*Chapter 4*

 

Bulma mentally ran down her checklist for her scheme: lunch in capsule, cute outfit (sexy, but not slutty: White shorts with modest halter top and sandals,) picnic paraphernalia in capsule, air car in capsule. Perfect. Now all she had to do was get one more thing: Vegeta.

Ever since her brain reminded her that she didn’t know anything about Vegeta, she’d been racking her brain for a plan to rectify the situation. She knew it would have to take place during the day (since they were otherwise occupied at night and Vegeta never stayed for "pillow talk",) and that meant that she’d have to interrupt his training. She could shut down the equipment, but that would just piss him off and then she’d never get anything out of him. That meant she would need to lure him out somehow and there was only one kind of bait she knew of that was strong enough to do that: food.

So she packed up a picnic, picked out the destination and set out to beard the lion in his den.

She went to the gravity room and hit the intercom beside the door.

"Hey Vegeta, come out here. I need to talk to you."

Pause.

"Fuck off!"

"Come on, Vegeta. It’ll be worth it."

"I doubt it."

"Come see. . .you know you want to."

A second later the gravity room door swung open and Vegeta stood there in his training shorts, a fine sheen of sweat covering his body.

"What?"

"I just thought you might want to go on a picnic."

"A what?"

"A picnic. It means you eat outdoors."

"No thanks," he said and started to shut the door.

Bulma would not be deterred and stuck her foot in the door.

"Come on, Vegeta," she waggled a capsule. "You have to eat sometime."

"What’s that?"

"It could be four dozen of Mrs. Woo’s dumplings that you like so well. Why don’t you come and find out?" She waggled the capsule again.

He looked at her suspiciously, then vanished back into the gravity room. Bulma had no sooner taken one step to follow when Vegeta reappeared, now wearing a tank top.

"Fine. I’m outside. Give me the capsule."

"Not here, Vegeta. It’s not much of a picnic if you eat on your doorstep. There’s someplace I want to take you," Bulma said and popped her air car’s capsule.

"We have to take that?"

"Get in. It’s not far," Bulma said, jumping behind the wheel.

Before long they’d left the city for the forested countryside. A large house came into view and Bulma veered the car toward it and set it down in the driveway.

"We’re here," she announced, jumping out of the car.

"Where is ‘here’?" Vegeta asked.

"This is where I grew up, well, till I was ten or so," she began walking toward the trees behind the house.

"My dad built this place when I was four, after he became sure capsules weren’t going to be fad," she said.

The trees opened up on a beautiful garden. There was a koi pond in the center, spanned by an arched bridge. All manner of flowering plants and bushes surrounded the pond. Their scent filled the air.

This is perfect, Bulma thought. This is such a genius idea!

"Dad built this garden for my mom, to thank her for standing by him during the lean development days. She spent a lot of time here before we moved to the city."

"Why did you move?"

"It was just easier. Dad was working all hours and she wanted to be with him rather than waiting out here."

"The nitwit?" Vegeta asked.

"Hey, my mom is not a nitwit!"

"No! The food outdoors that you promised me!"

"Oh. Picnic, Vegeta, picnic," Bulma laughed. She began popping capsules and spread out the blanket and set out the food.

Vegeta dug in wordlessly and Bulma knew better than to try to draw him into a conversation while he was eating. So she nibbled a dumpling and sipped water, waiting for him to finish, which he did in record time.

"I’m done. Let’s go back," he said.

"Vegeta, we just got here! It’s a gorgeous day. Come on, sit down and relax for five minutes. It won’t kill you, I promise."

"No, the only thing in immediate danger of being killed is YOU if we don’t go back."

"Vegeta, please? It’s so beautiful here," she put on her sexiest pout, realizing she was about to blow her carefully crafted plan.

Vegeta hesitated. "Five minutes?"

Bulma nodded and Vegeta sat back down on the blanket. Bulma laid down on her side and propped up on one elbow in what she hoped was a casual manner.

"So. . . was Planet Vegeta like Earth?" she asked.

"No."

"So what was it like?"

"Different."

"How different?" Bulma was getting irritated now.

"Look, woman, if this "picnic" is all an elaborate set-up to get me to tell you my life story, give it up. I’m not going to do it, no matter how much food you give me or how much you pout and bat your eyelashes," he said.

"Why not?"

Vegeta got up. "I think five minutes has passed."

"Godammit, Vegeta!" Bulma stood up. "What’s so wrong with telling me something about yourself? I hardly know anything about you and I’ve been fucking your brains out for over a week. I don’t want to psychoanalyze you, but what’s so wrong with a few basic details? Hell, I don’t even know what your favorite color is!"

Vegeta sighed. "If I told you that would you shut up?"

"Yes."

Vegeta paused and appeared to be collecting his thoughts. Bulma’s irritation grew. Why does everything have to be a big deal to him? This is not a tough question.

"By rights my favorite color should be gold. It is the color of the Royal House of Vegeta," he paused and looked at Bulma intently. "No, I don’t think I’ll tell you. You will make too much of it."

