are much older. You must have incredible talent," he finished, his voice respectful.

Bulma felt herself genuinely smiling. "Thank you very much."

The King cleared his throat. "Let's get down to business. Tonight is a very important ceremony that I am throwing in behalf of my son, the Prince. A friend of his told me he enjoys piano music.which is why you're here. I don't know what songs he'd like so I'll let you two decide what to play. I'd like you to begin playing around 1800, dinner is at 1830. You'll sit with me, of course since your presence is so important to me. Please enjoy your stay. I'll have someone show you two to your room."

"Thank you, your Highness." Bulma curtseyed again.

The King nodded. "Thank you for coming. Your compensation will be given over before you leave. Ah, there's Nappa. He will take you to your room now." The King quickly gave Nappa a warning glance, which the younger Saiyan pretended he didn't see as he walked past the King and took them through a less ornate corridor.

He smirked at Bulma, who was looking at him curiously. "You're a cute one. What are you doing here on Vegetaseii? Are you another one of Vegeta's fancy guests?" He quickly looked over her blue jean skirt, low ponytail, red blouse, black leather shoes and navy blue sunglasses. "What planet are you from anyway?"

Bulma smiled mischievously. "Yes I am a 'fancy guest.' The King asked me to come here. I'm someone VERY important from the planet earth." She ignored Jim's groan and beamed at the amused Saiyan.

"Yeah, sure," Nappa replied, not believing her. "You haven't got the snooty aura of one of those ultra-sophisticated moron types."

The human female shrugged. "I'm young. It'll come to me in a couple of years."

"Yeah, and when it does, maybe I'll visit you up there on your pedestal."

Bulma laughed at his words. "Don't bother. I'll have other 'ultra- sophisticated morons' around. Why would I need you up there?"

Nappa guffawed. "Spunky."

"Damn right."

Jim sighed. "Are we going to our room sometime soon.like this century maybe?"

Nappa's eyes left Bulma's and he nodded at the tired teacher. "Yeah, sure thing. Just follow me." He led them through halls of closed doors until he found the right room number. "This is your room, number 126. Last one available since all the super snobs are here." He grinned at Bulma. "I enjoyed our little talk so I'll be kinder to you than I was to the snooty ones. Here's a map of the castle and the grounds. See you two around." He winked at Bulma and left.

"That was interesting," Bulma said cheerfully, pulling the door open and stepping inside.

Jim closed it behind him, a nauseated look on his face. "No, that was disgusting. That man was probably older than me, which means he's definitely more than twice your age, and he--"

"Blah, blah, blah. So what? Nothing happened, so why don't you just chill out Jim? Ima! If it wouldn't be an insult to her, I'd say you were acting like my mother."

Jim scoffed at her words. "Your 'mother', yeah right. You're so damned naïve."

Bulma looked at him in surprise. "What?"

"You actually believe." he trailed off, laughing at the confusion on his pupil's face. "Looks like I finally have one over on you. Who would have thought."

"You're not making any sense, Jim."

He stopped laughing, slowly taking his best suit from the capsule he'd been holding since they landed. "Have you ever noticed that you don't look anything like your 'mother?'"

Bulma clenched her fists angrily. "What the hell is that supposed to mean? I take after my dad, it's not all that uncommon."

He chuckled as he pulled out his black shoes. "Did you ever find a resemblance between yourself and someone else. Like."

"Like who?" Bulma demanded, her heart beating faster and her voice at the brink of hysterics.

Mr. Ivories sighed. "Think about it, my dear. Who has Vanessa been sure to keep you away from? Who has always had a job at the house, even though she does nothing right?"

Bulma fell to her knees and used her sweaty palms to keep herself from falling completely. Her sunglasses fell to the ground along with her purse, unnoticed by either person in the room. "No.no. You're lying.she can't be.". She groaned as an image of a meekly smiling woman with curly blonde hair came to mind.

"Why not? Because she's poor? Because she isn't Vanessa?" Jim mocked, looking down at her. "If you were to get off your damned high-horse for a moment and talk to her, you'd realize she's a much better person than either you or Vanessa could ever hope to be."

Bulma couldn't stop the tears. "Oh Ima help me. This can't be happening to me." She looked up at Jim, tears shining in her eyes. "Why? Why did you tell me now?"

Jim shrugged, ignoring the pangs of guilt and regret he felt as he saw his pupil crying on her knees. "Why not?"

The female looked away from him, then slowly got to her feet with an effort. She felt and looked five years older and wiser. Bulma gave Jim a cold smile, any trace of her previous distress long gone. "I must prepare for the ceremony." She picked up her purse which contained her capsules and walked to the bathroom, stepping on her sunglasses and crushing them on the way. She slammed the door loudly and locked it.

Jim stared down at the broken sunglasses and wondered if he'd done the right thing.

****** *****

*TIME: 1645, outside of the Prince's quarters*

"Vegeta! Hey Vegeta!" Nappa knocked on the prince's door again. "Are you in there?"

Vegeta opened the door, his eyes quickly growing accustomed to the light. "What?" he asked, his voice raspy.

Nappa frowned at his shirtless friend standing in a pitch black room. "You been sleeping?"

The Prince nodded once. "I needed it. I haven't slept in weeks."

Nappa shrugged. "If you say so. Don't forget, you have about thirty minutes until you're supposed to be in your father's presence.

Vegeta's eyes widened. "Oh shit, I forgot." He turned around and switched on a light. He nodded for Nappa to enter and take a seat. "Keep an eye on the time for me, all right?"

Nappa laid back in the cushions with a sigh. "Yeah, sure."

Vegeta closed his door and entered his bedroom, quickly finding his formal garb. He showered and dried off, getting dressed as fast as he could. The Prince walked out of his room, pulling on his white gloves with the gold trim. "What time is it?"

Nappa looked up from the spot on the floor he'd been staring at. "Huh?"

Vegeta rolled his eyes. "What time is it now?"

