Disclaimer: I do not own Dragonball Z or the characters attributed to the series.

 

CHAPTER TWO

 

What had happened? It was the first thought that popped into his mind as he lurched awake, senses dull save that of raw, unyielding pain searing through his brain like a lightening bolt. Bardock squeezed his eyes shut in an effort to ease the ache but it persisted, vivid and angry, clamping down on his brain like a vise and rendering him near helpless. Dimly he felt a tingling sensation running up his left arm, like the prick of a thousand needles. The discomfort was growing with each passing second, so he attempted to move it, wincing at the pain that shot through his brain with his effort and becoming conscious that there was a heavy weight holding his arm motionless. With extreme effort Bardock forced his head up, grimacing yet again as pain lanced through his head. God, it was all right as long he didn't move. Still he had to see what the hell was pinning his arm down, it was beginning to become numb and painful. Clenching his teeth against the bolt of pain that he knew would come with his movement, he turned his head, becoming cognizant of something warm and solid lying motionless next to him. Memory crashed down upon him as he recalled the ship crashing and-and Bulma

Bardock bolted upwards, nearly passing out as another bolt of pain slashed angrily through his brain. Looking over he saw her, draped across his arm, unconscious. Gritting his teeth against his throbbing head, he gently extricated his aching arm from under her, allowing her limp body to rest against the hard metal floor. Kneeling over her, he was horrified to see the vivid, bleeding gash that slashed across her pale forehead, staining the aqua blue of her hair a sickening red.

"Oh God, Bulma." Bardock muttered, caressing her cheek and face gently, searching for any other signs of injury before slipping down to the base of her throat to feel for her pulse. He shut his eyes in relief when he felt it, weak and slightly thready, but present all the same. "Alright Bulma, let me get this bleeding stopped. " Bardock looked around, searching for something--anything he could press against her wound to halt the flow of blood. It was imperative. Sharp banging against the cockpit door turned his attention. Chi-Chi! In his panic over Bulma, he had nearly forgotten she was with them.

"Bardock!" Chi-Chi's normally calm voice held the smallest hint of panic. "Bardock are you two alright in there?"

"I'm alright, Chi-Chi, hang on!" Standing, Bardock maneuvered his way unsteadily towards the door, trying futilely to key it open. Damn Bulma and her security measures. She had installed the cockpit security scanners only recently, since Koola had begun terrorizing everything.

"It's stuck!" Chi-Chi called through the metal of the door, her voice rising with each syllable she uttered. "The power to the ship is dead and there is someone banging on the outside entry door! What should I do?"

Banging? God, he hoped that wasn't Koola or his men, though at this point he wasn't sure whom he dreaded meeting up with most: the natives of the planet Kannassa or Koola and his army. The Kannassans had reason to hate him and he didn't doubt their telepathic minds were extremely long when it came to memory and detail. ."Stand back," He barked sharply, forgetting the pain of his head for a minute. " I'm going to blast it!" Bardock lifted his right hand, forming a ki blast in his palm and releasing it against the jammed door. He was rewarded as the piece of metal blew outwards, leaving a gaping hole where a door had once been. Through the smoke he saw Chi-Chi, wide-eyed and frightened, her black hair long since fallen from its customary bun and hanging haphazardly around her face and shoulders, lending her an almost childlike appearance.

"Are you alright?" Bardock gripped her upper arms, searching his daughter-in-law's face for any sign of injury. Her black eyes searched back--wide and full of concern and fear. He squelched the desire to comfort her, knowing that there was no time for such overwrought theatrics.

"I think so, other than a slight jarring. The safety harness kept me in place, though I am a bit stiff." Chi-Chi smiled lightly, rotating a shoulder. "What about Bulma?"

Bardock paled. "Oh God, Bulma!" Turning he raced back into the cockpit, booted feet clicking sharply as he ran. Sliding to a halt beside her prone form, he looked down at her pale face. "She took a hit in the head. I need to get the bleeding stopped, before we answer any doors. " Bardock looked down at the silky, navy blue dinner dress that clung to her body remnants of the night's ill-fated dinner meeting. Grabbing the bottom, he ripped it neatly, tearing along the hem in a straight line. "This should do nicely until I get her bandages. Here hold this against the wound for me while I go find a first aid kit."

Chi-Chi bent over Bulma, placing long fingers gently on the silky material that Bardock had ripped from her dinner dress, holding it in place firmly over the gash, despite her shaking hands. "Hang on, Bulma, just hang on." She kept her voice calm, though her insides were quaking. Fear would do her little good now. They had been shot down on a strange planet, Bulma was hurt and by the looks of it, badly and someone was banging down the door to the ship. She smoothed a stray lock of Bulma's hair back from her ashen face, concern for her friend flooding through her. Leaning down she whispered softly, "Stay strong, Bulma, for Trunks and Vegeta. Bardock is going to be right back and then we'll get this all taken care of. I promise."

 

 

****************

 

He had come back in time far too early. How had they managed to miscalculate the jump? He and his mother had set the coordinates for the time that they returned from the Saiya-jin council in space, and he had apparently missed that considering he had caught the artificial humans thieving in his mother's office. He sneered in disgust. They had been thieving for the radar that his mother had invented, the one that Kakkarot used to find the dragonballs. He had to stop them from getting it; they could not find the dragonballs, not for Gero.

Wrathfully, Trunks arced his sword downward, unmindful of the wicked glint the sun beamed off the polished metal. His goal was Juuhachigou and to that end he was determined that this time he would kill her or die trying. He felt a moment's regret that he might not live to see his beloved mother again--she had already been forced to live through the death of her husband and all her friends--but he knew that if he could prevent the same horror from occurring in this time, if he could keep his father and Kakkarot alive and well, then his sacrifice would be well worth it and Gohan would look after his mother, he knew that. Juuhachigou's terror and that of her brother's would not go forth in this timeline, not the way it had in his...and if she was dead by the time his parents in this timeline got back from space, then his father couldn't die at Juuhachi and Juunanagou's hands, now could he?

"You're dead!!" He roared as his sword came down. He gaped in shock as she effortlessly blocked the sharpened edge of the sword with a finger, causing the metal to crack and break apart as if it were the made of the cheapest material. Shocked, he drew back, eyes widening as she smiled.

"Is that the best you can do, kid?" Juuhachigou scoffed in derision. "I thought you might actually be a challenge, but I can see that I was wrong. I don't think I am going to need any help here, Juunanagou." Launching herself towards the shocked boy she came at him, mercilessly, in a flurry of flying fists and kicks.

Sheathing the busted sword, he raised his arms in an effort to block her brutal punches. Grabbing her fist he swung her upwards away from himself in an effort to put as much distance between them as he could. Hopefully if he could do that then he could come up with a good counter defense. He had not anticipated on the strength of these two artificial humans here in this timeline. They were incredibly strong, stronger than they were in his own rather bleak future. Racing upwards in a haze of golden flame, he paid little attention to the red-scarfed artificial human who hovered in midair watching him with barely concealed interest.

Juunanagou watched the boy speed upwards away from him and his sister. A glance behind him showed his sister approaching at breakneck speed. He snorted in irritation and flipped his long black hair behind his back. She might be able to easily deal with the boy, but what fun was it if he got no part of the action? He shot upwards, chasing after the boy, smiling wickedly. He knew exactly how he could slow the kid down. He raised his hand, forming a ki blast, one that would disable the kid enough so that they could easily deal with him and maybe have a little fun in the process. There was nothing like making people suffer. Peripherally, he caught sight of a low shadow streaking in his direction, but dismissed it as a bird, turning to concentrate on his prey directly in front of him with his sister, who was directly behind him. Releasing the ki blast he was unprepared to see it batted back at him by a dark-haired boy who had flashed in before him in the blink of an eye.

Juuhachigou came to a halt beside her brother, watching the dark-haired boy who hovered directly in her and her brother's path, black eyes flashing fire. "Move it kid, unless you want a one way ticket to hell." Carelessly, she swept a strand of blonde hair behind her ear, scowling her displeasure at the boy. Where had this brat come from?

"Damn you Juunanagou, you and your sister will not kill Trunks too." The black haired boy roared in fury, powering up and erupting into Super Saiya-jin, firing a blast at the two hovering artificial humans.

"Kamehameha!" The beam of light shot forth from his cupped hands, painting the sky in shades of white and yellow. He watched as the beam, shot at such close range, caught the two monsters by surprise and sent them careening backwards away from him and Trunks. That would buy them a bit of time.

"Gohan!" Trunks screamed at the golden-hued warrior. "Gohan, what are you doing here?!" He rocketed back down to join his friend. "Gohan, what are you doing here?" He repeated, frantic that his friend was before him instead of protecting the mother that he loved so dearly. "You are supposed to be with my mother!" Trunks hovered beside his friend, eyes wide and searching as they swept over Gohan's face for the reasons behind his impromptu trip back into the past. The look of anguish he saw shadowed within the green depths of his friend's eyes told him a truth he was unprepared for. "No." Trunks moaned in anguish. "No, not my mother."

"I'm sorry, Trunks." Gohan choked back the sob that had bubbled up his throat. "I was--was out gathering some supplies she needed and when I got back I had just missed the artificial humans... they had targeted Capsule Corp, and she was alone and I---" Gohan broke off as the sob tore free and shuddered through him. "She was still alive when I found her and she told me she had made a mistake, that she had sent you back too soon. She wanted me to come back in time and help you; she told me about this second machine she had made and that I should use it to help you... change--things" Gohan looked away from the piercing blue gaze of his dearest friend, unable to meet the pain and heartbreak he saw in his best friend's eyes. Didn't he understand? Bulma had been like his mother as well, since the artificial humans had killed his own. Anger flowed through him and off of him in thick, black waves at the thought of so much death at the hands of these two monsters. All the faces he had been forced to see dead, all the eyes, full of hope and light, that he had seen the life extinguished from. No more, his future was ruined, but in this timeline his younger self could grow up in peace and prosperity, things could still be salvaged in this timeline. That was what Bulma had seen and she had been right. She had wanted things differently here and by all that was holy he would ensure that things would be. His father would survive and so would Trunks' father and their mothers would not be left to face the horror alone.

