Chapter Six: Sweet Vengeance

 

Bulma slid down into the steaming water, letting it seep into her pores and carry away her stress. Her burned leg was propped up on the edge of the white tub. A week had passed since the incident with Vegita, a week since she had discovered the reason behind the panels in the kitchen, a week since her detection that the temple wasn’t as magical as it had been made out to be.

"Made by the gods of Vegitasei? I don’t think so," she whispered merrily to herself. The running water sprayed a thick fog of steam throughout the white room. Vegita was still training and probably wouldn’t be back for another few hours so she had indulged herself to this little privilege and taken a bath. Today had been quite a discovery. Bulma smiled to herself. Vegita would learn just how much of a stupid weakling she was. "Heh- stupid. I don’t think so, asshole."

She had pried open the panel doors, gasping in awe as she saw it housed the circuitry boards for nearly every operating system in the temple. Bulma had slid each one out, inspecting the wires and labels, until she had found the perfect one for her revenge. The gravity control for the outer boundaries. Even now she nearly squealed in girlish delight. It would be so exciting and she couldn’t wait to get to work tomorrow. That arrogant prince would see that she was no one to be made a fool of. "He won’t take me lightly again. I’ll be sure of that."

* * * * * * * * * *

Vegita drew his breath quietly as he perfected his kata in utter silence. Sweat dripped from his hot skin as his slow movements fatigued his overdriven body. He sucked in breath once again as he finished the form sequence and paused before hastily performing kick drills. Although Vegita’s body was in steady control of itself he was far from such peace in his mind. Only this time his thoughts were not of the troublesome bitch, but instead of his loathsome father. — How could my weak father have completed this horrid torture completely alone and without the strength that I possess? He is so much weaker than I, yet obviously he managed to overcome this vast space of nothing. Perhaps he did bring a concubine with him and he just didn’t mention it. Even that small amount of company would have provided some sanity.—

Vegita desperately drove his body to its limits, determined to become the legendary. There was no way he was leaving without attaining the power he was destined for. It was there still, taunting him, giving him the tiniest taste, what a sweet and magnificent taste it was. Such unbelievable, uncharted, untouchable power deep in the recesses of his being but he couldn’t reach it, not quite— that alone was enough to make him lose his mind. So close but not close enough. His muscles ached something fierce as he forced out each move until the microscopic fibers tore and he fell to his knees. Vegita’s breath hitched, but he bit his tongue. God, now he was going to cry. Cry like a sniveling brat!

"Dammit! Why?!" Vegita screamed while pounding his clenched fists deep into the marble, little spider cracks appearing instantly. He hitched again as the last of his strength left him, and fell back on the white floor. Just as he lost consciousness a pair of tears dripped back to his temples and disappeared into his hair.

"Like a brat…"

* * * * * * * * * *

Bulma stood quietly on the inner boundary platform, looking out at the vast white. Vegita hadn’t come back the night before, at least to her knowledge. She only hoped that he didn’t decide to come back midday. Today was the day that she was going to ‘fix’ the outer boundary’s gravity level.

"Then he won’t be coming back for a while." Bulma snickered and sang her song once again. She sat, in blissful peace with her legs folded comfortably beside her, the burned one on top, carefully plucking and pulling at the magnitude of wires that were strung to and fro. Occasionally she would laugh aloud when a hidden wire was found and her plan came a bit closer to reality.

Her thoughts skipped from the wires; to the invention she would create with them to make Vegita suffer; to the precautions she would have to take in order for this to work, to what would happen if he caught her. She didn’t dwell too long on the last one, because she knew that if he ever discovered what she was doing while he was away she would be dead. In all probability it would be a rather horrifying death, perhaps the most unimaginable possible. She shuddered and continued on with her work well into the afternoon.

After hours of threading through each and every wire and committing to memory each of their uses, the young human’s eyes began to burn from such concentration and perhaps not enough blinking. In any case, a break from her work was in order. Bulma stood and stretched out her back. She really craved some tea but thought better of it as she didn’t need two burned legs. "At least it’s almost healed," she said looking down at the one with a small wrap around it and then at her wrist watch. Bulma yawned as she walked slowly to the kitchen to get a drink, putting all the wires lying on the floor out of her mind for a moment.