Nappa glanced down at his watch. "It's 1720. Damn it Vegeta, you take as long as a woman to get dressed."

The Prince glared at his friend. "Shut the hell up, Nappa. Let's go before my father has my head for breakfast."

His friend nodded, getting up. "Let's go." He followed Vegeta from the room, closing the door behind them.

"You excited?"

Vegeta looked back at him in surprise, stopping in his tracks. "Not really. Why should I be?"

It was Nappa's turn to roll his eyes. "Your old man is ONLY about to announce that you're going to be King soon."

Vegeta shrugged, ignoring the sarcasm in Nappa's voice. "Not until I make my decision. Just drop it Nappa."

"All right, all right," Nappa said, sighing. "Hey," he said cheering up. "I've got a treat for you! I met this spunky little wench today. Right about your age and as sexy as hell."

Vegeta rolled his eyes and began walking again. "Nappa, I'm not interested in any woman who you think is--"

"No, no! You got it all wrong Vegeta. She isn't one of them. She's a guest of your father's."

Vegeta shrugged. "That doesn't lower the likelihood that she is probably a whore."

"She isn't, trust me. She's not one of those types. She's really short.shorter than you, thin, she has BLUE hair.and I couldn't see her eyes because she was wearing some kind of colored glasses over her eyes."

The Prince snickered. "Blue hair? You've got to be shitting me, Nappa. That I've got to see for myself. What's her name? Maybe I can get Father to point her out after the ceremony."

Nappa cleared his throat. "I, uh.I didn't find out what her name is."

Vegeta slowly turned and looked at Nappa, a look of disbelief on his face. "Don't tell me you're that stupid Nappa," he said, turning away from his friend in disgust.

The older Saiyan scratched the back of his head sheepishly. "I guess I am."

******* *****

*TIME: 1735, outside of the Grand Hall*

"I'm so glad you finally decided to come, Vegeta."

The Prince bowed respectfully. "My apologies."

The King nodded his head in approval. "Quite all right, my boy. I actually suspected this would happen, which is why I made sure you have nothing to do." He nodded a greeting to Nappa and indicated that they should stand.

Nappa cleared his throat, shooting a quick glance at the younger Vegeta. "King Vegeta, if I may.I'd like to ask the name of female I escorted to her room earlier."

The King thought for a moment and shrugged. "Blossom? Belle? Bolivia? All I remember is that it starts with a "B" and she has blue hair." He raised his brows when he noticed his son and Nappa exchange looks. "Why do you ask?" he inquired, his voice full of suspicion.

Vegeta shook his head at him. "Nothing, Father. I was just attempting to learn the names of all my guests."

Nappa chortled. "For Devin's sake Vegeta, your father won't be appalled to hear that his only son has taken interest in females again."

King Vegeta coughed deliberately, shaking his head at Nappa.

His son had tightened his fists to keep himself from striking his friend and clenched his teeth to contain the angry words. He blew air out of his mouth slowly, counting back from 25, unclenching his fists. "Nappa, I swear to you that when I get the chance I will decimate--"

"King Vegeta! It is 1750 and the guests are already arriving."

The King stood up from the throne, grateful for the interruption. He stood next to his son, blocking his view of his friend for a while. "Good. We'll be there shortly. Make sure facilities are available for usage."

"Yes, sire."

The King clapped a supportive hand on his son's shoulder and looked down at him with great pride. "It is almost time, son. Prepare yourself, for even though you won't take over tonight, everyone will consider you the King henceforth."

Prince Vegeta nodded. "I understand. I will." he couldn't think of just the right words to say but his father just nodded in understanding.

"I know." He smiled sadly as he left his son standing there with Nappa.

His friend yawned in boredom. "Hey, when's this soiree over?"

Vegeta rolled his eyes as he crossed his arms over his chest. "Damned if I know." He glanced down at his watch. "It's already time for this thing to start. Where's the--"

The sweet sounds of a piano made him stop in mid-speech.

***FLASHBACK***

"Now Vegeta, this has got to be our little secret, okay?"

Vegeta looked up at his mother, confused. "Why is it a secret?"

She smiled fondly at him. "Because I want to surprise your father. If I practice in this training room, no one will be able to find out until I'm ready for him to know." Myna patted a spot on the oak bench beside her. "Want to keep me company for a while?"

Her son nodded, pulling his small body onto the bench, glad to be spending time with his gentle mother.

She sighed as she flipped through her music book. "What shall I play?"

"Beethoven," Vegeta said, repeating one of the names he'd heard his mother mention earlier.

Myna glanced down at the young prince in surprise for a moment. She smiled and nodded. "Good choice Vegeta. I have just the song in mind. Watch carefully now."

***END OF FLASHBACK***

The Prince of Vegetaseii swallowed hard, trying to get rid of the lump that was ever so slowly moving down his throat.

"Hey Vegeta," Nappa repeated for the fourth time.

"Huh, what?"

"You okay?"

Vegeta nodded, meeting his friend's eyes for a moment, any signs of his previous state of distress long-gone. "Yeah. Let's go get this over with."

"Right-o."

**********

*In Room # 126*

It'd taken a good while for her to get dressed to her own satisfaction. Mostly because she was too upset to have kept her mind completely on what she was doing at the moment. She'd told herself over and over that Jim had only been trying to get one over on her.and had been for only Ima knows how long.

He was nowhere to be found once she'd finished dressing. "Good," she'd muttered to herself, not sure exactly why she said it.

Though she was young, she prided herself on her advanced fashion expertise that made her look at least a couple of years younger.

Bulma had smiled coldly at her reflection. Her forest green v-necked dress went to her knees and she wore black platforms along with it. Around her neck, she wore a necklace of silver and gold and she wore matching earrings, bracelets, and hair barrettes. Her aqua hair was simply pulled back away from her face, since she was too preoccupied to bother with it.

"I'm ready for them," she'd said aloud, flexing her fingers. She'd grabbed her gold and silver purse and the map Nappa had been kind enough to give her, and went to find her way to the Great Hall (or Grand Hall) where the ceremony was to be held.

