disclaimer: i've got a lovely bunch of coconuts... deedle-e-dee... there they are a standing in a row..... errr... to sue me would be to take away my coconuts. u would not be so cruel, ne?? ^_^;

'goku' is buruma's fake name while she is in the palace because she is supposed to be a man. here you see the relationship develop between buruma and vejita though not in the way buruma wants. thanks to all who reviewed. thanks for inspiring me, brandy!!

 

Chapter Two:
The Ruler of Vejita-sei

 

"Gentleman, please," Captain Benjamin Richards doffed his cap and bowed curtly. He was recieved in a similar fashion by the frigid members of the court. He walked briskly up to the small, unassuming throne. It was not so much a throne, as a very large cushy chair set right on the ground; no pedastal or platform raised the leader above his subjects. The captain regarded the ruler for a moment before attempting to approach him. The Duke Vejita was staring off at a wall, his eyes dull and listless. His cheek rested casually on a fist perched upon the arm rest of his throne. Overall, the Duke looked... depressed. Captain Benjamin cleared his throat to get the ruler's attention. Vejita's head snapped at the intrusive noise. He looked up, eyes half-lidded and mouth set in a thin, determined line.

"Yes, what is it?" he asked in a deep monotone voice.

"I come on behalf of a youth."

"A youth?" Vejita scoffed. "What business does a man of your bearings have to a youth?"

"Well, sire, this poor young l--man was a crew member aboard my ship but has expressed a desire to stay here, in your province."

"You look after the boy?" Vejita inquired.

"Like, my own son. He is very hardworking and honest. It is a great loss my ship suffers losing such a fine mate."

"I heard your ship was recently lost in a storm?"

"Aye, that it was, Your Grace. However, I will manage somehow. My priority is to this young man who so desparately seeks to be a page in your court."

Vejita's eyebrow rose slightly. "Does he?" The captain nodded his ascent. "Then bring the boy before me.

The captain made a small hand motion to the door and a servant slip out into the hallway, reappearing moments later with a fair-haired youth of about 18 years of age with deep blue eyes. He was dressed in a plain orange tunic and a matching smock to ward off the cold.

"Well, come here, boy," Duke Vejita ordered roughly. Bulma gritted her teeth, silently fuming, and walked slowly up to the front of the audience chamber, trying to ignore the appraising stares of the members of the court. "What is your name, boy?"

"My name is Goku, sire," Bulma said in her strongest voice. Vejita nodded slowly still measuring up the slender young man. Bulma scowled. "I'm not a piece of meat," she muttered. Certain members of the court fell silent, certain others gasped; the captain nudged Bulma roughly and shook his head in disapprovement. Bulma swallowed a lump in her throat. 'Me and my big mouth...' she cursed herself.

The entire court was caught offguard with they heard Vejita chuckle. He nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, you will do fine."

Bulma's eyes widened. "What?"

Vejita's eyes narrowed in mock disapproval. "You heard me, boy. As my page, you will attend to my every need. Is that clear?"

Bulma nodded numbly. Captain Benjamin smiled. "There now, young lad. Best of luck," he cried pounding Bulma vigorously on the back. Before Bulma could do so much as shoot him a smouldering glare, he turned and started walking out of the audience chamber. "Adieu, dear boy. Farewell!" And with that, he was gone. Bulma looked back nervously to her new master. He was still sizing her up. She stood there and pretended to size him up as well. He gave a small smirk but that soon vanished as his usual melancholy air settled in. "I have no use for you now, boy," he mumbled. "Go with Majordomo Nappa. He will show you to your quarters." Vejita dismissed Bulma with a wave of his hand.

 

Bulma followed an extremely tall and muscular man who look to be wearing a tunic two sizes too small and quite uncomfortable with hose for he kept readjusting them, though he tried to be descrete about it. Bulma however, was a keen observer. She cleared her throat to break the silence. Nappa looked down at her deplorably. He grunted his assent for her to continue. Bulma summoned up the most manly voice she had.

"Has your Master always been this way?"

"Of what do you speak, boy?" Nappa spat.

Bulma wiped a bit of spittle from the corner of her eye. "He seems so melancholy and listless, I mean no disrespect, of course," Bulma added quickly.

Nappa nodded. "Aye, he has been this way since he discovered his love for the Lady Marron."

"I believe I have heard of her," Bulma quipped.

"Then you must know of his unrequited love for her." Bulma nodded that she had heard as much.

"Why is she so special?"