Trunks watched in steely silence as Gohan's energy increased to levels that not even he could reach, let alone fathom. His mother was dead. She was dead at the hands of these two monsters. She had been all that he had left, all that was good in his life and now she was gone. We won’t let it happen in this timeline, Trunks. She's alive and well in this timeline and she can stay that way. Here things could be so much different. Tipping his head back he roared his anguish to the sky, powering up, he found all the energy that he could within himself, aiming a deadly blast at the artificial humans that were just now getting themselves back in control from Gohan's Kamehameha wave. "This time you will die!" Releasing the blast he hung limply in the sky and watched as it streaked like lightning towards Juunanagou and Juuhachigou.

Gohan watched as Trunks released all his anger and pain into the blast that was now streaking towards the two demons that hung in the sky. Trunks had offered up all he had to destroy them, he might as well offer up his own attempt towards their destruction as well.

"KA..." He brought his hands back, cupping them together as his father had taught him before his death.

"ME..." This one is for you, Dad. The thought swirled in his mind as he felt the energy coursing through him and gathering in the palm of his hand.

"HA..." Please let this be enough. Gohan watched as the two artificial humans absorbed Trunks blast.

"ME..." Shit! That had been Trunks strongest attack and they had effortlessly absorbed it with no more then a grin. In his hand he felt the pulsating ball of power continuing to grow.

"HAAAAA!!!" Gohan released the massive ball of energy towards the two artificial humans, watching in triumph at the wide-eyed expressions of horror that replaced the normal detached expressions that both the devils wore as their commonplace expression. Good, let this be a wake-up call to them. It wasn't nearly enough to destroy them, but it might be enough to allow he and Trunks to escape.

"Trunks!" Gohan yelled. "Let's go! We can't defeat them alone. Lets go find our parents and tell them what we came to tell them. We'll be killed if we try to settle the score here."

Trunks nodded, zooming downwards towards the hanger that his mother kept her ships in. Amazingly the corporation had not changed at all. It looked the same now as it did in the future, the only difference being that this version had not been put through the destruction that its future counterpart had gone through. If he recalled her words carefully, she had told him that at this particular time they had been in space around the planet Kannassa. Hadn't she been in a shipwreck, on Kannassa? He could recall her telling him that she and Bardock and Chi-Chi had been on their way to his grandfather's planet--Trunks had never even gotten to see it.

He shook his head at the pain that welled within him at the thought of his mother, of all that she had lost, including her life. It was too high a price to pay, to lose as much as she had. She had deserved a better life than the one that she had, which was why he had to make things different here. First he needed to get them off of Chikyuu, then they could figure things out, but he knew one thing with surety: he would ensure that the Bulma in this timeline stayed very much alive as well as his father... Prince Vegeta. He would not lose them twice. He had never even gotten the chance to know his father. Only Kakkarot had remained for a time, strong and alive to fight the artificial humans until Gero had claimed his life with that damned virus. Kakkarot would live on as well. He lifted his hand to blast the doors off the hanger. He cringed at the explosion and the damage that it caused. Sorry, Mom, there's just not enough time for anything else.

Gohan zoomed down behind his friend towards the hanger where the ships were. They needed only time enough to start one up. That was the beauty of Bulma's designs. There was no extensive warm-up period, no convoluted countdown system... merely sleek, fast response. Watching Trunks blow the doors off the hanger, he smiled confidently. Bulma hadn't changed a thing in the Corporation's layout. Everything appeared to be the exact same, almost as if he had not left his time and traveled backwards to the past. They would be off world in a matter of moments. Then they could get their parents and they could on with the business at hand. The thought of seeing his father again, of being able to hear his calm, confident voice telling him that everything would be okay, sent a wave of pleasure coursing through him.

Trunks landed beside the first decapsulated ship he saw, an ST3000. A cruiser and just right for what they would need. What were the chances? "Gohan," he yelled, "go over to the rack there and grab a handful of capsules. We may need more than one ship on this trip." Turning back to the ship he quickly opened up the door and slipped in, racing to the cockpit.

Juunanagou had barely dodged the last blast, had only been able to watch in shocked horror as it had scorched a blazing trail by him, singing his hair in the process and leaving him very much aware of exactly how close a call that had been. Just below he could see his sister hovering, her expression mirroring his own. He clenched his fists in anger. Those damn brats had nearly damaged him--they would pay! Looking around he saw them as they streaked downwards towards a hanger bay. He smiled coldly. They thought they were going somewhere. He'd show them.

"Juuhachi!" He pointed towards the bay. "There they are! Let's go get the little bastards!" Juunanagou streaked after them, determined to catch them. Behind him he felt his sister's presence as she followed closely behind him.

Gohan grabbed a handful of capsules that he hoped were ships and pocketed them. He didn't have the time to properly look and see what was what, so he would pray for the best. The Bulma in his timeline kept everything carefully labeled, but apparently had not yet started the practice herein the past. He glanced up as Trunks brought the ship to life, seeing two small figures streaking towards them faster than lightening. Shit! Juuhachigou and Juunanagou! He raced back towards the ship, hurling himself into the door and quickly closing it. "I'm in, Trunks! Let's go!!" Gohan struggled towards the cockpit in an effort to strap himself into a seat even as the thrusters began to propel them forward.

Trunks maneuvered the ship out of the hanger, mindful of Juuhachigou and Juunanagou as they streaked towards him, ready to do battle. Beside him, Gohan managed to stagger into a chair as Trunks increased the throttle and the ship shot forward.

"Look out, Trunks!" Gohan shouted in warning as Juunanagou raised his hands and shot a red beam of light towards the escaping ship.

"Don't worry, Gohan. My mom's taught me well." Trunks smirked as rapidly juked the ship to the right, narrowly avoiding the blast. "Seems she had a lot of practice at avoiding blasts." The ship shot forward entering the atmosphere and leaving the two artificial humans behind.

Gohan exhaled shakily, unaware that he had been holding his breath. "Trunks, that was too close." He leaned back in the seat and closed his eyes heavily. He was barely seventeen, yet he felt more like forty, what with all the events that had gone to shaping his life. He needed a nap. "Do we even know where we are going?"

"Kannassa. If I am right, my mother and yours crashed there after being hit by a regiment of Koola's men. She only mentioned it in passing and never talked about it or her time in space. I'm not sure that it held many pleasant memories for her and I know your mom and grandfather are with her. She mentioned Bardock."

"What about our fathers?" Gohan turned his head and studied Trunks curiously. "Where are they?"

"Rescuing us. We crashed on another planet. Didn't your father or mother ever tell you anything?"

"Not really," Gohan sighed, "after mom died...well, Dad was just never quite the same after that and he never really discussed the past... only the future."

"Well if we find our mothers, that will lead us straight to our fathers." Trunks mused. "Mom never really said much...other than that Koola had captured them and that..." He broke off recalling the haunted look in her eyes as she had mentioned that. It had been a subject she had loathed talking about, though he had pressed her for details at every turn. "I can't let Koola take her again. Something horrible happened to them on that ship and I refuse to let it happen to her again. I may not be able to help her now in our timeline, but I will be damned, Gohan, if I sit back and let the same thing happen now." Trunks drew in a shaky breath, fighting back the tears and grief that threatened to break through the dam he had so carefully erected over the pain losing her had caused him. He couldn't break down now, not when he could help her in this time. Perhaps it would make up for his not being there when she had really needed him, when Juunanagou and Juuhachigou had murdered her in cold-blood.

"Trunks..." Gohan reached out a comforting hand to his friend, letting it rest lightly on Trunks shoulder. "We will make things different here, I know we will. Our parents will survive and we will not have to grow up without them, not here."

"I hope you're right, Gohan." Trunks closed his eyes heavily and leaned back, weariness settling into every bone in his body. "I hope you're right."

 

********************

 

Vegeta shut his eyes to the swell of pain that flooded his brain. Dammit what had that been? Was it Bulma? Another dull ache rolled through, causing him to groan. Reaching out through their bond he attempted to locate her again and came up completely empty. The sharp, jagged pain had lessened some to a dull ache but it was still there and he was certain it was his mate. What had happened to them? Pushing down a small burst of fear, he stood and staggered to the cockpit, noticing the planet that was rapidly growing in size before him.

"Contact Bardock... something has happened." He growled hoarsely to Toma.

Kakkarot looked up in alarm. "What do you mean, something has happened?"

"Something is wrong. Perhaps if you paid attention to the bond you have with your own woman you might have noticed the same thing." Vegeta snapped, holding his throbbing head in his hands. What had happened to his woman? What could have caused her this amount of pain? This time he was unable to squelch the small trickle of fear that shot through his spine. If anything had happened to her... he attempted to gather himself. No, she was alive. Pain was a sign of life. If she was in pain than she was alive. That at least was a positive sign.

Kakkarot closed his eyes, concentrating on the faint flicker of his mate's ki. He and Chi-Chi could not communicate on the same level that Bulma and Vegeta could... a fact that Vegeta loved to throw in his face. Yet if he reached out he could always sense her feelings. It was so faint that he almost missed it; catching it as it trickled through his mind, fear--stark, cold fear. He glanced up, black brows knit in worry.

"Fear. Chi-Chi is scared... very badly." Kakkarot glanced over to Toma who was attempting to raise Bardock, his own brows knit together in concern. "Have you gotten them yet?"

"Nothing... I can't get a damn thing." Toma glanced upwards, taking in the planet that loomed before them. "We can hop into an orbit around the planet. If Koola's men are here they must be around the other side. The orbit could give us enough time to contact Bardock. This might turn into a dual rescue mission."

Vegeta growled, black eyebrows drawing down in anger. What fate was acting against him, first his son... now his mate. Dammit, she would have been safer with him. He had known that and ignored it. "Fine," he snapped angrily, "put us into orbit and locate them. Kakkarot and I will see if we can pinpoint where the brat's ki are. The sooner we get them, the sooner we can go and get our mates." He refused to let either Toma or Kakkarot see how worried he really was. He had failed to protect his mate and now something was seriously wrong. If anything happened to her, he would never be able to live with himself.

"Woman..." He growled in his mind. "You had better be alright."

 

********************

 

Koola brought his hover chair to a halt in front of the massive view screen that graced the cockpit of his ship and stared at the green planet that filled the screen. Namek... what should he do about the planet Namek?

"Are all the prisoners secured within the hold, Jeiyce?" He asked smoothly, eyes cold and calculating.

"Yes, Lord Koola. Those that were not killed on Namek have been rounded up and collected. The last of the survivors have arrived along with all seven of the dragonballs. We found a little boy a short while ago and he held the last one." Jeiyce smiled in anticipation of the words of approval he would soon receive from his Lord and master.