She'd walked up to a Saiyan in blue and white armor and tapped him on his shoulder. "Where's the piano? Do you know?"

He had frowned at her and began speaking in a strange language. He sighed in exasperation at Bulma's confused look and pointed in the direction of King Vegeta-who'd just walked through the doors.

Bulma got to him as quickly and gracefully as she could. "Your Highness.I'm afraid I don't know where the piano is."

The King had nodded at her, rubbing his chin absently. "I forgot to tell you. My deepest apologies. The piano has just been carried in and it's just over there." He escorted her across the large room and gestured toward the piano, rubbing the oak bench lovingly. "It belonged to my wife.I didn't even know she owned it until I found my son with it days after.after she died." He cleared his throat. "It's in good condition. If you have any problems or concerns, just let me know. The sheet music is in the seat."

"I won't need it." Bulma sat on the bench and touched each key experimentally. She nodded her head in approval once she was done. "Your wife had great taste. It's a wonderful piano."

King Vegeta sighed sadly at the mention of his deceased spouse. "Yes.well, onto more cheerful things now. At 1800, I want you to start playing just anything until the spotlight that'll be on you goes out. My son will make his entrance, blah, blah, blah. The I'd like you to play some dancing music once I give you the signal." He stopped when he saw a skeptical look on Bulma's face. "What is it, my dear?"

"I.I guess I just didn't expect Saiyans would-"

The King laughed good-naturedly. "You thought we'd be a bunch of ignorant apes waving clubs?"

Bulma blushed. "No! I just heard that you guys are warriors and warriors usually don't have much appreciation for music or anything associated with fine arts."

"Warriors, yes; senseless barbarians, no. I'm glad I proved you wrong. I've worked hard during my rule to destroy the terrible image people had of us. Perhaps you'll grow to like us in time and maybe you'll discover that you and I come from similar races."

"I'm sure I will," Bulma said smiling.

"Anyway, I believe you only need to play 5 songs until we eat. You will sit with me since you are such a special guest to my son and I and every other Saiyan here. I also want you to meet my boy. I have the feeling you two will find much to talk about." He looked up when he heard one of his men yelling excitedly about the food. "Pardon me," he said, leaving her side.

Bulma had sighed after he'd left and stared dismally at the ebony and ivory keys. After Jim had told her the truth about Vanessa she was feeling somewhere close to hysterics. {I only hope playing will occupy my mind and calm me down for a while. Funny to think how I despise piano and only began to play so that I could flirt with Jim.and now I'm playing to fight the urge to kill him.}

She glanced down at her silver and gold watch; 1758. Bulma worked a crick out of her neck, not even noticing when the lights went out and a single spotlight shone down on her. {Be calm Bulma, personal matters are separated from business at all times. Business comes first.} She poised her fingers above the keys, the only thing on her mind was Beethoven's Symphony #9. *

*In the Grand Hall*

Lola hesitated as she approached the piano bench. Her mind kept telling her over and over that there was something about this girl she should look into. {She could be useful as an ally and dangerous as an enemy. I should keep up my guard.}

Many of the Saiyans that had poured into the room somewhere around 1755 were just as surprised and impressed as she was. The girl had a certain aura about her that demanded attention and the Saiyans gladly gave it to her. Music was something they didn't hear very often.at least nothing like this. While most welcomed the foreign girl and her strange music as an unexpected surprise, other Saiyans sneered. Music-to them-was only a waste of time. As much a waste of time as other over-exaggerated earth pastimes and customs.

Lola, who was born in a world where music was taken for granted, was awed. Not just because the girl executed the song flawlessly, but that she could play it while detesting it at the same time. Of course, this wasn't obvious to all, but to one in touch with emotions-especially the easy to read emotions of a human-it was as apparent to her as the star-shaped mark on her very own forehead.

Lola clasped her hands behind her to hide her excitement. {The girl looks like someone I would enjoy knowing.perhaps I should ask one of the Vegetas for an introduction.}

***********

*Outside of the Grand Hall*

Prince Vegeta was so engrossed in his thoughts that he didn't even notice his father's presence until he felt his flowing cape brush against him. He looked up at the older man, careful to hide his emotions from his eyes.

The King nodded in the direction of the piano, which was all he could see from where they were standing. "What do you think of the music so far?"

His only son looked away from him, trying not to let his father see the pain in his eyes. "It's.it's pretty good."

His father nodded in agreement. "I have arranged for you two to meet since you both have such a love for music, Vegeta."

Prince Vegeta winced, wishing Nappa hadn't left his side to use the bathroom. "Thank you father, but I don't know who or what you're talking about."

His father glanced at him sharply. "The pianist boy, who else?"

Vegeta's eyes widened. "Someone's playing the piano?"

"Of course son. It's no recording. The girl's down there playing your mother's piano probably as beautifully as your very own mother."

{How would you know? You never heard her play.} Vegeta thought, glad his father had never taken the time to learn how to read minds.

King Vegeta's eyes lit up in realization. "Oh, I see. You can't see over the people standing around her. If you need to levitate off the ground son-- "

"I'll be fine," Vegeta spat angrily, turning on his heel and going the back way up the stairs.

His father chuckled good-naturedly. "Sometimes I think he's too sensitive about his height."

He stood where he was for a few more seconds until he felt Nappa approaching him quickly. He glanced at the Saiyan, raising an eyebrow in question. "What is it?"

Nappa had a grin on his face. "That's her! That's the girl I was talking about! But she said she was a guest here.not a piano player."

"Does it matter?" the older Vegeta said, leaving the same way his son had.

******* ****

*In the Grand Hall*

Bulma played on, pretending she didn't notice the King's guests closing in on her. {What the hell are they doing?} she wondered, holding a note a second too long. She looked up from the keys, only to find that everyone was looking away from her. Her spotlight disappeared and she ceased playing immediately, folding her hands in her lap, a look of immense relief on her face.