"I know not," Nappa snarled. "But no man talks ills of what my master desires." Bulma's eyes widened.

"Of course," she stammered. "I did not mean to talk ill of our master." Nappa satisfied with her answer, continued walking. They arrived at a small corridor lined with about a dozen wooden doors.

"These are the servants' quarters. I believe the one farthest on the right is vacant. I assume you have no belongings?"

Bulma nodded. "Everything was lost in the wreck."

"If you need anything, go to the main kitchen and the head cook, Chi Chi, will see to your needs." Bulma nodded briskly and headed down the corridor. Nappa watched her as she walked off. 'What a scrawny looking young man! By the Gods above, that boy better learn to pull some weight or there will be hell to pay.'

 

********From here on out, Bulma will be referred to as Goku and as a 'he'. i do not want ppl getting confused and i don't want to confuse myself either!!*******

 

Goku rolled over and opened his eyes. "Rise and shine!" he heard a distinctively annoying voice chirp. He groaned and slammed the pillow over his head. "Oh, come on now, young one. Don't make this harder than it has it be." Goku looked up half-asleep as VERY diminuitive man with no hair, much like Nappa. The small man suck out his hand.

"Name's Krillin."

"Goku..." he mumbled, sticking out his own hand.

Krillin shook it vigorously. "Well, up and at 'em. The sun's been up for five whole minutes; time's a' wasting." With that Krillin departed Goku's cramped chambers. Goku rolled himself out of bed, winding up on the cold floor, which instantly had him awake. Goku stood up and rubbed his sore back, hobbling out of his room and down to the kitchen.

 

In the kitchen Goku met Chi Chi, the head cook and a few of the other servants who were too busy scarfing down their breakfast to give a proper hello. Goku slumped into a chair whose rickety wooden legs creaked dangerously with the added weight. Chi Chi gave him a small roll of bread and a slice of cheese and a mug of warm milk. Goku inhaled the food hungrily and after he was finished, he licked all the remaining crumbs from his hands. Chi Chi at first looked bewildered but broke out into a full-fledged smile. Yes, this new page would fit in just fine, she mused.

 

The days passed by quickly for Goku. He was an apt learner, and though he was not by any means the strongest or quickest of the Duke's pages, he proved his worth through his clever mind and persistance to please. Every morning, he awoke at the crack of dawn to perform household tasks like fetching water and helping out the head cook with her breakfast duties. After, he would attend Duke Vejita's court and stand at attention for up to five hours at a time. Visiting monarchs would often comment how dedicated and devoted Vejita's new young page was, jumping at his master's beck and call. Vejita would just give them a wan smile and tilt his head in acknowledgement. When a dignitary offered a compliment, whether it be on the lushness of the landscape, the superb quality of the food, or the devotedness of his servants, those esteemed comments reflected greatly on the master himself.

In fact, everyone in the castle had noticed how their Master had taken to the new youth. Duke Vejita was a proud man, often aloof that his subjects could not read his thoughts.

Vejita WAS quite impressed by the young Goku. He was not one to be taken in so easily. But this young man of barely eighteen years with his light hair the color of the ocean and eyes an amazing reflection of the sky; he was beautiful. (NO, Vejita is NOT gay.) He had never met a man with such a gentle face, a clear sign of gentle breeding and an easy life, but with such fierce devotion and inner strength. The young man was a paradox of light and darkness. Sometimes he would be so full of energy and passion, yet other times... Vejita saw in unguarded moments, a sadness radiating from the youth's tired eyes. Like he was lost and lonely and this made Vejita just pity the boy more and wish to grant him a greater childhood, one that Vejita had never had the pleasure of. Vejita had grown up with a harsh father and a shallow mother who cared little for her eldest son, or any of her children for that matter. They were products of passion between her and her Lord but nothing more than that. Vejita's father was a severe ruler and bent on making his oldest son just as ruthless has he was. He succeeded to some extent and Vejita grew up emotionless and cold, but inside beat a heart of fiery passion. Meeting the Lady Marron had been the final igniter for his true nature to finally surface. He had never been that attracted to a woman before; never felt the greatest care than when she was in his arms while they danced. Her gentleness and soft-spoken nature were a rare commodity to him; the exact opposite from his mother who had been flamboyant and haughty. He wished so desperately to possess a kind soul that he could hold on to like the rarest treasure. When her father and brother had passed away, he sent her endless tokens of his condolence and undying affection. She rejected each of his advances stating her wish to remain without the company of any person, but to live her life in complete solitude save her closest servants.