"Ahh, good job, Jeiyce. You've done well for me. My brother's faith in you was well placed. Tell me, do we know how to use these balls yet?" Koola swiveled the hover chair around to face the red-skinned man.

"No, the old Namek refuses to tell us and no amount of beating seems to weaken his resolve." Jeiyce frowned in irritation. Damn the old fucking Namekkian anyway.

"So it takes a special password then?" Koola frowned in irritation. "And you cannot persuade the old Namek to spill this password out? Have you tried everything?" Why must everything be so damn difficult for these imbeciles? Was he the only one who thought like a villain? He spoke again softly, quietly--as if speaking to a young child, carefully mapping out his directions so that there would be no misunderstanding. "Tell me, Jeiyce, have you used this child against the old Namekkian? Perhaps a threat to someone more helpless would loosen his tongue. I've learned that people abhor violence against children; the elderly Namekkian could be no different. " Koola stared speculatively at Jeiyce.

"Of course, Lord Koola." Jeiyce clamped his mouth shut in irritation; angered that Koola showed him such little respect. He had been a member of the Ginyu force after all and that warranted respect. He had destroyed more planets and ruined more people's lives than most of the idiots on board the ship, with the exception of his fellow ex-Ginyu members. He whirled around, ivory hair flying out as he did so, turning to go back towards the prison cells of the ship. "I'll begin right away."

Koola watched the red-skinned man stalk away and smiled. The ex-Ginyu was angered. What absolute idiots Frieza had surrounded himself with. Thank the Gods that had created him that he had reliable men that surrounded and served him. Without them he would be dead, a casualty of the attack on that nameless planet of Frieza's.

Toma, yes, it had been the Saiya-jin Toma, and some other stupid upstart that had fired the shot that had brought his ship down; they had believed him dead, never once landing to check and see if the ship had actually been destroyed or whether there had been survivors.

He had survived, however, as had most of his crew. The pilots that he had employed from Correnia had more then done their job, the job that they were renowned for throughout the entire universe--piloting. They had guided his ship down and they had done so well. He had been injured, though amazingly not badly and it had cost him time in the regeneration tank, but once he had emerged he had been rejuvenated, both in mind and in spirit, only to learn that his brother had been killed on Chikyuu and that the empire he had built had began to crumble.

Koola clenched his hand in a tight fist and smiled. This was his opportunity to do what his brother had been unable to--control the universe completely and for all eternity. Oh certainly, Frieza had made an excellent attempt at it, keeping a goodly part of it under his control for several years, but he had not maintained it and he had been a poor ruler, allowing his obsession with that stupid Saiya-jin Prince overrule any logical thought. Koola wasn't certain whether he should thank Vegeta or kill him. Frieza's death had certainly opened up many a door for his own personal gain and that was something that he just couldn't turn his back on. Still, there was family honor, a concept that his father had beat into him from an early age. Frieza had not held to it as strictly, but to Koola, it had come to mean everything and that life lesson told him that he owed his father and brother the vengeance that was rightfully theirs. Any and all who had crossed the Cold's path would soon come to regret it. "I do this for you, Poppa, and when I am done, the entire universe shall tremble yet again at the sound of the Cold's name, just as you wanted it all those years ago."

"Lord Koola," Sauzaa’s deep burr broke into the visions his mind was conjuring up. "What is your command, Lord Koola?"

Koola turned to face his right hand man, his eyes sweeping over the purple bodysuit that encased the blue skinned, muscled warrior. Ahh, where would he be without Sauzaa?

"I think I will destroy it, Sauzaa. Isn't that what my dear brother would have done? The planet has no natural resources; the slaves have been harvested. It's hardly worth my time and effort." Koola smiled, turning his hover chair to exit out of the ship. "Open up the bay doors and prepare the ship for travel to Kannassa. There is something there that I think might just aid me with the Namekkian."

"Yes, Lord Koola. How long will you be?"

Koola smiled, " Only long enough to make some wonderful fireworks, Sauzza. Be sure to watch."

Sauzza bit back a grin and nodded. "Yes, Lord Koola, I’ll be sure to."

"Oh and Sauzza, communicate with that Babidi creature for me will you? I want you to find out if he is still interested in a partnership. I could use a wizard in my employ. "

"But, Lord Koola, aren’t you afraid that he might use his magic against you?" Sauzza looked at his boss with some concern.

"Hardly, Sauzza… my mind is far too strong to be swayed by the magic of such an inferior creature. However there are others who do not share the same strengths." Koola chuckled, maneavering out the door. It was time for his show.

********************

 

Bardock struggled to locate the first aid kit, despite the distraction of the loud clanging and muffled shouts that were being leveled against the outer door. "Damn the Kannassans." He muttered irritably. "They always were impatient." He cursed his bad luck for wrecking his ship on the same damn planet that he had wreaked havoc and destruction on some twenty years ago under Frieza's orders. If they recognized him, things would probably get very ugly, very fast. Finding the first aid kit, he shot a glance at the door that was under serious assault from the Kannassan warriors. There wouldn't be much time to do this before they broke through and more than likely arrested them all. Bardock could only hope that he would be able to get Bulma's head fixed up. Racing back through the cockpit door, he knelt beside his worried daughter-in-law, laying a gentle hand on her shoulder. "We haven't much time, woman, before they break through that door. The Kannassans are nothing if not persistent. Let me fix her head; I want you on that radio." He nodded at the transmitter. "See if you can raise Toma, or Vegeta or Kakkarot. We've crashed on Kannassa with no other means off the planet."

"Alright!" Chi-Chi lept to her feet and moved quickly to switch on the transmitter. "With the power out in the ship, will this even work?" She queried, moving her long fingers to flip the switch on, praying that it would work and thanking God when the small transmitter lit up and came to life.

"Bulma had installed a separate backup power source for all communications on any of her ships, including the computer. It was done specifically at Toma's request in case any fighters crashed while attacking Frieza's strongholds. That transmitter is running off a battery now and can be lifted completely out of the console if needed. It should allow us at least the opportunity for a few transmissions before they get to us. " Bardock turned back to the first aid kit, fumbling for a bandage and some ammonia to bring her around. He needed to get her to come around and keep her conscious, then he would clean the wound and bandage it and hope that it held for however long they were stuck on this Godforsaken planet. With a little luck, the Kannassans would concentrate on him and leave the two women alone. "Their channel number is listed in the logs of the computer. It should be right at the beginning since I just loaded it in a few hours ago."

"Alright, I'll see if I can find it." Chi-Chi pulled up the logs on the ships computer, finding what she sought immediately and keying in the proper channel into the transmitter. "Toma, Kakkarot, Vegeta, are any of you there?" She spoke urgently, shutting her eyes in hopes that she might sense her mate through their bond. The chief benefit of marriage to a Saiya-jin, though there were others. She repeated their names again urgently, trying to convey the sharp edge of desperation that was slicing through every part of her body. The banging on the outer door had stopped, leaving an ominous silence hanging heavily in the air. Chi-Chi could only imagine what that silence meant. She somehow doubted that they had just given up and gone home. What had Bardock called them... Kannassans?

"Chi-Chi?" Kakkarot's frantic, worry-filled voice broke through the air. "Chi-Chi, where are you, what's happened?!" Through the air of the line she could pick up the muted sounds of what seemed to be an intense conversation.

"Kakkarot, we've been shot down." Chi-Chi cried. "Bardock says we're on Kannassa."

"Kannassa!" Toma's voice broke through. "Shit, Bardock and I were sent there by Frieza several years back to bring them under control... no to mention they had some kind of telepathic power that interested Frieza to no end. They have no love for Saiya-jin, have they found you yet?"

"Where is Bulma?" Vegeta's deep voice filled the air next, deep and sizzling with intensity.

It never ceased to amaze Chi-Chi at how Vegeta could be a million miles away and still command a room with the mere power of his voice, a rather sexy voice at that. She shivered, before guiltily dismissing the thought.

"The Kannassans have been banging on the door for awhile now, though they've stopped."

"They've gone to get something to open up the door, you can be assured of that." Bardock turned to look at them, raising his voice so that they might hear him. "Regiments of Koola’s men were orbiting near this planet's atmosphere. They managed to get a lucky shot. Bulma got the ship down, but she's been hurt and badly--a head wound. I can't get her to come around, though I have gotten the wound dressed."

"Fuck." Vegeta cursed into the transmitter, his voice harsh with concern. "Do the Kannassans have a medical facility, someplace you can get her to a regeneration tank...damn weak human."

Chi-Chi snorted, wondering whom Vegeta was trying to fool. Despite his harsh words it was painfully obvious that he was worried sick. He did a damn good job of disguising it. Any who didn't know him would believe that he really could have cared less about his mate. Chi-Chi knew better.

"Probably, if they don't throw us in their prisons first. I'm hoping that they will concentrate on me and leave the women alone, though Bulma and Chi-Chi might be found guilty by simple association."

"I will kill you and yours, Bardock, if you let harm come to her." Vegeta's voice was deathly calm, leaving little doubt that he would follow through on his threat if Bulma met an untimely end. "We will gather the brats and be there as soon as possible. Do not let her die."

"It shouldn't take us that long to find them. We pinpointed Gohan and Trunks' ki a short while ago." Kakkarot spoke up, "Kannassa is barely a days hop from here. Can you hold against the Kannassans for two days, Father?"

"I'll do what I can by myself." Bardock replied shortly.

"Can you go Oozaru, Bardock?" Toma asked. "The last time we were there, the moon shone full and bright, not to mention that damn invention of yours."

"I'll do what I can with Bulma and Chi-Chi around. Perhaps I can bribe them to let me have access to their regeneration tank." Bardock paused as an explosion rocked the ship. "Speaking of which I think there back and it sounds like they are getting in this time. Not even Bulma's security measure can withstand explosives. Hurry, I can imagine that the ships that shot us down will be after us, as well. Koola’s men aren’t' t here without reason. "

"Take care, Father, and Chi-Chi, I love you, take care of yourself. I'm going to get our son and I'll be there as soon as I can." Kakkarot's voice was heavy with regret and emotion. "Stay alive."

"I will. You just get our son back." Chi-Chi whispered, black eyes brimming with love and concern and more than a slight hint of longing. "We'll talk about the reason I'm on this ship when I see you again."