The eerie darkness and stillness of the Grand Hall would have scared her five years ago, but her 'mother'-she still couldn't believe that Vanessa wasn't really her mother-had found something else that scared her even more.failure. The very word made Bulma tremble a little and feel much smaller than she really was. It only lasted 20 or 40 seconds and when a spotlight appeared at the head of a staircase she found it to be a welcome distraction.

King Vegeta appeared first and behind him was a person about a foot shorter than him who Bulma at first thought was a younger brother, until she remembered that King Vegeta had mentioned his son and how the ceremony was for him. Everyone in the room simultaneously bowed to show their respects to their ruler and his son. Bulma stood from where she'd been sitting on the piano bench, a smirk on her face as she stood over everyone else, her arms crossed. ******* *****

*In the Grand Hall*

Vegeta found it to be much easier to swallow and breathe now that the pianist had stopped. What surprised him was that he'd never known until now just how affected he was by his mother's death. {I'm soft.} He thought, his face full of self-disgust. He glanced in the direction of his father, who was only inches before him. {Maybe Nappa was right.} He switched his gaze to the crowd as he and the King slowly descended the marble staircase, searching for Nappa. Vegeta's eyes quickly went over all the bowed heads, searching for a bald one.until he met the eyes of a certain blue-eyed, blue haired female.

She stood a little to the side of the piano along with a crowd of others, her arms crossed, her face full of defiance. Vegeta's smirk matched her own. {So this is the one Nappa was talking about. Interesting. Maybe I should say something to get her in trouble for not showing proper respect to royalty.}

He and his father finally descended the final step and stood side by side at the bottom. King Vegeta cleared his throat and held up his hands. "All may rise."

Everyone rose and the Prince lost sight of the defiant wench in the crowd. He shrugged and switched his gaze elsewhere, still trying to spot Nappa.

His father purposefully brushed against him to get his attention. "My son, Prince Vegeta V, has been given the option of becoming a part of Lord Freeza's army."

A few people gasped, many others looked jealous. Those who'd come from planets Freeza had destroyed looked horrified.

The King cleared his throat again. "I've decided that it would be in the best interest of Vegetaseii if my son was made the new King. He is more than qualified and I'm certain he's ready for the task ahead."

Cheers filled the room as the Saiyans agreed with the King's decision. The prince seemed unmoved and bored as he stood before his people, a slight scowl on his face. "I'm ready for anything and I will rule the planet as justly as my father before me."

His father nodded. "PRO REGE, LEGE, ET GREGE."

The Saiyans repeated the phrase, a few pumping there fists in the air to show their loyalty. "PRO REGE, LEGE, ET GREGE."

***** *****

*Somewhere in the Grand Hall* {There she is. Well, at least she's still here. I lost her after everyone stood up. I've got to keep an eye on her.she may ruin this gig for us and then we wouldn't get paid.} Jim straightened his tie and eased past a couple with purple skin and light blue eyes. {I'll just find somewhere to hide until the night's over.}

****** ******

*In the Grand Hall*

Bulma finally sat back down. {Why bother paying attention to this shit? They're all speaking a completely different language anyway. The King was done talking and now the Saiyans were socializing in their foreign tongue. The blue haired female sighed as she began to play again, thinking of the broken light switch at home. She smiled wistfully once she realized what she was doing.'You're senseless tinkering with those machines has me believing you're about as stupid as your father. You aren't stupid are you dear? Good. Now put that nerdy science shit away. There's a good girl.' Vanessa's words cut her deeply then. Now she was glad to remember it. {I'm not like her.} Without realizing it, she'd just finished the first song and gone into another. It was so easy for her to just tune everything around her out. Detachment was something she'd learned from Vanessa.

She didn't even flinch when she felt someone tap her on her shoulder. She continued playing and turned her head slightly, trying to get the person within her sights. She lifted an aristocratic blue eyebrow slightly in suppressed alarm. The person before her was female.that much was clear. She looked like an earthling.except for the odd star-shaped mark on her forehead. She was also considerably short.in comparison to the person standing beside her. With her was a scowling man with handsome facial features.the scowling man just happened to be the Prince.

"ABSIT INVIDIA," the short woman said, her voice cheerful.

"EWIG-WEIBLICHE," Bulma said, turning back to her playing.

The woman understood her (apparently) and laughed. She spoke quietly to the Prince in his language as if she was explaining the joke. The Prince's face remained impassive. The alien woman sighed and turned back to Bulma.

Bulma cleared her throat. "Before you start, I don't really speak German. I just know that phrase."

"It was well said," the alien female said in flawless Standard. "My name is Lola, and this sexy piece of manhood standing beside me is Prince Vegeta." She smiled astutely. "Sadly, the Prince is still learning Standard so he can't understand much of what we say."

Vegeta scowled when he heard his name but said nothing. He couldn't. {That damn piano music, why the hell won't she stop.}

As if she could read his mind, Bulma finished her last song and turned to face them, a cool smile on her face. "My name is Bulma." She stood and looked the Prince in the eye. "Hello."

The Prince tried to remember all the blasted words his drunkard grammar teacher had tried to teach him on the one day that he was sober. {What is the proper response?} he thought, his face not revealing his inner turmoil. He found one, though he had the feeling that the response was not the best. "Hi." He vaguely heard his father saying something in the background, but he paid him no mind.

Bulma felt a strange feeling inside at hearing the deep, slightly accented tones of the Prince. Her smile never wavered as the predatory look came into her eyes. "So how are you doing Prince Vegeta?" She raised her eyebrow again as she appraised him. "Just how much of what I'm saying can you understand?"

The Prince's brows furrowed in frustration as he tried to process all of the words. Lola quickly intervened before he could lose his temper. "I just came over to introduce myself since you're new and all. I'll see you at dinner?"

Bulma looked away from the dark Prince. "Yes."

Lola nodded her head as she gently pulled Vegeta away with her. "Good."

Vegeta's frown deepened as he allowed her to walk him away from the blue haired woman. "Why did we leave so soon?" He said in Saiyago.