"What? Are you going to tell me it’s red because it’s the color of blood or something gory like that?"

"No."

"Then what is it? I won’t make a big deal out of it, I swear. Whatever it is, I can take it," she promised.

Vegeta raised a dubious eyebrow, then continued speaking. "Like I said, it should be gold, but. . . I have always been partial to," he looked directly at her. "Blue."

"Awww. . " Bulma was touched.

"See, I said you would make too much of it," Vegeta said and began walking back to where she’d parked the air car.

Bulma hurried to catch up.

"I am not making too much of it." She insisted.

"Yes, you are. You immediately thought I chose blue because of your freakish coloring," he said.

"MY COLORING IS NOT FREAKISH!" Bulma shouted. Kami, what a fuckarow this had turned into. She should have known better than to try to have a real conversation with Vegeta. Now he was in a fine snit and although she didn’t think she could salvage anything out of it, she’d put so much effort into this little excursion she had to try.

"Vegeta," she grabbed his arm. Luckily, he stopped at her touch, otherwise he might have dragged her into the dirt.

"I’m not making anything of it," she said, "but if my unique coloring somehow pleases you because you favor blue, then that pleases me."

Vegeta took a deep breath and he gave a small shake of his head as if he were dismissing his anger.

"You would please me more," he said, "if you would keep you mouth shut."

Bulma smiled. "Now Vegeta, you know I can’t do that. I distinctly remember some of the things that please you most require my mouth to be open." She reached out to stoke his cheek with the back of her fingers.

He slapped her hand away. "Stop that! Stop trying to change the subject."

Bulma went from zero to irritated in .04 seconds.

"What? I get it already! You don’t want to talk about yourself. Sheesh! You know, most people like to talk about themselves."

"I am the last Prince of Planet Vegeta. I am NOT ‘most people’" Vegeta said.

"Riiiight. . .I’ll keep that in mind. Look, give me a sec to get the picnic stuff and we’ll go, OK?"

"Don’t rush on my account. As you keep telling me, it’s a ‘gorgeous day’. Enjoy it." Vegeta blasted on in a rush of ki.

Bulma tracked him with her eyes as long as she could and determined he was not headed in the direction of Capsule Corp.

Just fucking great, she thought. Nice work Bulma. So much for your genius plan to find out more about him.

She walked back to the garden to gather the picnic stuff. When she finished, she took another look at the garden. It’s so pretty here, she thought. What the hell? It is a gorgeous day and I’m going to enjoy it, damnit!

She got out the blanket again, unhooked her halter to avoid tan lines and laid down for a nap in the sun.

Well, I did learn one thing about him—he doesn’t like to talk about himself, she thought as she drifted off to sleep. And he likes blue.

****************************************************************************

Vegeta was still fuming after his third revolution of the Earth. It was tricky to fly at a speed that would satisfy his anger and yet keep his ki at a level he thought was low enough not to arouse concern in any of the "Z-fighters". The last thing he need was a confrontation with Kakarrot.

Damn nosey bitch! He had sensed something was up the minute he’d heard her voice on the intercom. He became positive when he’d yanked open the door to see her standing there in her carefully chosen outfit. His first instinct had been to slam the door, but his damned curiosity got the better of him. Well, that and four-dozen dumplings.

I should have realized this would happen, he thought. The woman is not capable of leaving well-enough alone. Always out to "improve" something, turn it into something she thinks is better. Well, if she thinks she can turn me into a "boyfriend", his lips curled in distaste, she can look for another candidate. I refuse to be a fawning lapdog for that human!

"Hey, Vegeta!"

Vegeta pulled up and turned around. His speed had drawn the person he least wanted to run into.

"Kakarrot. What an unpleasant surprise. If there’s one thing I don’t need today, it’s another surprise."

"What’s been surprising you? I guess it’s not a good surprise, because you don’t seem very happy."

"I’m never happy, Kakarrot. Unless you’d like to oblige me with a fight?" Vegeta asked.

"Spar? Sure, just let me—"

He couldn’t finish with Vegeta’s boot in his mouth, which made Vegeta quite happy. Kakarrot’s mouth ran almost as much as the woman’s.

**********************************************************************************

Bulma waited outside the gravity room in the dark, wishing Vegeta would hurry up and return so she could get this over with. She’d awakened from her nap with a new perspective on her "plan" and realized that her picnic really had been nothing but a deceitful set-up to get Vegeta to talk to her. He had realized it almost immediately and if she’d been thinking clearly she would have realized how transparent she was being. No wonder he was offended. He hated subterfuge. He liked things up front and in the open. Honest.

The more Bulma thought about the afternoon and what had gone wrong, the more she realized she really did know quite a lot about Vegeta. Oh, not the things she was trying to find out, like "what was Planet Vegeta like?" (geez, what a lame-ass question!) But things about his character, his like and dislikes. He was honest and forthright, he had a great work ethic, he was proud (also a fault, but Bulma could appreciate being proud of who you are.) She could compile a list a mile long of food or things he liked or didn’t like. Not that he ever actually said he liked anything, but you could just tell by the lack of derogatory comments about something or the fact that he kept it and didn’t throw it at your head that he found it acceptable.