"I will Chi-Chi and I--Uh..." Kakkarot paused, unsure how to address the last statement, finally whispering, "It was Vegeta's idea."

Bardock stood, lifting Bulma's limp body into his arms, motioning Chi-Chi to cut the power to the transmitter. "Ready yourself." He muttered as another, stronger explosion rocked through the ship. "They'll be in here in a minute."

"Are these creatures vicious, Bardock?" Chi-Chi did as he asked, moving to stand beside him as the outer door blew apart with a low rumble, followed by the dull roar of voices as the Kannassans flooded the ship.

"Not by nature, but they have no love of Saiya-jin, especially this Saiya-jin. If they recognize me, things will get ugly. Don't call me by name and keep your distance. They must never know that you are my daughter." Bardock glanced over at her fondly and smiled.

"I will not hide my relationship to you, Bardock." Chi-Chi responded hotly, her eyes searing through him. "It would be shameful to hide while they mistreat you..."

"Think of that brat you have and the one that is in your belly." Bardock snapped, losing his patience. "You might not like it, but it is what will keep you and your child alive. You do want to live to see Kakkarot again, don't you?" Bardock emphasized his son's name, making sure she understood exactly what was at stake.

Chi-Chi gasped. How had he known about the baby she carried? She hadn't even told Kakkarot yet. "How..."

"Any Saiya-jin male could sense it within you. That my brat can't..." Bardock shook his head in disgust. "He has grown too soft on Chikyuu. Perhaps this excursion will be good for him--remind him of who and what he is. Now are you going to do what I say?" He watched through slitted eyes as the first Kannassan squeezed through the cockpit entry.

"Alright." Chi-Chi gasped as two large reptilian-faced creatures entered the cockpit, weapons pointed.

"We mean you no harm." Bardock called out. "We have merely had the misfortune of crashing our ship on your planet. I ask that our pilot be given medical treatment." He settled Bulma's body closer against his chest, hoping that he could pass her off as a simple pilot that had been hired to give him passage.

"Who are you to demand things from us, Saiya-jin?" The Kannassan nodded pointedly at the tail that was wrapped around Bardock's waist. "You have violated Kannassan airspace. You are lucky to still be alive." The Kannassan stepped aside as the other stepped forward.

"You will come with us and offer no resistance. That is the only way that the girl gets any help."

Bardock frowned, but nodded, accepting the terms the Kannassan gave him. He had few options until he got Bulma fixed. After that, he might be able to get something accomplished, go Oozaru perhaps and finish what he started so many years ago. He grimaced at the thought of needless slaughter, but what choice did he have? If given the choice between Bulma, Chi-Chi, and his grandchild... well the choice was clear, they were his family and he would protect them with his life. But first he had to get Bulma taken care of. "Fine, just get her some help." He growled menacingly as the first Kannassan stepped forward but relinquished his hold on Bulma, staggering back as the second Kannassan snapped metal bands around his wrist.

"You'll find these impossible to break free. They are made with energy absorbers. We learned our lesson when your kind last visited our world. Your coming has been foreseen and this time we were able to prepare for it. You will not achieve your true state while you are on this planet." The larger Kannassan reached over, grabbing Chi-Chi and shoving her after the other Kannassan who held Bulma, earning himself another growl from Bardock. "Let's go. The sooner we leave, the sooner we can get this one into prison. I trust no Saiya-jin." Grabbing hold of Bardock, he shoved him forward, reaching down to painfully squeeze the tail that Bardock had wrapped around his waist illiciting a sharp gasp of pain from the Saiya-jin.

Bardock turned, lunging at the Kannassan despite his shackled wrists and depleted energy.

The Kannassan sidestepped the blow, delivering a brutal chop to the back of Bardock's neck, watching impassively as the Saiya-jin fell to the ground unconscious. "Not so tough without your energy, are you Saiya-jin scum?" He bent, picking up the fallen Saiya-jin,slinging him over his shoulder. "It will be a pleasure to see you die."

 

*******************

 

Vegeta sat, head in hands, staring at the floor of the ship. Bulma had been badly hurt. His mate had been injured and might die and he couldn't even get to her. He growled viciously, pain and rage flowing through him at the fates that continued to work against him. He had chosen to send her on a different path than himself, believing that she would be safer and now look at what happened. If he had followed his Saiya-jin instinct, she would have been here now, safe and unharmed. There was no one who could protect her as he could. Vegeta had failed his mate and now because of his foolishness, she might die. He had to get to her as soon as possible.

Reaching out he sought her ki and was relieved to feel it, though it was low, but it was there and that in itself was a positive sign. He sighed and lifted his head, wondering for the millionth time what defect was in his Saiya-jin blood that allowed the fate of this one human woman to affect him so deeply. His father would have been able to turn away and accomplish what was to be done, the woman be damned, but then he had killed his own mate, something that Vegeta could never fathom doing. His life without his woman would be miserable and he knew it. Despite all his protests to the opposite, he loved her deeply and had since the first time he laid eyes on her. Bulma was the only one that understood him.

"Woman, " he muttered softly.

"Vegeta," Kakkarot’s voice broke through the cloud of melancholy and longing that had enveloped him. "Are you ready to go in? Toma is landing us now."

"Yes," Vegeta replied shortly, not bothering to look up. "The sooner we get this done, the sooner we can get to Kannassa and retrieve our women." He stood and pulled on his white gloves trying to look unaffected by the news that his mate was injured.

Kakkarot raised an eyebrow, shooting the Prince a contemplative look. Vegeta was much more deeply affected by the news that Bulma had been hurt badly than he was letting on. Years of training and serving on Frieza's ship together had given him a perspective on the Prince that not many others had, Bulma perhaps, but even she had not seen Vegeta quite as Kakkarot had. "She'll be alright, Vegeta. Bulma is as strong as any Saiya-jin I've ever known, she hasn't survived Frieza and Parisia and everything else she has gone through only to die here now. You heard my father, she got that ship down and they are all alive because of her."

"I don't need your sentiments, Kakkarot." Vegeta glanced up, glaring at the younger Saiya-jin fiercely. "I am well aware of my woman's flaws and strengths. She doesn't dare die if she doesn't want me to track her down in the afterlife and kill her all over again." He smirked despite himself.

Kakkarot grinned. "That would be enough to keep me alive." His face grew serious. "Let's go get Gohan and Trunks. The sooner we get it the sooner we can assure ourselves that our mates will stay out of trouble."

"Remember to keep your ki low, fool. If the witches sense us, they have an open ticket to our minds and I have no desire to go through that again." Vegeta shuddered at the memory of Tantris and the link she had shared with his mind. The thought alone was enough to make him want to be sick.

"Do you recall any history of this planet, Vegeta?" Kakkarot slipped into his orange gi, the training garb that Master Roshi had given him and tied the belt that wound round his waist. Wrapping his tail around his waist, he bent to pull on his boots. "I know they are ruled by a Queen, but that is about all I can remember right now."

Vegeta stared at the orange gi in disgust. That a Saiya-jin warrior, a Super Saiya-jin no less, would give up his armor for such a hideous ensemble infuriated him, but he held his tongue. There was no point in berating the idiot about it and he had more important things to think about right now, like retrieving his son and mate, not to mention her father and mother who were on this damn planet. He doubted she would take kindly to him leaving them behind to die, though he would have had no problem with it and he was fairly certain that the old man would have agreed with him if it meant his daughter's life. "I know only that it is a jungle planet and that they are ruled by their Queen who is the most powerful of all the sorceresses on this planet. Frieza told me once that she mates with the strongest male she can find in order to beget the next Queen. I know nothing else."

"Let's hope its not mating season." Kakkarot looked at him pointedly, smirking at the sight of Vegeta's eyes widening in comprehension and shock.

Vegeta stared at him in disbelief before smirking evilly. "The bitch couldn't handle me."

"Let's hope she realizes that. We don't want to have to fight for your virtue. I'd hate to have to explain that to Bulma." Kakkarot smacked his head. "I can see me now. 'Bulma, we had to leave Vegeta on Calonia, being the strongest man in the universe after all, he had to mate with the Queen.' She'd kill me."

Vegeta growled in irritation. "You needn't trouble yourself. I will not be spawning any other brat's... not today anyway."

Kakkarot grinned widely, eyes gleaming mischievously. He could have a little bit of fun with Vegeta before things turned serious. "Does that mean that you are considering spawning another one with Bulma?"

Vegeta flushed. "That is none of your business, idiot! Now get ready. Let's get this done, I have better things to be doing right now."

"What are you going to do to Vergerom when this finished?" Kakkarot growled. "It's because of him that we are here and our families in danger. If anything happens to my mate or child because of his manipulations..." Kakkarot broke off his diatribe as rage flowed through him. He did not believe in killing unnecessarily but when it came to his wife and child he found all his principles thrown to the wind, replaced by the simple instinctual nature of his race... to lash out and kill what threatened him and his own.

"Oh, Vergerom will feel the wrath of his Prince for his actions." Vegeta snarled at the memory of his wife's frightened face admitting that Vergerom had threatened and laid his hands on her. Even now he could feel the silky lock of his brat's hair as she pressed it into his hand, hear his own voice as he lashed out at her in his anger with Vergerom and now they were separated and she was in danger. It would feel good to break the bastard Saiya-jin's body in half with his bare hands.

He raised his hand and clenched it tightly in front of his face, sneering at Kakkarot. "I will dissolve that council and take the Saiya-jin throne and if one of them speaks against my brat or my woman, they will die as painful a death as I can give them. I am the Prince and rightful heir to the throne--a Super Saiya-jin. My father might have felt the need to answer to them, but I do not. I need no one to rule and I answer only to myself."

Kakkarot stood silently, staring at Vegeta as a strange sense of foreboding swept through his body. What in the hell was that? "It won't be as easy as that, Vegeta." He whispered. "Something tells me that we have much more than just Vergerom and the Saiya-jin council to overcome."

"Whatever," Vegeta sneered, dismissing Kakkarot's words, pushing down the small surge of apprehension that they had caused him. "You are a fool if you think I will allow anything to stand in my way. " He turned, grabbing his armor, the light armor that he had asked Bulma to make him, slipping it on. He would gather his family back together, then he would go back to that damn ship and do what he should have done the minute they had first spoken against him. He had held back, why he wasn't sure, but he had and that weakness angered him more than anything else. Perhaps it was the influence of his mate and the peaceful ways of the Chikyuu-jin he lived among, or perhaps it was out of some misguided respect to the traditions of the Saiya-jin race. Either way, he was done with it. Neither his mate nor the old traditions would stop him. This fiasco he was embroiled in now proved that he was right to follow his own instincts. It was a lesson he had already learned the hard way and he was furious with himself for being stupid enough to repeat it. Vegeta just prayed that it didn't cost him more than he was willing to pay.