Lola tried to keep her tone level. "No reason Vegeta. I just heard your father say it was time to eat and I was beginning to feel weak with hunger."

The Prince made an imperceptible noise but escorted the female to the tables to eat. ******** *Somewhere in the Grand Hall*

"Oh jeez," Jim muttered, watching the Prince's face as he talked to Bulma. "She's going to screw things up."

He was about to go over and try to distract the Prince himself, until he realized that the small woman with the Prince had done it first. "Oh good." {I'll just hang around until it is time for us to go I guess.}

********

*In the Dining Hall*

"How strange," the King said softly to his son. "That piano player isn't here. I wanted you to meet her son."

Vegeta absently glanced at the empty chair on the other side of his father. "I already met her."

"Oh?" the King said, lifting his eyebrows. "And.?"

"I've never met such a cold fish."

King Vegeta IV couldn't lift his eyebrows any higher. "What! What are you talking about Vegeta?"

His son dropped his eating utensil and looked his father squarely in the eyes. "I hope you weren't playing matchmaker or something Father. I found her to be childish and very unseemly. Her attitude was contemptible to put it nicely."

The older Vegeta was shocked. {We can't be talking about the same person.but how many blue-haired females are running around Vegetaseii? I guess she rubbed his fur the wrong way.}. "I wasn't 'playing matchmaker' Vegeta, I merely wished to see you enjoying yourself with a female after." He trailed off to let his son fill in the blanks on his own.

"After Jez?" Vegeta said, his voice hard. He stood up from the table. "After her, I have no desire to be within a 6000 mile radius of ANY female." For the first time in his life, he left the table without asking for the King's permission first.

The other guests didn't seem to have noticed anything, but the King knew that they'd at least seen Vegeta leave. He sighed as he too rose from the table. "Please continue eating whilst I take care of some very important business."

Most of the guests just took the King at his word and did as he said. Two others spoke to each other in very low voices.

"Trouble between the King and the Prince?"

"I hope so."

*********

*In the Grand Hall*

"I'm so scared," Bulma said to herself sitting on the bench with her back to the beautiful piano. Her head was down in her hands and her beautiful blue hair was hiding her face. She'd been sitting there for the past few minutes. "I can't go back home.I can't."

"Can't what?"

Bulma restrained a groan once she recognized the sexy voice of the Prince. "Just leave me alone," she said, her voice miserable and barely audible as she spoke through her fingers.

Vegeta had been on his way to his room.until he'd remembered the haunting sounds of his mother's piano. He'd fought a long hard battle with himself, trying to keep away from it, but finally gave into the feeling. Of course, he found that girl sitting there. The one who'd made him look foolish. He only wished he'd worked independently on his Standard so that he could have had a real conversation with her. He cracked his knuckles one at a time loudly, as if preparing to do something that required great manual dexterity.

Bulma looked up from the ground and peered at him from behind her hands. She tossed her blue hair back so that it was resting on her shoulders again and remained silent, waiting for him to make the first move.

Vegeta found his eyes riveted to her eyes, which reminded him think of blue fire.he wasn't sure why. Without realizing it, he was walking across the hall to her so that he was standing right next to the piano. He sensed her apprehension at his arrival and he turned to the piano and touched it hesitantly with a single gloved finger.

Bulma watched him, bringing her hands away from her face. "Your.the King told me that this was your mother's piano."

The Prince touched the keys experimentally, a little surprised to see that he wasn't feeling as choked up as he usually did when he was near pianos or at the mention of his mother. He understood 'mother's piano' and he nodded slightly in acknowledgement. "Yes. My mother's piano.she.died."

The earth female found herself completely absorbed in this man as he apparently fought some kind of inner battle. "You loved her then?"

Vegeta briskly slid the cover over the keys and looked into her eyes. "Yes," he hissed, his handsome face contorted by mixed emotions of hurt, pain, anger, and grief.

His actions didn't frighten her. Bulma sighed wistfully, keeping her eyes locked on his. "I.wish my mother died."

The Prince's brows furrowed in puzzlement. "What?" he asked, his pronunciation still a little off.

Bulma smiled slightly. "Long story. Let's just say I'd be better off without a mother."

Vegeta shrugged unconcernedly. His deep black eyes moved to her hair and he pointed a gloved finger at it. "Normal?" he asked, trying to get her to understand what he was asking.

The young pianist stroked the shoulder-length strands. "My hair color? Nope, I'm just special I guess." She found the courage to point to the oddly hairy-looking brown belt she'd noticed earlier around the waists of many of the Saiyans. "Normal?"

The Prince half-smiled at her understanding. "Yes, all Saiyan have." He tried to think of the word. "Tall?"

{I'm thinking he means a tail,} Bulma thought, smiling. "You have a sexy smile," she said wondering if he knew what she was talking about.

Vegeta looked thunderstruck. "What?" His face was feeling a little warm.

"He thinks you're asking him to have sex with you."

Bulma blushed slightly when she saw that the King was in the room with them. "I.I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize. You merely expressed your opinion. It's not your fault he doesn't understand."

Prince Vegeta had lost any sort of smile he may have had on his face once he'd heard his father. "What now?" he said angrily in Standard, his accent on 'what' still there.

The King sighed wearily and answered his only offspring in their native language. "Son, I walked past here minutes ago and would have left you two in peace if I hadn't received a call from Freeza. He wants to talk to you."

Vegeta's face seemed to cloud over. He tightened his fists angrily and answered back in the same language. "I have no real desire to talk with him at this moment."

His father sighed again. "But you've got to tell him your decision soon." he trailed off. "Have you made one yet, Vegeta?"

The younger ruler unconsciously sighed like his father. "No. I've given it a lot of thought and I still haven't decided yet," he said, not looking directly at the King.

"I understand if you decided to go, son."

Bulma cleared her throat. "I'm sorry, I think I'll just be going." She got up and started to leave.