* * * * * * * * * *

Vegita walked bitterly towards the platform at a slow pace. He was tired, irritated, and very aggravated at his inability to reach the highest level. In all reality he should have been at least minutely grateful that his power level had increased enormously since entering the temple, but he wasn’t. In his mind, it was not enough to merely increase in power and still not be able to transform. Vegita growled at himself. As the huge white hall came closer, he gathered his wits and looked somewhat regal. His acute sight saw that the lights were still on, despite the late hour.

"What on Vegitasei could she be up to now?" He was apathetic of her doings, but the curiosity fixed his mind nonetheless. Slowly, Vegita walked towards the light in the kitchen.

Bulma leaned against the sink edge, washing the black grime off of her hands from the circuitry boards. She smiled as she hummed. So far, she had isolated the wires that would be important for her mission as well as the new terminals she’d have to build. Shaking her hands dry, Bulma turned to grab the towel but a thick chest blocked her way.

"Vegita!" she gasped in surprise. Her mind immediately thought of the wires around the corner. Oh Gods if he saw the panels open then she was done for. Bulma fought the urge to cut her eyes sideways around the little outcropping, where the wires lay strewn all over the floor.

"Woman, what are you doing up so late?" he rasped. Vegita was fatigued, his body full of toxins from such an incredible workout. He watched as the woman in front of him swayed a bit, knowing he was prone to pass out at any minute from the sheer exhaustion of his body.

"I-I was just cleaning up the kitchen before I went to bed," she stammered. "That’s all." Bulma’s heart thumped madly against her chest. Just go away, she begged in her mind.

"Right," he mumbled as he turned to leave.

Bulma felt her hand on her chest as she breathed a sigh of relief. But suddenly, Vegita turned back around and made for the fridge. She felt her throat tighten.

"What are you doing?" she squeaked as she stepped in front of him.

Vegita stood astounded. "What do you mean ‘what are you doing?’… I’m getting a drink, woman. Get out of my way," he growled as he pushed her aside, but Bulma caught onto his armor.

Bulma felt the panic seep in, but kept a hold on his shoulder. "I’ll get you a glass of water and take it to your room. You need to relax after such a hard day."

Vegita halted and glanced at her sideways. How strange. He’d never understand women. One minute they’re screaming at you and then next they are ready to wait on your every whim. "Don’t tell me what I need, woman," he said with a growl, yet he turned to go to his room nonetheless.

Bulma watched him disappear into the hallway. Once he left her sight, she dropped to the ground in exasperation.

"That was too close," she said with wide eyes.

* * * * * * * * * *

Vegita stood under the steady stream of water, letting the intense heat work at his sore muscles. As he worked a handful of shampoo into his thick hair, he recalled his earlier conversation with the woman. She had been so bold, yet her fear was also obvious. A smirk donned his tan face, what a pathetic creature she was. Vegita leaned his head back, letting the warm water soak to his scalp and wash away the sweat and grime from his training. He swiped at the handle, shutting off the shower, and stepped out into the airy room. As he grabbed a towel and began drying himself off, he felt his muscles strain in their tense state. His daily workouts were becoming more and more intense, bringing him closer and closer to tasting the sweet well of power hiding far back in his being. At the moment, he was so exhausted that any thought besides that of sleep made his head spin. Tomorrow, he would rise fully rested, and completely ready to attain his deepest desire. "Super Saiya-jin," he mumbled before promptly succumbing to the comforting darkness of slumber.

Bulma peeked cautiously around the archway of the master bedroom, and was relieved to see the prince asleep. She glanced down at the glass of water she had brought, as she had promised she would. Silently, she walked into his room and set the glass down on his nightstand, careful to not wake him. Just as soundlessly as she had entered Bulma had gone, ready to finish up the last few details of her project. With Vegita knocked out she would have the best opportunity of completing it and getting everything set up so that tomorrow would run smooth. Bulma snickered to herself. "Vengence is sweet."

* * * * *


Table of Contents
Chapter 5
Chapter 7