"Strap yourselves in, we're landing." Toma's voice through the intercom cut through the air, effectively sending both men to their seats and helping them to focus on what needed to be done.

Kakkarot felt the familiar jolt as the ship touched down, leaping out of his seat as soon as they were down. He wanted to find his son and brother and get the hell off the planet so that he could get to his mate.

Vegeta stood, suppressing his ki. "Kakkarot, be sure to keep your ki down."

Kakkarot nodded and went to open the door, punching in the code needed to release the lock. He stood back and watched as it the door opened, his mind and body assaulted with smells and sounds that he had never felt before. The fetid smell of something decaying, whether it was dead or just rotted plant life he couldn't be sure, filled his nostrils and he wrinkled his nose in disgust. Before him stretched out an endless jumble of thick foliage, dark and forbidding, emanating with the sounds of creatures that Kakkarot was sure he had never encountered before.

Vegeta pushed past Kakkarot, stepping down from the ship's ramp and looking around him in disgust. What an absolutely primitive planet. It surprised him that the witches had managed to rise up from the primordial ooze that had to make up the better part of this planet's surface based on the stench of fetid water and decaying muck. He turned and watched as Toma and Kakkarot followed down the ramp, Toma turning to encapsulate the ship. Vegeta shook his head in wonder as the ship vanished in a poof of smoke, turning into a small capsule, that Toma handily picked up up and slipped into the front of his armor. That his woman had created such technology, technology that was on the cutting edge of every planet in the galaxy, just amazed him. For all her beauty, and even, he thought with a grimace, despite the temperamental, stubborn, pain in the ass hellion she could be, one could not deny the genius that lay beneath that surface. He searched out her ki briefly, assuring himself that she was still alive, though he knew without a doubt that had she not been he would have felt it immediately through their bond.

"According to what you two told me, we should be able to find them going east." Toma nodded. "I tried to bring the ship down within a hundred miles of where you thought they were. Do we risk feeling them out again?"

"Why not?" Vegeta shut his eyes, turning his face skywards and searching for his brat's ki. After a moment, he nodded. "They're stationary, about fifty miles due east." He started forward. "We can't risk flight, not yet anyway. Let's get started." Vegeta pushed forward, entering the thick tangle of tree, plant and twisted vine, wasting no time as he pushed forward. He wanted to get his son. The sooner he found the boy, the sooner he could get to his mate who needed him.

Kakkarot looked at Toma, who shrugged. "He's the Prince. We'd better get a move on."

Kakkarot nodded and pushed ahead, shivering at the chill that seemed to hang perpetually in the air. The short sleeves of his gi doing nothing to protect him from the elements and what was worse, was that he couldn't even flare his ki to stay warm. Snarling, he entered into the brush with a vengeance, determination to get his son back flowing through him. The sooner that was accomplished, he sooner he could get to his own woman. He searched her out and was relieved to find her ki strong and steady, though her fear was palpable to him through the bond. He wished he could send her some type of reassurance, but he didn't dare, not here. He would not allow his mind to be used against him again.

Toma looked behind him, before starting, trying to shake the feeling that they were being watched. A quick search turned up no energies in the vicinity, still why was every nerve in his body screaming that something was very wrong. It had to be the dark, ominous atmosphere that surrounded him. He ran a hand through his short, spiky hair. Shaking the feelings off, he started forward, following behind Vegeta and Kakkarot, praying that they could get this accomplished with as little trouble as possible. The thought of his best friend--brother really--at the mercy of a race of people that they had terrorized all those years ago, troubled him greatly, not to mention Chi-Chi and Bulma. Bardock was still his commander, though he no longer acted in that capacity any more, still the bonds had been forged and Toma felt the need to be there to help his friend. He wasn't certain if it was that thought or merely his dank surroundings that filled him with such a terrible feeling of foreboding, but it was there and it was enough to send shivers racing down his spine.

 

 

*******************

 

Vergerom stared out the wide view window, taking in the wide expanse of space that stretched before him, lost in dark thoughts and memory. It was all going to plan. The beginning of the end for Prince Vegeta and his stupid woman. Soon Vegeta would know exactly what it felt like to be used and discarded amongst the trash and ruin.

Their planet had been destroyed because of the foolhardy Prince. Vergerom had been one of many Saiya-jin council members touring the Planet Reiketsu, birthworld of the Cold’s and home to the Reiketsu-jin race… the race of the changelings. The council had been sent to the planet by King Vegeta to pay homage to Frieza in an attempt to minimize the damage being done to the Cold-Saiya-jin alliance by the hotheaded crown Prince. It had apparently been too little, too late.

Vegitasei had been blown to oblivion and it had only been by the sheer grace of their Saiya-jin God that the remaining council had been left to survive—God or Frieza, he wasn’t certain which one had played the bigger part.

Stranded on Reiketsu, Vergerom and the council had been given a choice, swear absolute to the Cold name or be taken to the deepest, most barren part of the icy world and be left to die. It had not taken him too long to make his decision. Frieza had spoken to him of the girl—the girl whom Vegeta had valued more than his own planet, than his own people, leaving little doubt in Vergerom’s mind that the Prince could hardly be counted on to come through for his people when push came to shove.

Vergerom supposed he should be grateful that he had been off planet; that he’d had the foresight to take along his daughter, ensuring her survival as well. Many of the council had taken their families, almost as if they had all been struck by the vague sense of unease that had seemingly permeated the heavy air of the throne room the day they had been bidden to go by the King.

Still, despite his luck, he felt a terrible, burning rage whenever he thought of the Prince and the bedmate that had ranked higher than his own people. He’d been unwilling to believe that Frieza spoke the truth—until Frieza had led him to Nappa. Nappa had confirmed everything. Even now, seeing the blue-haired whore and the disgusting half-breed brat she paraded around was enough to make him sick. Perhaps the newer, younger generation believed it alright to cavort and mate with non Saiya-jin and for Vegeta, certainly he would have needed to keep his options open as far as concubines went, but to actually make her his Queen and the brat his heir, it was all too much for Vergerom to accept. Watching the way the Prince looked at her, the way he kept her close and defended her and his absolute stubborn insistence that she was the Queen and her son, his heir was enough to make any old school Saiya-jin roll in his grave.

The infatuation with her would be ending soon, for Vergerom refused to believe that the boy could actually love her, there was no way that could be possible. No, the time was at hand to reclaim the Saiya-jin greatness and to make the Prince understand the mistake of his ways; make him understand the blasphemy of what he had done to his people. Vergerom would have it no other way, and his loyal Saiya-jin cronies could go down with him.

"You seem lost in thought, old friend." Bestrom’s cool voice broke through his reverie.

"So Prince Vegeta has taken off to locate his missing son?"

"Apparently so, Vergerom. The distress signal came in last night during dinner, they are both missing along with Kakkarot and his father." Bestrom spoke quietly from beside him, tail lashing nervously behind him. "If you have not heard from Paragus, then we can assume that he has been killed, though Brolli's fate would be more clouded, strong as he is."

"Is the woman with him?" Vergerom turned to stare at Bestrom, black eyes glowing with calculation. "The Prince has up and taken off to search for a half-breed brat with his human whore by his side. What better way to prove to the council that his reason is clouded by her charms?"

"True, if all of the council felt the way we do about having her as a Queen. There are several that admire her, however, and her accomplishments, which no one can deny, are great. She did kill Frieza after all, and her inventions... Vegeta could easily have the universe by controlling those alone. I think you underestimate her power and Vegeta's lack of reason. I think Vegeta sees reason very well."

"Then let her earn her right to stand by his side as Queen. I will call my daughter and the rest of the Saiya-jin we left behind; bade them to come to us. If Vegeta's woman is willing to earn her title then I will have no choice but to accept it and if she wins..." Vergerom shrugged. "There wouldn't be too much we could do now is there?"

Bestrom smiled, lashing his tail out in eagerness. "Yes, Vergerom, there would be... nothing."

"It will not come to that. My daughter, Aria, is as strong as any Saiya-jin woman has ever been and I have trained her well. Bulma will not be able to defeat her, at least not in hand-to-hand combat. It is doubtful that Vegeta would even wish to chance losing her. "

"Vegeta will be in for a nasty surprise when he gets back. Tell me, do you think that his mate has told him of the threat against his son?"

"She was too paralyzed with fear to utter a word. She is a smart girl and if she had opened her mouth, doubtless Vegeta would have confronted us, unless she chooses to tell him away from us. I suppose we must consider the possibility and prepare for it. Perhaps we could find some way to make her look guilty of some kind of treasonous behavior, something that excuses what we have done." Vergerom smiled. "We need only think up a tale and plant the seeds. When Vegeta gets back, his hand will be forced." Vergerom clapped Bestrom on the back, tail lashing out in excitement. "By the Gods, Bestrom, we have found our answer. "

"Yes, the only question is what is the treasonous behavior... it must be something that no one could prove untrue. Some thing that would, perhaps pit her word against the word of a Saiya-jin."

"Come, let us retire to my quarters and make our call to Aria. The sooner we get in touch with her, the sooner she will arrive and begin preparations to ascend the throne as the next Queen. I have a transmission to make to Koola as well. The sooner that Vegeta is under our control, the sooner we can take the throne for ourselves. Imagine, with Vegeta as our brawn, what we could accomplish."

"Controlling Prince Vegeta will not be an easy task, Vergerom." Bestrom turned, following his friend as he walked. "None of this will be easy."

"Koola is the key to controlling Vegeta. He has contact with a scientist on Chikyuu, one who specializes re-working minds and bodies. If we can get Vegeta to him, there would be no turning back. Only we would have ourselves made to be his master, not Koola. Once we had Vegeta under full control, we only need strike Koola down and take the universe as our own." Vergerom rubbed his hands together with glee at the thought of the betrayal. He had agreed to the pact with Koola in a desperate act of self-preservation, a very simple one, lure the killers of his brother--Frieza and their father out into the open, where Koola might easily find and kill them; in return he would have a place of power in Koola's government and his life, as well as the lives of the remaining Saiya-jin that were still alive. But now he had a chance to see things differently, to see a far different ending than he had originally anticipated, one that gave him control of the universe.