"Wait," the King said, expertly switching to Standard. "Won't you stay another night? I'm afraid I'm not quite prepared to pay you or anything." He let his son know what was going on.

"Tell her to stay," Vegeta said without thinking.

His father raised his royal eyebrows in surprise. "Any particular reason why?"

The younger Vegeta scowled angrily to hide his blush. "Hell no, Father! I have no interest in that female if that's what you're implying."

The King chuckled and turned to Bulma and spoke in Standard. "My dear, both my son and myself would be delighted if you would stay with us another day.?"

Bulma forced herself not to get caught in the Prince's gaze. "I'm most grateful, your Highness." Against her best judgement, she turned to Vegeta and smiled prettily. "Thank you." She left with a quiet grace.

The King chuckled as he watched his son struggle to control his facial features. "See you in the morning son." He sobered quickly. "Make sure you have an answer for Freeza by tomorrow."

Vegeta nodded curtly. "As you wish."

***** *

*In room 126, THE NEXT DAY*

Bulma woke up at once and screamed at the top of her voice.or she would have if her throat wasn't so damn sore. She let out an outraged squawk instead as she felt someone sleeping beside her. She bounded out of the bed with ease and tore the covers from the unlucky trespasser. "Jim," she hissed, slamming a pillow into his face. "Get the fuck out of my bed you freak!" Bulma seized the piano teacher by the arm and jerked him out of the bed until his head hit the ground with a thud.

Jim Ivories groaned as he woke up. "What on earth."

"Not earth," Bulma said, going to get showered and dressed. "On Vegetaseii. Be ready to leave at 1400 hours Jim."

*** ***

*Outside of the training Rooms*

Nappa groaned as the Prince laughed at his recount of the previous night's escapades. "Hey, pipe down would you Vegeta? For the sake of Devin, my damned head is fucking killing me!"

"A weakness that comes from consumption of alcohol," Vegeta lectured. "What if we had an important battle to fight this morning Nappa? You'd be too incapacitated to be of any good to me."

"Gimme a break will ya? It won't happen again," his guard grumbled, sipping from the small vial that Vegeta had given him.

"I called Freeza," Vegeta said unexpectedly into the silence.

Nappa opened his eyes enough to glance at his Prince's face before he closed them again. "You're shitting me."

"No," Vegeta replied, a little surprised at himself. "I'm not." He narrowed his eyes a bit as he went on. "I decided that any training I receive under Freeza can only help me become a better warrior."

"Good decision. I just hope you won't regret it." Nappa made a grunting noise as he felt his hangover begin to slowly dissipate.

The Prince's face a small frown on it. He wasn't sure whether he had made the right choice, but he agreed with Nappa. He hoped he wouldn't regret this.

"I must tell my father."

****** ***

*Outside of the Dining Hall, 1250*

"Dear Ima, be my strength," Bulma muttered as she forced herself to walk into the dining room so that she could eat with the King and his young heir.

".it is your decision and I give you my blessing in it," the King was saying in Saiyago as she walked in.

Of course, Bulma didn't understand a word of what he said, so she merely cleared her throat. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything important.?"

The older Vegeta looked away from his silent son and smiled as he saw the young pianist. "Good to see you. Did you sleep?"

Bulma sat down across from them and raised her eyebrows at his question. "Yes of course."

"How amusing." He explained himself once it was evident that Bulma didn't understand his little joke. "You see, we Saiyans don't sleep that often. Most of us don't need to that often once we reach 20. I merely found." he shrugged, at a loss for words.

"Oh, I see." Bulma nodded her head solemnly at the King, as if she knew exactly what he was talking about. She looked next to the King and smiled at the prince. "Hi."

He merely grunted at her and rose. "I believe I'm finished, Father. If you'll excuse me."

"Didn't you want her to stay?"

"That was yesterday," Vegeta replied, his face showing his irritation.

"Sit son. I think we can learn from this woman." The King pointed to the empty chair beside him and waited as his offspring, slowly, and angrily took his seat. "My dear, please forgive us for leaving you out of the conversation."

Bulma looked up from the plate full of food that she'd been devouring. "Pardon?"

The King laughed. "You did not notice then? Well, I suppose it's just as well. Why don't you tell us something about yourself. It will help Vegeta learn Standard, and it will give us both something to do to pass the time."

The earth female put down her eating utensil reluctantly and rested her arms on the table before her. "My name is Bulma, I come from earth. My family travels a lot because of my father's job; he runs several different companies and designs new technology for others." She paused and looked from the Prince, who looked as he was dying of boredom, to the King, who looked interested. "Must I say more?"

"Yes, please. Why don't you tell us of some things you like to do?" he prompted her.

Bulma sighed wearily, pushing her plate from her. "I have no real pleasures. I study languages, and try to learn something of different planets and their economies. I think that's all."

The King glanced at his son, who was crossing his arms over his chest. "What about your love for music? How did you become a pianist?" he paused and his voice took on a saddened quality. "Did your mother teach you how to play?"

The unladylike snort that came from the earthling made the Prince smirk for a fleeting moment. "My mother is." she trailed off as she tried to think of how to describe a person she didn't know. "I don't know how to describe her," she answered truthfully.

"Don't know how?" the Prince echoed. "Why not?"

"Excuse me, King Vegeta, Prince Vegeta." Nappa waited for the King to acknowledge him.

"Proceed Nappa."

"Lord Freeza is on hold. He requests an audience with the Prince."

"Fuck," the Prince muttered beneath his breath.

His father heard him, but pretended that he did not. "Go ahead son."

The King rose from the table. "Bulma.if you'll excuse us."

Bulma rose, glad that her story had been interrupted. "Certainly. Farewell to you both, for I will be leaving shortly."

The King looked surprised. "Oh yes. Allow me to fetch someone to pay you." He left promptly and Nappa followed him.

The earth girl looked at the Prince, a question in her eyes. "Aren't you going to answer the call? From this Lord Freeza."