Vejita surmised that this was the reason he was so drawn to his young page. Goku's easy nature and gentle manner reminded him of that which he saw in Lady Marron. It was not long before Goku was Duke Vejita's favorite attendent, always by his master's side. Vejita enjoyed the youth's optimism and tact as well as his honesty.

 

Goku was walking early one morning. A month had passed quickly since he joined the House of Vejita and he had settled quite comfortably in the routine of his duties. At this hour, it was his duty to bring the Duke his morning meal in the library where he would wait until his master needed him to serve one task or another. Goku gave a light sigh. Working for the Duke was not as strenuous as he thought it would be; on the contrary, the Duke had very few needs and was not inclined to be overly picky. 'No', Goku decided, 'things could be far worse working under another man's thumb.' Goku balanced a tray of hot meats and bread on one hand and held a tankard of morning wine in the other. The guards that stood in front of the study door quickly opened the doors for the young man to pass through, he threw them a radiant smile in gratitude. They nodded in return and went back to their posts.

"Good morning, my lord," Goku called out as he entered the vast library. Vejita sat sullenly at the large oak table in the center, absently turning the pages to an ancient text yet reading none of the words.

"Is it?" he asked quite sorrowfully.

Goku shook his head in admonishment. "Of course it is, m'lord. You only to have look upon the great blue skies and feel the calming breezes to know that this indeed is a fine day." He finished his sermon with a definitive nod.

Vejita rolled his eyes. "What beauty doth the world hold when the greatest of its treasures refuses to acknowledge my presence," he pouted.

Goku looked over at him quizzically after setting the meal before his master. "I do not believe I understand, m'Lord."

"No, you would not," he spat, a little too harshly for Goku flinched. Vejita saw this and quickly sought to his the hurt of his only true companion by gently patting him on the shoulder. "Boy, you would not know a love if it came and hit you on the head," he teased.

Goku understood his humor and made a comeback. "And you know true love, Master?"

Vejita growled under his breath. "What I feel for Lady Marron is beyond words," he muttered. "I was not always so weak, boy, so do not judge me based on the simpering fool you see here."

"I do not have the right to judge you, Lordship," Goku admitted. Vejita was pleased with his humility. Goku suggested he continue his explanation.

"I was always cold and cruel, you see---"

"Much like you are now?"

Vejita shot him a dirty look. "I will not finish this if you keep your yapping, boy," he stated gruffly. Goku mumbled his apology. Vejita now had a far off look on his face as he concentrated on the opposite wall. "I vowed I would let no one into my heart, least of all a woman. But her beauty and gentle ways enchanted me. I must admit I was a bit selfish that I felt I should covet her beauty for my own. And indeed, she is rare beauty --like a gem I wish to possess for all times." Goku looked shocked.

"Possessing a woman like a trophy? It does not seem a noble deed," Goku stated.

"And what is more noble than collecting treasures in a man's life. You suggest I marry for true affection? Based on what--- intelligence, honesty---" Vejita shook his head adamantly. "No, I will have what is mine," he ground out harshly.

Goku could only agree for fear of being tossed out of the Duke's favor. Suddenly the Duke faced him.

"What would you do, boy?"

Goku grinned. A grin that most in the castle had come to admire and begged to catch a glimpse of. "I wish you would not call me 'boy,' My Lord. I am not much younger than yourself."

"I have a great deal more wisdom than you, boy ."

"Wisdome that causes you to seal yourself indoors, to listen to music that only reverberates sadness, and read tales of woe and lost love. This wisdom that has caused you to neglect your duties, cast off your friendships of the other nobles, and caused you to grow slothful and more listless with each day that passes within these walls."

Vejita looked shocked at the boy's accurate speech.

"Is this the wisdom you speak of, Lordship?" Gokue said, voice unwavering.

Vejita looked down at the hard stone floor. The boy was right. He had let himself get so run down. And for what? The love of a woman who cared nothing for him. "Yes, that is the wisdom, the eaxct same wisdom that wisely suggests you leave before I throttled you." Goku grinned once more before bowing and leaving. Vejita chewed on his bread thoughtful after his loyal companion had left.