"What of this Dabura, the would be king of the universe? He is a formidable opponent to say the least and has made a powerful bid for control. I have heard talk of his powers. He may prove difficult." Bestrom stared with concern at Vergerom. It was too easy and Vergerom was a fool if he thought Vegeta could be so easily controlled. The girl would be a problem as well. Vegeta was too enraptured with her to believe any rumors or accusations started against her. He would more than likely just kill them all and take what he wanted. Whatever plan they thought out would have to be well conceived and foolproof.

"A minor difficulty, I assure you. Who knows we might even be able to lure him to our way of thinking. You look for trouble where there is none, Bestrom. Come let us go and make our transmissions. Over a good dinner we can work out the difficulties of our plan. You will see that it is not as difficult as you make it."

"I hope you are right, Vergerom. I have a feeling that Vegeta will not be so easily manipulated."

"He is a fool like his father and what is worse, he is an impetuous, hot headed fool who has allowed himself to be chained and shackled by a weak human no less. You give him far more credit than he is due."

"We shall see, Vergerom. If nothing else, I expect him to be a challenge." Bestrom's mouth tugged upwards, forming a small half smile. "And I do so love a good challenge."

 

******************

 

"Trunks, we'll be in Kannassan airspace within two days." Gohan walked back into the cabin of their ship, frowning at the sight of his best friend sitting dejectedly in a cabin chair, staring forlornly at the floor. His mother's death had hit him hard and he knew Trunks was going through a plethora of feelings: guilt, pain, sadness, rage... Gohan could have listed them until they arrived at Kannassa, but there was no point. His one hope was this time's Bulma and perhaps, even the father that had died when Trunks was still so young. If either one of them could reach through to Trunks and help him see that what had happened was not his fault, that he had done what he needed to, what his mother had wanted him to... he sighed, breaking off the thought. There was the capsule that Bulma had pushed into his hand, right before she died. She had said he needed to see it. Perhaps it was what he needed.

Gohan choked back a sob at the memory of her beautiful face, contorted with pain and something else, something close to relief as she had stared up into his heartbroken face. She had pressed the capsule into his hand, along with the capsule for the second time machine. What had she said?

"Gohan, go to Trunks, help him change this. Help your mother and father." Her voice had been raspy and she had coughed, sending a small spray of blood flying through the air.

He had began sobbing then, reaching down to wipe the blood from her face with his thumb, staining his skin, bending so close he could feel the gentle rush of her breath on his cheek as she took her last breaths, attempting to say what she felt she must. "Bulma, please, you can't die. Trunks and I need you... we need you. Don't leave us. Let me get you to the regen tank. You'll be as good as new." He had attempted to lift her, but she had shaken her head violently, groaning in pain. "What am I going to tell Trunks?" He had asked her in despair.

"No, it's too late, just take the time machine and go. Give the small capsule to Trunks. He needs to see it." She had coughed again, this time nearly choking on the blood that filled her lungs. "Tell him I'm going to go join his father, Gohan," She had whispered, gasping for air. "Tell him I will finally be happy."

Gohan had brought her to his chest, sobbing as he had felt her take her last, shuddering breath. His mother had died when he was very young and his father, well he could well remember the pain and shock of his father's death, but Bulma... Bulma had been the last bit of sanity that he and Trunks had held onto, the reason to keep up the fight. With her gone, what would they have left? The world was all but destroyed and Bulma had kept their morale strong. He shook his head. The only thing that had kept him going since his arrival here was that in this time, things could be different. In this time his parents could live, as could Trunks' and the artificial humans would be destroyed.

"How are we going to explain ourselves to our parents?" Gohan sat down across from Trunks, watching as he lifted his tear-stained face to look at him. He stared at his hands, even now, as he stared down at his hand, at the thumb that he had used to smooth the blood off her face, he could see the vivid red of her life staining his skin, and he clenched his hand, making a tight fist. She hadn't deserved to die that way, none of the people had and yet he and Trunks were powerless to stop it. He glanced back up at Trunks and sighed, watching his friend attempt to gather himself together. He felt his heart fall at the sight. Trunks was the strongest person he knew, not given to emotional breakdowns or tears easily. It frightened him to see him this way, yet what could he expect? He had sobbed like a baby when she had died as well and she hadn' t even been his true mother. He sighed, reaching over to clasp his friend's hand in a loose embrace. "Trunks, she told me to tell you that she was going to be with your father; that she would be happy. You have to know how much she missed your father. They are together now and no matter how much we might miss her, that is something to rejoice about." He removed his hand, scrambling into his pocket and pulling out the capsule. "She told me to give this to you." Gohan laid the capsule on the table, watching as Trunks's long fingers closed around it. "She said that you needed to see it. I'm sorry I'm just now giving it to you. With all the excitement of getting off of Chikyuu, I forgot."

"What am I going to do without her, Gohan?" Trunks asked in a hushed voice, finding it difficult to talk past the lump in his throat. He cursed at his inability to maintain his control, to be crying like this in front of Gohan left him feeling shamed and weak, yet he could not find it within himself to stop. His mother was gone and she had been all there was. "She was all I had left, all I had to live for. With her gone what's the point of fighting?" He clicked the capsule, watching as it decapsulated in a cloud of smoke, producing a small book. Trunks frowned, furrowing his brow, picking the book up.

"God, Trunks, she's your mother. You can't figure out what she would tell you?" Gohan leaned forward angrily. "I know you are in pain, but we can't forget what she wanted us to do, what she wanted to accomplish. We have a real chance to change things, to make things better not only for the entire world, but for us too. Don't give up on me now."

"I just miss her, Gohan. Before, I knew I would go back and she would be there waiting and now--now all I have to look forward to is an empty, ruined building and a nightmare of a world." Trunks thumbed open the book, flipping through the pages.

"You will always have your memories, Trunks, not to mention that we have a time machine. "If we get lonely for our parents, we only have to hop in and go visit. I lost my parents too you know. Bulma was as much a mother to me as she was to you." Gohan watched as Trunks scrutinized the small book. "What is that?" He nodded towards the book in Trunks' hands.

Trunks glanced up, running a shaky hand through his lilac hair. "It's her journal, Gohan. The first entry is made right after her return..." Trunks blues eyes widened in surprise. "My God, now I can find out what happened... all the things she refused to tell me or couldn't tell me."

"You're probably going to be living it here shortly." Gohan remarked, moving to stand. He ran a hand through his short, spiky hair. "Either way, we are going to be getting a front seat to the rise and fall of the universe."

"Why do you think she would have given this to me?" Trunks stood flipping through the pages of the journal. His mother's neat, precise writing filled every page.

"Maybe she thought it would give you the strength to fill your father's shoes and lead the universe out of darkness. You have always put Prince Vegeta on a pedestal, attempting to live up to his ideal instead of making your own. Maybe she thought it was time you knew who he was, and maybe she hoped it would help you know who you were." Gohan stared at his friend intently, watching the blue eyes narrow imperceptibly at his words. At sixteen, Gohan was far wiser than he probably should have been and many a night he and Bulma had sat together, waiting for Trunks to come home from his turn at chasing after the artificial humans, quietly discussing the enigma that was Trunks, his best friend and her beloved son.

"All," she had said to him once, "That was good between his father and I, that boy, all that was good."

Trunks tossed the book on the table, turning away. "It's like you said. It hardly matters now, since I'm about to experience what they did. Reading it about it won't really make a difference."

"You don't know that. Things might have unfolded differently then, or there might be something in there that you need to see... something that might help us change things." Gohan glanced at the book, before turning back to Trunks.

"I don't know, Gohan. There is this part of me that wants to know, but there is this other part of me that is scared. There had to be a reason she didn't tell me what happened to her or talk about Father much. Maybe I'm not ready to know."

Gohan grinned widely, clapping his hand down on Trunks' shoulder. "I hate to be the one to remind you, but all of this conjecture is a moot point. We are about to confront the past head on and one way or the other, whether you read it or live it...you are going to be finding out everything that happened in our parents lives and as far as the legendary Prince Vegeta...well we are about to find out if he's as legendary as all the people say. "

Trunks looked up, meeting Gohan's sparkling black eyes with haunted blue eyes. "That's what I'm afraid of, Gohan, that's what I'm afraid." Worse than that was the thought he wouldn't let Gohan see: What if his father thought him worthless? What if he failed to live up to his father's standards? His mother had only said that he had admired strength and shunned weakness. Trunks was full of weaknesses. He sighed.

There could be no thinking like this. One way or another, he was going to be meeting his father and he had to believe that his father cared about him, that he would think highly of him. It was all he had to hold onto.

 

*************

 

Kakkarot sat down on the rock, watching the darkening sky. They had trekked almost thirty miles, breaking only to catch some type of nasty fish for dinner. They hadn’t even been able to cook it, the fear of using their ki and alerting the sorceresses to their presence was too prevalent in their minds. Only twenty more miles and they would be there soon. They had checked the kis periodically making sure that they had not moved. Kakkarot figured they had either been captured or were hiding in some kind of cave. He had seen several as they had walked along, commenting on what good hiding places they would make. He had received only a grunt from Vegeta who had reverted back to his silent, guarded self, saying little, merely walking along with single-handed determination. Kakkarot knew his mind had to be on his mate.

It had been hours since they had spoken to Bardock and Chi-Chi. Kakkarot was fairly certain that Bulma lived, Vegeta would not be able to remain so guarded had she not been alive, and the loss of his bond with her would have prevented him from staying aloof. Chi-Chi had remained alright, though Kakkarot had sensed her trepidation growing whenever he had felt her out.

Vegeta took note of the darkening sky, listening to the sounds that went on around him. Experience had taught him to worry when those sounds ceased and so far, they had remained a constant. His mind had lifted somewhat as he had checked his mate's ki, finding it growing stronger each time he had felt her out. Bardock had managed to get her the help she had needed, that was the only explanation for the rise in her energy. He had found her a regeneration tank.

Vegeta leaned against the wet bark of a massive tree, wrinkling his nose at the stench of the molding moss that covered it. The planet was hopelessly wet and swampy, warm in spots, but mostly heavy with a chill that seeped into his bones and refused to release its clammy grip. He couldn't even flare his ki in hopes of warming himself up.