The Prince looked at her oddly, not really understanding much of what she said. "No hurry," he said responding to Freeza's name, even as he stood. "It is so. I leave."

"Sayonara, Prince. I enjoyed our time together."

The dark Prince nodded curtly and left.

And it was on that note that Bulma left the dining room.

**** **** *

Room #126, 1349*

"Thank you," Bulma said as she took the money from the King's slave.

The slave merely bowed quickly and left her alone again in her room. All her things were capsulated. She was ready to go. The pianist sighed wearily as she kicked the broken remains of her sunglasses into a corner. Today, she was dressed casually, in a pair of khaki shorts and a baby-T that read 'Foxy!' along with a pair of cute blue flip-flops to match. "Back home I must go," she said in a mockery of the monotone and odd way in which the King spoke Standard. {He'll have it down pat in a matter of months more than likely. He's not as dumb as he came across I'm thinking. Not that I like him or anything, way too dull, way too odd looking.}

It only took her ten minutes to walk to the ship port, and she pretended she didn't notice the tall Saiyan lurking behind her at a distance. {No need to panic Bulma. He can't do anything to you.} She stood at Hangar D, right next to the ship and glanced at her watch. {1400 hours. He's late. Too bad, he got informed as to when to leave.} She glanced in the direction of the Saiyan, who she saw was Nappa.

"Hey," he said in his easy to understand Standard.

"Hey yourself," Bulma said back, getting ready to get on board.

"The King just told me to make sure you got here safely, so I'll wait 'til you takeoff."

"Right, whatever." She got on board, and flicked on a light. Expertly, she found the right switches to get the ship going. With a final glance down in the direction of Nappa, who she could just barely make out from the window, she pushed the takeoff button, and was on her way back home.

*********** *******

*ABOUT A WEEK AND A HALF LATER., on Earth, the Briefs Mansion*

"So how was it?" Vanessa asked once her 'daughter' arrived home and found her in the study.

"Why didn't you tell me the truth?" Bulma demanded, her eyes dry of tears.

Vanessa slowly closed the novel she'd been reading and tossed it onto the couch beside her. "I know not of what you speak," she said slowly, watching the girl's face. She was surprised to see the hatred there.

"Liar! Jim told me all about it and how I'm not really your daughter. How could you?" she said softly, feeling as if this woman-who she'd known as her mother for more than a decade-had betrayed her.

"To protect the family name at first. Then just for my own satisfaction toward the end. Let's just say raising you has been an enlightening experience."

Bulma frowned at her pseudo-mother. "And you would have let me go through life, thinking you are my real mother?"

"That was the plan. You weren't supposed to find out," the older woman said, her face expressionless.

"Well that plan's all shot to hell," Bulma said harshly. "So what happens now?"

Vanessa smiled coldly at the young girl. "One of two things. You can either stay here and remain under the pretence that I am your mother, or you could go with your real mother, out on the streets." Her tone became thick with mockery as she said the second option.

The fourteen year old didn't miss that. "Are those my options? Well, that's a relatively easy decision to make." She ran her fingers through her hair, then made a tiny wave in Vanessa's direction. "Good bye, and good riddance." Bulma made sure to keep her head up as she walked out of that room.

*********** ******

*Back on Vegetaseii.about Four days later*

"And so it begins," Vegeta said to himself as he furtively watched his father watching him using the shiny surface of the ship in front of him . {The old man looks upset.I hope he doesn't get all mushy on me}. He shifted his weight onto his heels, the thought of that making him slightly uncomfortable.

"Hey Vegeta!"

The young monarch turned, ignoring his father and looked to Nappa, who was loping in his direction. "Nappa," he said, coolly acknowledging him.

The older Saiyan stood a few inches from his long time friend. "Hey kid, don't let that ice lizard change you. I know I said some stuff about you being weak and all since you're.well, you know. But you're stronger than any Saiyan here and a lot smarter than most." He looked away from his friend as if it hurt him to say all this. "Don't ever stop training or getting smarter." He grinned and looked into Vegeta's impassive eyes again. "Besides, women like the strong genius type. I'd know."

Vegeta guffawed. "Like hell you would, Nappa." He sobered quickly. "I'll remember what you said."

The two looked at each other a moment before Nappa got on one knee and gave him the formal bow that was appropriate for the King. Vegeta glanced at his father, who he could tell was fighting some kind of inner battle against his emotions. He looked away from him again quickly before he affected his own emotions. "Rise Nappa." He waited as his friend got onto his feet and stood before him. He held out his hand and looked into Nappa's eyes as he shook the other man's hand soberly. "Watch after my father," he said in a low voice, his eyes unreadable.

"As I looked after you," Nappa said, a smile on his face.

"Only better." Vegeta released his friend's hand.


Nappa nodded and saluted the Prince, then left to take care of the rest of his duties.

It was down to the two Vegetas.and neither knew what to say at that moment.

The King cleared his throat. "Son," he began in a voice full of raw emotion. He cleared his throat and tried again. "Son," he said in a more composed voice. "I wish you the best of luck in your training. Maybe you should heed Nappa's words. Vegetaseii will miss you.as I will."

"And I will miss her and." Vegeta could not quite form the word in his mouth for a moment. "You" he finished, looking away from his father.

Vegeta IV hid a small smile. {So he is not as similar to some of the unfeeling ones as I thought. A pity he can't yet appreciate that.} "Farewell my only son."

Vegeta looked at his father, his face unreadable as he spoke. "You will.be careful while I am gone?"

"Of course."

"Farewell then." The Prince turned on the heel of his white boots and opened his pod, getting in carefully. He sat down, and reached a gloved hand out to close the door, only to see his father watching him, a sad look on his face. Vegeta V paused slightly. "PRO REGE, LEGE, ET GREGE."

"PRO REGE, LEGE, ET GREGE." His father repeated, a small smile on his face.

And it was then that his only offspring closed the pod and took off to train under the great Lord Freeza.