 

Goku walked down the hall with purpose. After the ritual of bringing food to his master, he would walk down to the stable and polish the Duke's horse in case he took the fancy to ride. Not that the Duke ever did, of course. All the servants thought it strange that the young man would take an hour from his day to polish the midnight black stallion until he shone like the evening star when the stallion would never leave the stable and thus, would never be see. Everyone saw it as a waste of time and would politely tell Goku they thought so. He would then shrug and say something like, "There's no harm in what I do. You'll see, when the Master comes down for a morning ride, he'll have a glistening steed worthy of the richest King." Goku was quite steadfast in his belief that the master would one day emerge from the house, ceasing his woeful respite. And when that day happened, Goku would be ready with the handsomest horse ever laid eyes on.

Goku opened the stable door and walked to the largest stall. The ebony stallion shoved its head over the door, seemingly aware of the grooming ritual. Goku picked out a currycomb and brush and stepped inside the stall. With powerful strokes, he polished the stallion's coat until it shone like the sun and was as soft as satin. He heard a throat clear just behind him. Goku whipped around, bumping into the stallion who snorted, obviously irritated. The head stableman, Turles, leaned over the stall door, a twine of hay between his teeth.

"God's truth, Goku, the master will never see him. What you're doing is pointless."

"Everything I do has a point," Goku said matter-of-factly.

Turles shrugged. "You're just wasting your time. The stallion grows restless and agitated from lack of

xcercies. I do believe your visits are the only thing that keep him sane," he chuckled.

"My visits are the only thing that keep me sane," Goku replied.

They both turned quickly when they heard a throat clear behind them. Stumbling into a bow, they knelt before their master, Duke Vejita, who was looking none too happy. "Boy, I had no idea you found your duties so trying that they would tempt you sanity."

Goku turned bright red. "Oh--of-of course not, my lord. I was simply jesting," he blurted.

Vejita smirked and tilted his head up in arrogance. "I see," he murmured, scrutinizing his page carefully; he was fully aware that his page was uncomfortable at being so shrewdly examined. Goku shuffled his feet uneasily. "I think I will take my horse out today, boy. Get him ready," he ordered. Turles' eyes widened. The Duke never went out of the walls of his fortress, but he would not question his lord's decisions. Goku nodded and ran off to the tack room to grab Duke Vejita's saddle, bridle, and riding crop.

Within ten minutes, Goke had readied the midnight black stallion and led it out of doors. The black tossed his head in anticipation of galloping through the forest, a pasttime he had not been allowed as of late. He gave a high pitch whinny to express his eagarness and tried to pull his reins from Goku's grasp, hoping to get out faster. His whinny was answered by the other horses in the stable, jealous that one of their own was venturing out into the fresh, crisp air as opposed to being couped up in the staleness of the stables.

Vejita pulled at the edges of his black gloves, the supple leather lining his hands like a second skin. He heard the telltale clopping of the stallion's hooves as the pair approached him. He grabbed the reins from the boy and gracefully mounted the horse.

Goku smiled faintly. "Your horsemanship appears to have not suffered during your respite."

Vejita made a noncommittal noise before spurring his horse to walk down the gravel path. "Boy," he called. Goku trotted up to his Master's side. "Sire?"

"Walk with me," he commanded. Goku readily obliged though he wondered why his Master would want him to accompany him. He stated his curiousity with a quizzical look up at his master. "The walls have ears, boy. Always remember that." Goku nodded readily. Everything the Duke said had a purpose and was best to be taken seriously. "No doubt the servants have told you of my sudden reclusive behavior...and of course, of the undoubtable reason... Lady Marron."

Vejita's mouth was set in a thin, hard line. Goku understood that the Duke wished to let some of his burden off by speaking his mind to someone.

"I am honored that you would share this with me, m'lord," Goku said, looking up admirably at the Duke.

Vejita nodded his head absently. "So you understand."

"Only as much as the next man," Goku reasoned.

"I take you into my confidence because you are not like the next man, 'boy,' " he added with subtle teasing.

Goku chuckled softly. "What troubles your heart, my lord," he asked.

"I do not know. I have never loved before so this feeling is foreign to me."

Goku mulled over his thoughts before forming a statement. "If a lady were to love you, my lord, as you love Lady Marron, if you could not love her in return, would you not tell her that you could not love, and must she not be content with this answer?"

"I do not see your point, boy. No woman could love as I love."

"How is that true, for did you just not say that you have never loved before, therefore the boundaries of your love are questionable," Goku mused.

"Enough, boy, before I rip off your tongue!" Vejita ran a hand through his thick black hair. "God's truth, you are a witty one," he remarked with a glare at the young Goku. He sighed deeply. "Though, I suppose you deserve an explanation for my statement," he said after a few moments had passed. "No woman's heart could be so grand as to hold all the love that I hold for Lady Marron, is that clear, boy?"