His thoughts drifted back to his mate, wondering if he dared risk some type of communication with her. It hardly took any energy; still it was enough of a risk to be dangerous to him. Still the desire to hear her, to know she was all right was damn near overwhelming him and he found that outweighed his desire to keep his mind sorceress free. It was a chance he had to take.

Woman. He formed the word in his mind, searching out the tendrils of her mind. Are you there? He sat back to wait, not having to for long as her voice shot through his mind, soft and husky, sending a shiver racing down his spine.

Vegeta. Are you alright?

I was about to ask you that woman? How is your head?

Better.

Vegeta heard the slightest whisper of amusement in her voice, before her tone turned serious.

I'm waiting for these lizard bastards to show me what they have done with Bardock. They are not overly fond of him here.

Vegeta thought he heard her sigh. Have they hurt you in anyway? His voice was hard, edged with danger.

No, not really. After I got out of the regen tank, they sat me in a room and asked me endless questions about my association with the Saiya-jin. Chi-Chi told me that Bardock wanted us to keep the association quiet and not mention him by name, in case they recognize him. I think that might have already happened.

Her worried voice sent a pang of jealousy shooting through him. Why would she be so worried about Bardock? He was in danger too, yet she had not sounded so worried for his fate. He felt something akin to resentment fill his body.

Bulma must have sensed his dangerous mood for he felt wave of concern, followed by contrite words.

I'm sorry; I just haven't had much chance to think beyond what's been happening here. I've only been out of the tank for a short while. I love you even if you do infuriate me

Vegeta snorted, before replying. Don't worry, you'll be able to prove that to me the next time you see me. I'm fine, woman, but you might have to share me if it's mating season for the sorcerer Queen. He smirked at sound of outrage that rang through his mind. His little one was jealous, perhaps this would be a fitting place to end the conversation and leave her hanging, not that he had any desire to end his contact with her. Still it was dangerous to keep the conversation going. He had been lucky.

What do you mean--mating season? Her voice had taken a dangerous quality, thrilling to his Saiya-jin senses.

Vegeta smirked before replying, enjoying the possessive note in her voice, reveling in it. Don't worry about it, woman, I'm sure that I'll be able to fight her off and protect my virtue. With that he was gone, breaking the conversation, and exiting her mind quickly. He could feel her attempting to get him back, but he put up a mental wall, refusing to allow her entry. There was a part of him that felt guilty, riling her up that way with little more than a quick dismissal, but the other, more evil part took perverse pleasure knowing she was now experiencing the same hell he was with her in close proximity to Bardock, that maybe she would be jealous over him.

Perhaps it had been their time together on the planet Hell, but Vegeta knew that he wasn't being a fool. Bulma had no serious feelings but Bardock did--it was obvious and having them thrown together in yet another close circumstance did little to calm his nerves, especially since he was the fool that had thrown them together. If Bardock knew what was good for him, when this was all over, he would stay as far away from Bulma as he could get.

He would attempt to contact her later and set things right between them, assure her that he was on his way to protect her and reunite her with her son.

Kakkarot watched Vegeta smirk devilishly, brow furrowing as he wondered what in the hell the Prince was doing. He watched the smirk turn to a fierce scowl before the mask of cool indifference slipped back over Vegeta's sharp features. What in the hell had that been about?

A rustle of leaves turned his attention away and he leapt to his feet prepared to do battle. Peripherally he saw Vegeta and Toma come to flank him, as the rustling grew louder. To his immense horror, he watched as a large group, about sixteen or seventeen strong, of women, all dressed in a varying array of animal hides emerge from the forest and surround them. He felt his heart sink. There was no way they could fight these many. Their minds would be ripe for the picking if they weren't already.

Vegeta cursed as the women surrounded them. How in the hell would they be able to fight without losing control of the situation? Granted if they could kill them, it would cease to be an issue, but it was really all in the timing.

"More infidels, Tandra, to take before the Queen, and handsome ones as well. Look at them." A tall, black-haired woman spoke up, the corner of her mouth turning up wickedly as she looked them over.

"Strong too, perhaps the Queen will let us have them for sport." Another red-headed witch remarked, sharpened teeth gleaming in the fading light."

Vegeta growled, charging up a ki blast, preparing to blast as many as he could into oblivion. Toma's hand on his arm stopped him. Shrugging it off, he whirled, staring down Toma with a deadly glare that could have rivaled even the scowling visage of his father. How dare he stop him from killing the fucking witches?

"Wait, Vegeta. She said more infidels. I'd bet they have captured Radditz and King Brennon. We should allow them to take us to them before we start killing them. It is the only hope we have of finding them now." Toma spoke intently, meeting the rage filled black eyes of the Prince straight on, never flinching, never faltering. Vegeta was allowing his past treatment at their hands cloud his better judgment and while Toma could understand that, even sympathize with it, he must be made to calm down if they were going to get the brats back and get off this planet in one piece. "We can do what we must once we reach their camp," he spoke softly, attempting to pacify the Prince, "but for now we must pretend acquiescence."

"What if they decide that they want to link themselves to our minds, Toma?" Vegeta sneered, unwilling to concede the point, unwilling to allow his mind to be touched or used against him in any way. The mere idea was enough to make him want to be ill, not to mention that Bulma could be affected through their bond and he would not have her suffer the horrors of that again. He could take what he wanted by force, it mattered little to him. While he was at it, he might just blow up the entire planet and see them all destroyed. It would be no great loss to the universe. "I would rather blow them all to hell now." Vegeta growled in rage, turning back to them, preparing himself once again to send a blast in their direction.

"What if their Queen kills them? These women are all telepathically linked. She will know the moment you destroy them what has happened and why." Toma snapped, irritation with the hotheaded Prince winning out over the gentle persuasions that he had tried before. "Best to wait until we have gathered everyone we have come to rescue, Vegeta. Don't be a fool; don't be unwise like your father. It will get your brat killed." Toma snarled.

"I should kill you for speaking to me that way." Vegeta grated out, infuriated that the third class bastard would have the nerve to call him fool. Charging up a ki blast, he raised his hand, aiming it at Toma.

"Then do so when we have gotten off this planet," Toma faced him down, not flinching, "but do what I say for now. I have been purging planets since before you were born, boy. I have some idea of what I'm talking about. Tell Kakkarot to stand down and go with them peaceably."

Vegeta stared into the black eyes of the older man for what seemed to Toma like an eternity, ki blast glowing a brilliant bluish white in his hand. Toma could easily see the war Vegeta was waging with himself to stay in control and not kill him, the black eyes flickering with a deadly, burning rage for a long, tension-filled moment before he managed, by sheer force of will, to extinguish it--something the father would never have been able to do. Toma was vaguely aware of the audience that watched them; the almost curious witches who had watched the exchange in almost amused fashion. He exhaled slowly, feeling the muscles in his belly unclench as Vegeta lowered his hand.

"Stand down, Kakkarot." Vegeta spat, never removing his eyes from Toma's. "We will let them take us to their Queen. It is obvious they have our brats, let them make the first move." In some deep part of himself he could admit that Toma was right, though he was loathe to ever let that admission see the light of day. Toma did have more experience than he did, having been sent on so many purge missions for Frieza during his time of service, actually serving Frieza far longer than Vegeta had ever managed to, something that Vegeta was actually grateful for.

"Are you sure, Vegeta?" Kakkarot straightened, tossing Vegeta a quick glance of apprehension, before flicking his gaze towards Toma.

"Yes, idiot, I'm sure. We will make our move once they have shown us our brats." Vegeta hissed, wishing he could simply blow them, Kakkarot and Toma away. What did the fucking brat matter anyway, he wanted to scream, angered that he had been brought to this yet again, yet even as he thought the words, images of Bulma, struggling to give birth to his son, carrying the boy by herself for nine long months on a planet whose sole purpose was a hellish one at that. The brat mattered far more than he would ever be able to adequately express, a testament to the feelings that existed between him and the boy's mother. Trunks was his son and heir, a Prince; he could not leave his son to die, anymore than he could leave the woman that meant so much to him, no matter his harsh words or thoughts to the contrary. He would give his life for either one of them, they knew that as well as he did.

He swallowed his disgust as the red headed witch--what had her name been? He couldn't recall-- moved towards him, closing his eyes as he prepared for what would be the inevitable linking of their minds. It never came. Opening his eyes, he stared into her face, shuddering again at the razor-sharp teeth that were mere inches away from his face, her fetid breath filling the air around him, nearly causing him to choke. He inhaled sharply as her hand slid up his chest to rest lightly on his shoulder and he fought the urge to blast her away, to remove her from his space. Around him, the endless chatter and squawking of the damp, twisted jungle had ceased leaving them all in an unholy silence.

"You're a strong one, all of you are. Won't the Queen be glad to have so many fine men to choose from? Pity, I won't be able to experience my own fun with you." Her mouth curved up the slightest fraction of an inch and her eyes glinted with an almost maniacal gleam, causing Vegeta to shudder yet again.

Vegeta felt the brush of her mind against his and he steeled himself for the unwanted contact, cursing himself, Toma and the fates for putting him in this situation yet again--some kind of galactic retribution for the crimes he had committed as Frieza's lackey, he didn't doubt, his penance for all that he had done wrong. If he had his way there would be one more planet to add to the list of purged and destroyed that he could claim responsibility for. Taking another deep breath, he forced himself to relax, forced himself to accept the inevitable. It would only be for a short while and then she would be dead and he would be free. Surprisingly, despite the initial contact, her mind withdrew from him, leaving his mind free of her sickening presence.

"I'd better not yet, I do not wish to anger my Queen. She will make her choice first, then I will take what is left. Either way, I can't lose."

Her mouth curved up, casting her face in a near menacing look of promise and anticipation, making Vegeta feel as if he were the prey in a deadly game of survival. Again his mind urged him towards self-preservation and again he forced the thought away, thinking instead of his brat--the brat that had his mother's eyes, his mother's hair. Vegeta felt a sharp pang of longing, remembering the afternoon before, when they had been entwined around one another in bed, pleasuring each other to the point of physical exhaustion. Now look at him, forced to submit to something he had thought to never come into contact with again and his woman, his woman was on a planet far away from him, held prisoner by Saiya-jin-hating reptiles.

Tandra allowed her green eyes to flick lightly over the muscular figure before her, shuddering with the need to mate and dominate. Any of the men around her were strong, more than capable of getting her with a strong child and providing hours of exhilarating sport. The other man, back at their village, he was equally as strong, with long, black hair that flowed down his back... Tandra could not imagine what good fortune had brought so many mate-worthy men to the planet, but she would not argue with it.