********* ***

*Back on Earth, TIME four days ago.*

"You're really leaving to go live with that poor trash?" Vanessa asked, as she watched Bulma pack.

"Yes."

The woman nodded coldly. "Just checking. Very well then, leave those clothes here since I'm the one who bought them."

Bulma looked at the woman, an odd glint in her eyes. "You." She turned and stormed out of the room, searching into her father. She ran into him as he was trying up the stairs. "Dad," she said, grimacing as she remembered all the bullshit her 'mother' had told her about this quiet man. "I know about Vanessa. And my.my real mother."

The scientist swayed slightly on his feet. "Melinda.who told you?"

"That's not important. I just wanted to tell you that I'm leaving."

Dr. Briefs peered at his daughter through his eyeglasses. "But you can't! Where will you go? You're much too young to live on your own."

Bulma felt tears come to her eyes and she quickly repressed the feeling. "I hope it doesn't come to that. Where's.my mother?"

"She.was fired while you were gone." The man looked troubled as he brought this to her attention. "She wanted to see you, get to know you, but Vanessa said it-"

"Don't talk about her! Fine, I'll find her on my own. Good bye, Father." She shook his hand brusquely and turned to leave.

"Wait," the older man said, reaching into his pocket. "Take this." He handed her a credit card. "You'll need it. Just use small amounts at a time though, because she might notice."

Bulma hugged the man impulsively, knowing who he was referring to and how hard it was for him to against her. "Thank you."

His young daughter left in a hurry, her blue hair flying behind her. She opened the front doors of what she used to consider her home and closed them behind her with a bang. She squinted her eyes as she looked out on her new home. Just across the way, she could see a little town. Before this day, she'd found no reason to look there.but now she could see just how many adjustments she was going to have to make to get used to life in poverty. "ALEA JACTA EST. We'll see what happens."

She hid the credit card in her shoe and proceeded to walk toward the town of SUCIO, her new home. It was at this moment that Bulma became a new person, for better or for worse, the world would just have to put up with it since she wasn't going to put up with the world.

*~*~*~*~*

END OF PART ONE

 

So what'd you guys think? I love this fic! The next part should be a lot more interesting. It's going to give you a look into the lives of our two experiment subjects as they grow up.

You know what to do: Read and review! Hey it rhymes! Anyway, here's a little help with the Latin and German phrases I had in the fic. I think I want to use phrases like those a lot, one because they're cool and two just because I can.

PRO REGE, LEGE, ET GREGE(Latin)- For the King, the law, and the people
ABSIT INVIDIA (Latin)-Let there be no ill will {between us}
EWIG-WEIBLICHE (German)-Eternal Feminine (-ism) {I used this phrase.I don't know why. Because Bulma's weird, okay? LOL.}
ALEA JACTA EST-the die is cast (It's up to chance/fate)

*******All right, let's see.explanations. I guess I could do that through a character list.

IMMORTALS

Devin-Guardian of Vegetaseii; possesses a deep-seated dislike for the Saiyans. petty
Ima-Guardian of Earth; is indifferent to the people of her planet. petty
Fate-the woman in charge of the fates of all. Dislikes the two above, but goes along with the experiment.

SAIYAN ROYALTY

Vegeta IV-older Vegeta, current King of Vegetaseii, his mate died, has a son. Was raised by his mother.
Vegeta V-younger Vegeta, current Prince of Vegetaseii, current trainee under Freeza. Mother died while he was young.
Myna-Mother of Vegeta, origin unknown. Lover of music. Wife of Vegeta IV. Gentle, loving woman.

BRIEFS FAMILY

Vanessa Briefs-wife of the doctor. Human. Hates the poor and has general animosity for the world
Dr. Briefs-husband of Vanessa. Human pushover. Kind scientist who had an affair with a maid, which produced Bulma, his daughter.
Bulma A. Briefs-daughter of Vanessa and the doctor. Human. Currently without a home. Personality-will do anything to get what she wants

MORON

Jim Ivories-human. Married. Current status unknown. Piano teacher. Petty, selfish man.

FRIEND OF VEGETA V

Nappa-Saiyan. The Prince's bodyguard.in not so many words. Friend of the Prince, lover of women, loyal to the end.

NIMERIAN!

Lola-Nimerian/earthling. Shrewd Entrepreneur, lover of music/men/money/magic.

MISUNDERSTOOD.OR A BAD GUY.YOU DECIDE

Freeza- Lord of Planet Freeze. Ruthless villain, always on the lookout for a planet to conquer and a way to do it.

**Okay, I've decided to give y'all a sneak peek of Part Two of UDC:

Bulma tossed her hair behind her. "I'm afraid so, Clemens. I'm working for Buchanan. I'm one of his closest employees you might say," she said, smiling coldly at the stunned men watching her. She slowly leveled a gun to Clemens forehead and laughed when she saw him flinch slightly. "What's the matter Nick? Are you afraid to die?"

** ~*~*~*~* "You may have noticed Vegeta no Ouji that you are the only Saiyan in my little training camp," Freeza began, a look of pure glee on his face.

Vegeta nodded, putting his hands behind his back so that the Ice-Jin wouldn't see him clenching his fist. "Yes, Lord Freeza."

The Ice-Jin smirked. "For your test of loyalty.you will remove the very symbol of your Saiyan heritage, to prove to me that all ties you have to Vegetaseii, your father, and your people are naught in comparison to the loyalty you have to me."

The Prince had somehow been able to control his facial features during the outrageous request. He wasn't quite sure what the lord was asking of him.but something told him he wouldn't like it once he found out.

"Your tail, Prince. Dispose of it."

~*~*~*~*

****Well, that's about it. Now that you've read, will you, won't you, will you won't you, will you won't you leave a review? That's from some nursery rhyme whose name I can't remember right now. Okay, peace out peeps!

~BULMA16/ WYCKED SRCSTC/AISU-SAMA/CAPTAIN ANNE RATHAM
PS: NOTE TO READERS OF LTL: New Chapter coming soon!


Table of Contents
Part 2