"Crystal clear, Lordship," Goku answered.

Goku took in all of the Duke's words as his master told him of his initial meeting with the Lady Marron. Vejita had been obstinate and cold, the epitome of stony pride. Yet Marron's gentle ways had warmed his heart while she cared for her ailing father. Her beauty was unheard of, rare and positively enchanting. Yet after her brother's death, Marron had refused to see anyone, even her own Duke! Vejita was not one to give up easily and he vowed to continue to pursue her. Vejita's determination to win her love and bring joy once again to Lady Marron's face warmed Goku's heart. He looked up at his master as they passed through a sunlit grove. The delicate rays of sunlight pierced through the canopy of the forest. In the light, Vejita's hair had a fiery red tone and his skin gleemed with a golden hue. Gokue blushed. He shouldn't be admiring his master that way. Yet under his guise of the page, beat the heart of a brazen young woman who was currently very taken with her master. It was then that Bulma realized...

 

I love him...

 

She slowed down, walking five feet behind the prancing stallion. She knew it in her heart then. She loved the angular sculpture of his face like a Roman god; she loved the deep, melodic sound of his voice; she loved his fierely proud countenance and his dark passion that lurked underneath... she loved everything about him. 'No, this cannot be,' she thought to her. 'I am his page. He thinks I am a young man. That is all I can be to him, nothing more,' she concluded.

"Boy." Vejita voice brought Goku out of his thoughts. "I thought I told you to walk beside me." Vejita

hook his head in admonishment. "Obviously, you cannot comprehend what I am telling you and walk behind me to escape my ramblings," he accused, yet with slight humor in his voice.

"But I do understand, my lord," Goku stated.

"And what do you understand, pray tell?"

"I know what love a woman can offer a man for it is God's truth that they are as true of heart as we are." Goku stopped for a moment to collect his thoughts. "My father had a daughter," he began, "who loved a man as, perhaps if I were a woman, I should love your lordship..."

Vejita rose an eyebrow, interested. "And what happened to this sister of yours?"

"There is nothing more. She never told her love, but let the concealment of her ardor fester within her bosom to eat away at her heart. She pined away for her love, though never sought to remedy her ailment and passed her days in silent grievement."

"And did she perish?" Vejita asked.

Goku looked down at his feet. He did not know... would he perish from his unrequited love? But he could not tell that to the Duke. He sought a distraction to take them off the topic. "Too bad we did not bring with us a quiver and bow, is it not, my lord?"

Vejita looked confused for a moment. "Why is that?"

"I believe I saw a fat hare hop along that way. It's been so long since you've been out of doors, I wished to see if your marksmanship might have suffered," Goku jibbed.

Vejita chuckled. "Oh, I do not believe so, boy. Besides, it's high time we headed back. It is time for the noon meal," he observed. At that, Goku picked up pace to jog next to his master's steed.

"All this talk has made me ravenous, Master," Goku grinned.

"You're ravenous regardless, boy," Vejita commented sarcastically.

 

Bulma lay on her cot that night with her light blanket pulled up so that it nestled right underneath her chin. How could she? Fall for her master.... honestly, she shook her head mentally. 'I'm here to search out my brother, not become lovesick over...over...' she sighed. There was much to be lovesick over. She admired him in everyway and his devotion to Lady Marron was a quality she found most endearing. 'Yet, it is Lady Marron he wishes to wed, not you... It would do more harm than good to become involved.' With that, Bulma blew out the tiny wick near her bedside, settling herself into the darkness. She wised for lovely dreams... she only hoped a certain raven-haired Duke would not be involved in them.

* * * * *

geee... this thing took me forever to write. seriously, i started writing it right after chapter one, and yea... it's been like a week and a half, maybe more.... eh, who's keeping track? so: good? bad? you see bulma's predicatment, ne? but oh, it gets so much better! haha! what happens when vejita sends goku to talk to lady marron on behalf of him. craziness ensues... if you HAVE read 'the twelfth night' don't spoil it for anyone else. it is b/v... but how it gets to be that way is the best part.

A/N: those of you who are a bit slow in comprehension: the 'sister' bulma/goku speaks of is actually herself, yet she cannot tell her duke of her feelings so she makes up a 'sister'. comprende? yes, this is confusing in some respects, but it is shakespeare afterall. if you understand, give yourself a good old pat on the back. you deserve it. ^_~

~rev kurame~

 


Table of Contents
Chapter 1
Chapter 3