Vegeta tried not to be sick, too fresh images from Tantris and his torture at her hands flashing through his mind, rendering him helpless and frozen as she motioned him forward. Fighting back another strong urge to blast a hole through her chest, he started forward, falling in behind Kakkarot, walking silently along. He need only tolerate their presence for a while longer, before he would be able to destroy every sorceress within a one hundred mile radius. He would to; he would blow this fucking planet away and let it be good riddance to the universe. It would bring him pleasure to do that service for the galaxy.

 

**************

 

Bardock stood silently, watching the elder Kannassan as he walked around him, completing a full circle and coming to a halt behind him. He had identified himself as Hachuu and it was apparent to Bardock that he had been recognized. Bardock swished his tail behind him once, before carefully wrapping it around his waist. He made no moves, simply stood and allowed the Kannassan free will as he circled and studied him.

"Did you think that I would fail to recognize you, Bardock of Vegita-sei? It is hard to forget the slayer of one's family now isn't it, or one's race? Tell me do you still remember the face of your planet's destroyer, your master--Frieza? Time has not dimmed my memory in the least. Twenty years have passed and still I can tell you everything of that day, of the hour that you and your regiment of troops struck. My child would be full grown now if not for you; now I have no family, only useless memories, torments really. Tell me, Bardock of Vegita-sei, do you have any children... a wife, what is it you Saiya-jin call your other--a mate? Were they allowed the chance to grow into adulthood?"

"I'm sorry. I never meant you any harm; I only followed Frieza's orders. I was young and foolish." Bardock squeezed his eyes shut, trying not to recall the senseless slaughter of so many Kannassans under his feet, tried not to recall the mindless fury and blood-raging excitement that had flowed through him as he had looked at the moon and allowed his power free will. He shuddered with the force of the memories, mildly surprised that they would be so strong, still, after all these years.

"That excuses the deaths of thousands of innocent lives? You come from a race of bloodthirsty barbarians. Don't tell me that Frieza forced you to do what you did that day. You were as thrilled at the spill of blood as your master was. Tell me, Saiya-jin," the old Kannassan spat, "do you recall the faces of the many you slaughtered, of the cities you destroyed? Can you recall the look on my face as you killed my mate before my eyes? Do you even remember me and my own? I doubt it, not with the amounts that you have spilled. We knew that you would be coming, we knew that our deaths were coming and that we stood little chance to escape, yet we faced you with courage, something that the Saiya-jin can claim to have. Only cowards would have allowed themselves to be used in such a vile manner, though I fear Frieza is given far more credit than he deserves in your race's blood-thirsty nature. You are all born to kill and destroy, it is all you know."

"I'm not the same man that I was all those years ago. I make no apologies for what I have been, but I regret the actions of my youth and I offer you my remorse for your loss." Bardock spoke softly, evenly. "I offer you no excuses nor do I seek your forgiveness, I only wish to convey my sadness at the pain that I caused."

"Yes, well you would find no forgiveness here, so perhaps it is best that you do not seek it." Hachuu paused, his voice taking on a tone of contemplation. "I had thought to kill you tonight, Bardock, strike you down as you struck down my wife and children all those years ago, but it is too easy, too fast an absolution for you, too easy a retribution for all that you have done. No, I have thought long and hard this past day as to what to do to you and it finally came to me as I sat contemplating the fortunes that had brought you back here to face my wrath. It came almost as if it were a vision." Hachuu shrugged. "Perhaps it was." Hachuu turned, motioning the door open with the flick of a wrist.

Bardock watched warily as two guards led Bulma and Chi-Chi into the room, neither woman bound or subdued. He watched Bulma's face light up at the sight of him and he smiled, grateful that she and his son's mate and unborn brat were alright. Thankfully, Bulma had gotten help and he shut his eyes in relief at the sight of her, gratitude that the Kannassans had kept their word flowing through him. She was alright. Thank the Gods she had been healed.

Opening his eyes, he allowed them to sweep over her lovely face, still a shade paler than normal, the blue eyes a bit duller, but free of any wounds. She looked frightened and Bardock found himself nearly overcome with the urge to hold her and shelter her from her fears. He shook his head, wishing he could burn the thoughts away. She was Vegeta's mate, not his. Thoughts like that would get him killed by Vegeta's hand if he kept them up. Their time together had been brief and based on the extremity of their situation on Hell--nothing had really ever happened anyway, nothing beyond touching. Bulma had made it perfectly clear that she would remain loyal to Vegeta and he had respected that. Bardock would not take advantage of her vulnerability now, still, he wondered what it would be like to feel her against him again as he had on Hell, feel her soft hands on him as they traveled over his skin. He shook his head, cursing. He had been far too long without a woman.

"I thought that your lovely companions might wish to be here to witness the gift that you are about to be given. It is a wondrous gift and one that you should be quite grateful to receive, though some would consider it a curse. It was certainly a curse when we could do nothing to change the course before us." Hachuu watched Bardock's eyebrows lift in confusion. The stupid monkey had no idea what he was talking about. Hachuu circled him again, walking around him to face his back. To the monkey bastard's credit, he made no move to turn or face him down. He lifted his hand, spearing Bardock with a searing, white-hot light, before he could so much as breath. Hachuu heard the shriek of terror and outrage from the two women that were being held firmly in place by his guards and laughed lightly, motioning the guards to release them.

Bardock dropped to his knees, blackness rushing towards him as if he were in a tunnel, around him images, voices, thoughts all swirled around him, threatening to engulf him and he screamed with the sensation of them as they impacted his body and took hold of his mind. Every nerve lit up as if it were on fire. Bulma smiling down at him, her blue hair sweat-slicked and short, bending towards him... Vegeta, oh god, Vegeta, raging and furious, a glowing M tattooed across his forehead, his aura frightening and powerful, so powerful. Bardock struggled to breathe, the feeling of drowning, of losing himself, of being drug down with the weight of the images that he was seeing. He screamed out again, as another rush of images flashed by him, the conversations and words jumbled together as if they were a blurred reception on the Chikyuu-jin radio he had come to love. Bardock saw his son, Kakkarot, furious and intent, facing down Vegeta amongst the thick trees and vines of a jungle. What was this? What was he seeing? "Kakkarot!" He called, gasping for air, desperate for his son to hear him, to answer him, suddenly aware of something warm and comforting surrounding him, sheltering him. Bardock reached for it, seeking the comfort out as if it were a lifeline, his only lifeline, the blackness coming up on him quickly as yet more faces and blurred, disjointed pictures flashed by: a purple-haired brat, wielding a sword, Trunks... was it Trunks and the boy next to him, so much like him-- like Kakkarot, staring in horror at a blonde haired woman with slanted blue eyes. Around him, the sound of teasing, mocking laughter surrounded him. What was this?

Bulma wrapped her arms around the convulsing man, terror coursing through her at the sounds of his heart-rending moans and pain-filled screams as whatever ran through him took its course. She felt him reach out for her, encircling her in his arms and holding on for dear life, struggling for air, to breath, whimpering as his body jerked and shook.

Chi-Chi grabbed his hand, wincing as he squeezed it tightly, turning to face the chortling Kannassan that watched the scene unfold. "What did you do to him?" She snapped, fear that he might be dying taking hold of her. "What have you done?"

"I've merely given him a gift, my dear, something that he will find most useful in what remains of his life." Hachuu turned and motioned for the guards. "Dump them in a holding chamber, while I decide what to do with them."

Bulma shrieked as the guard grabbed her, pulling her from Bardock's embrace. She struggled to get free, concern for Bardock overriding any sense of self-preservation. He had helped her, had guided her through so much in the past. He had helped her give birth to Trunks for God's sake, she couldn't let them kill him or hurt him. She owed him far too much for that. Across from her, she saw Chi-Chi struggle against her own captor, fighting and screeching like a banshee to escape as yet another, bulkier guard hauled Bardock up, tossing him over his shoulder.

Bardock could hear them screaming. "Bulma, Chi-Chi," He moaned hoarsely, wanting to help them, to go to them, but unable to lift even one finger to aid them. He could feel something picking him up, wanted to struggle, even as he sifted through the onslaught of images and scenes that continued to race towards him, swirling about him as if he were lost in a blizzard. Mercifully he could see the end, could see the blackness that was his salvation and as it reached for him with its cool embrace, he welcomed it.

 

****************

 

"Come, Dabura," Babidi, fresh from his conversation with Koola’s man Sauzza called, voice ringing with glee. "We must prepare ourselves to meet with Koola. I can use him you know, to gain what I want."

"What is that, my master?" Dabura turned, watching his master's face carefully. He watched as the whiskers of the small creatures face twitched. "Dealing with Koola could prove very dangerous. "

"Are you telling me that you, the Demon King, could not handle him, Dabura?" Babidi looked at him with amusement. "I could easily have Koola bowing to my beck and call, if I wanted him and I might... imagine a whole army of warriors at my beck and call." Babidi rubbed his hands together excitedly. "Still, the only two really worth having are the two Saiya-jin: Kakkarot and Vegeta. I will never be able to control Kakkarot, there is no evil in his heart, still in Vegeta, I sense deep unrest, and that will be the foundation of my control over him. He will be a valuable soldier to us, Dabura, with that kind of strength."

"We have to find him first." Dabura remarked calmly, staring out the window of the small ship that they had chartered to rendezvous with Koola. He much preferred Babidi's ship, but it had been too large for Koola’s ship and they had left it behind.

"Don't worry, Vegeta will pop up soon enough and when he does," Babidi cackled insanely, "we'll take him by surprise. He'll never know what hit him and then the universe will be ours. With my help, Vegeta will be unstoppable. You know," he smirked evilly, "I only gather the strongest of men to join my elite group of soldiers. Vegeta will be a fine edition.

"Do you not fear that he will be hard to control, master?" Dabura turned towards Babidi, pink face furrowed in concern, the slightest twinge of jealousy eating at his soul. He was Babidi’s right hand man, not Vegeta.

"Please, Dabura, don't be ridiculous. He is a Saiya-jin warrior? How intelligent could he be? He will be mindless with rage and firmly under my control when I get a hold of him. Don't you worry about a thing."

"Of course, my master. It will be as you say."

 

* * * * *


Table of Contents
Chapter 1
Interlude - Mirai Bulma's Journal