There was still the nagging knowledge that he’d probably killed more people than had ever lived on the Earth. She wasn’t sure how to reconcile that with the lover who came to her bed. Funny, you’d think with his violent background I should have been concerned that might extend to the bedroom, but it never even crossed my mind. He was just like I expected: intense, passionate and responsive. I guess I’ve screwed that up for good. I doubt he’ll trust me now not to have some scheme up my sleeve. Bulma sighed.

I have to try though, she thought and continued her vigil in the darkness.

Vegeta descended slowly and landed near the gravity room. At least the day wasn’t a total loss, he thought. His spar with Kakarrot had gone well, his new strength evident in every move. Kakarrot had even commented on his new strength, wondering aloud what training regimen had produced such impressive results. It was on the tip of Vegeta’s tongue to smart back "Why, I’ve been fucking your friend!" but chose instead to remain silent. Whatever gratification he might get from seeing the look on Kakarrot’s face would pass as soon as the imbecile opened his mouth to comment (probably to ask when he and Bulma were "going to get married" or some insane drivel like that.)

As that thought crossed his mind, he glanced toward Bulma’s window. The lights were off; she’d gone to bed. He knew he’d find no welcome there. She was sure to be in a spitting fury after the way he’d taken off and left her today. Of course, she’d deserved it, putting on that charade just to question him. He had left all that duplicitous bullshit behind at Frieza’s court and he’d be damned before he put up with it here.

"Vegeta?"

He searched the dark and located her in the shadows. Something about the tone in her voice put his back up.

"You know, you should have fucked off the first time I told you today. Let’s see if you’ve learned your lesson: Fuck off." He was at the gravity room door now, two seconds and he’d be rid of her, whether or not she’d learned her lesson.

"I just want to apologize," Bulma said quickly.

Vegeta paused, and then turned towards her. Bulma saw her chance and stepped from the shadows, walking toward him.

"I’m sorry about today," she said. "I shouldn’t have tried to set you up like that. First of all, I should have realized what a lame plan it was and that you’d see through it right away and second, it’s wrong for me to try to trick you into telling me things. I should know by now that you don’t like to be pestered with personal questions and that you’d like it even less wrapped up in some scheme designed to dupe you into answering them." Bulma stopped in front of him and waited for him to speak.

"Bulma, if you want to know something, you should just ask," Vegeta said finally.

"Will you answer?"

"Probably not," he said. "But I’m an asshole, as you are so fond of reminding me." Vegeta found himself almost smiling. Everything was not lost. She’d realized her mistake and apologized. "Give me a minute to shower and I’ll join you in your room."

"You mean I haven’t permanently pissed you off? I thought for sure you’d be running for the hills after my little stunt today. "

"Bulma, you’ve permanently pissed me off from the day we returned from Namek and Saiyans never run. Besides, "he leaned toward her ear. "I remember you said something about a list of things that please me most. I thought perhaps we could compare notes."

Heat flooded through Bulma as she felt his breath on her ear. He was still hers, at least for now.

"Why don’t you use the shower in my room?" she asked. She grabbed his hand and pulled him toward her window. "I just thought of a new game called "Soapy Saiyan" that I promise will be worth playing."

"All right. But don’t get angry when I change the rules and turn it into ‘Soapy Bulma,’ he shot back.

"I’m counting on it," she answered.

********************************************************************************************

Later, after the game had moved from the bathroom to the bedroom, and the two teams were exhausted from the mutual victory, Vegeta spoke in the darkness.

"It was large."

"What?" Bulma murmured. She was surprised Vegeta was still there, resting his head on her chest, his arm around her waist.

"Planet Vegeta. You wanted to know what it was like. It was large, four times larger than Earth, circling a red giant sun we called Vegat. There wasn’t much vegetation due to the sunlight’s spectrum. There were great cities. The capital was on a large ocean called Brean." He fell silent.

"It sounds nice," Bulma said, feeling the need to say something, but not knowing what.

"You would have hated it. It was everything your green, peaceful world isn’t," he said.

Something about these revelations must have disturbed him, because shortly after he became restless, retrieved his clothes and left. Bulma wasn’t sure whether it was the memory of his destroyed world or the fact that he’d told her about it that disturbed him. She didn’t go to sleep for a long time.

There was an unacknowledged shift in their relationship that night. Perhaps it was when Bulma swallowed her pride enough to admit her mistake and apologize to Vegeta. Maybe it was when Vegeta realized that he wanted to answer Bulma’s question. It didn’t matter. They had reached a turning point and now there was no going back.

******************************************************************************

As always, super-big thanks and hugs to Ember for beta-ing.


Table of Contents
Chapter 3
Chapter 5