Chapter Two: Interruptions

 

The lavishly decorated halls of the palace slowly faded into the bare gray high ceiling of the transport station. He walked proudly down the wide halls. Every now and then a slave would pop out of a room only to run back in at the sight of him. Others would hit the floor in a cowardly bow. He laughed inwardly. Stupid fools. They knew he was by far their superior and that he had much more potential than his father.

Speak of the devil. There the bastard was. The young prince walked up next to his father in a silent joust.

"Where have you been brat?" Ou Vegita harshly asked his heir without turning his head. The ouji smirked.

"Preparing to surpass you, old man." He replied as if he was stating the weather. He barely noticed his father tense up. The king knew good and well that his son held the potential to go above and beyond what he had. The ou straighten his posture

"The royal transport will be here in a few moments. Quite flashy actually, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It will take us to the temple. Its best for us to make an entrance for our people." Ou Vegita stated and was about to leave when his son spoke up.

"Ridiculous. I will not be taken to my kingship ceremony in a transport." Vegita stubbornly opposed. His father whirled around.

"I will not tolerate your foolish retaliation, boy! We are going and that is final." His voice grew silently threatening.

"Father, we are saiyajins. We are very capable of using our own power to fly verses using technology. It is disgraceful to use such false power." Vegita chided his father. The king was beginning to lose his control. How dare his son stand there and not only question his antics but lecture him on the power of his own race! Vegita was thrilled that his father was getting riled up, but his fathers next statement really ticked him over the edge.

"If you ever plan to be king you will do well to promote the modern technology we have in our grasp. However, foolish boy, let me remind you that I am the still king of this empire and you are still under my rule. If you chose not to obey me I will give you the beating of your life you insolent wretch!" The king let his power level rise slightly in warning. Vegita lost it.

"How dare you threaten me you old bastard! I will not be ordered around by the likes of you! You will soon see what power I possess and then, then father, we will see who is king!" In a mess of insults and power surges the young saiyajin took to the skies in blind rage. The crew standing by to escort the king and prince were knocked to their feet from the after shock of Vegita's power surge.

The ouji gritted his teeth in frustration. His father was to weak to be king. He was only eighteen and was close to his father's power level. The old man was losing it if he thought the saiyajin race needed technology to survive. He shook his head and pressed on to make his grand entrance at the temple. Today was his day!

The king stood unmoving from his stance. His foolish boy of a son would learn one day that to be king, power was not the only thing necessary. "Once he's betrothed he should settle down ... stupid brat!" He muttered to himself.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bulma dodged yet another person that almost ran into her. Really these people had eyes for a reason! She looked up in time to catch a glance of a huge shadow before it came crashing down on her.

"Uggh!" She opened her eyes to see a massive mountain of black hair blocking her view. She tried to get up but found that her arms were clamped under a vast wall of chest muscles. Oh god! It was a saiyajin guard! Her eyes spotted the furry tail dangling down her leg. She stiffened and prayed that he would not notice she was a slave. Yeah right, her science division uniform was a dead give away, not to mention her ring. She heard a groan and watched as a pissed face came up to level with her own. He began to growl.

"Watch it girl! You should know better than to get in a saiyajin's way!" The guard scolded forcefully. He looked so familiar. She was relieved that this guard wasn't the same one that had pinched her before. He still hadn't made a move to get up, which was getting Bulma worried. He lifted up a little bit and Bulma sucked in her air and slipped out from underneath him. He hiked an eyebrow as she tried to scurry away. How had she been able to get out from under him? Bulma was halted in her tracks by a firm grasp on her wrist.

"I do believe you are a slave, and there is a punishment for pestering guards." Bulma's fear quickly reverted to courage. She looked up his towering height and peered into his eyes.

"And I do believe that I have my ring, and I am in no way violating any laws by accidentally bumping into you. If you're such a strong saiyajin, how come you are letting a small occurrence such as this get to you? Now, I'll be on my way." Bulma said in a sassy voice. She turned up her nose and walked away. The guard stood in astonishment. She had guts, he'd give her that. If he had been anyone other than a new recruit to Bardock's team, she would be history. The only reason he was pestering her to begin with was because Bardock had told him about her. She certainly was a bit saucy for a slave. He waved it off, he had a lot of work to do.

Bulma was glad to be far from that guard. God, was he following her or something? He always seemed to be around. Oh well, she had a lot to do. The ou and ouji would be coming in less than half an hour. She walked to her station where Bardock was suppose to give her new orders. She sighed and waited. The young slave spotted him coming towards her with a few guards in tow.

"Okay. I need you to get these boxes ready to go into the temple. I brought more assistance. Get it done quick, I have other things for you to do." Bardock huffed out his orders so quick, Bulma hardly got them all. The saiyajin scientist walked off in a hurry. Bulma looked around at the assistance Bardock had brought her. To top it all off her friend from earlier was standing among them. She grimaced inwardly. Someone was seriously out to get her. She looked in his direction only to see him smirk. Deliberately rolling her eyes, she cleared her throat to get everyone's attention.

"There is a total of ten of you, I need four to unload boxes on this cart. Another five of you will unload that cart over there, and then I need one off you to help me." Bulma ordered loudly, using her voice to its potential. The guards dispersed and started their duties, all but one of them. To her excitement, it was her new saiyajin guard. He walked up and stood in front of her, developing a smirk.

"I guess that means I get to help you." His attitude matching the smirk on his face. Bulma huffed and turned to walk to another area full of already unloaded boxes. The guard stepped in behind her. She stopped at the site.

"I didn't catch your name, soldier?" Bulma asked annoyingly. He grunted.

"Kakarot." He spoke, Bulma nodded.

"Okay Kakarot, I need you to stack up theses boxes and line them up according to what they contain." The fair slave said calmly. The guard nodded and began.

"Hey, I'll be right back. Just keep going." Bulma said casually and waved her hand. The guard grunted in affirmation. The blue haired woman walked over to the other guards to make sure they were doing everything properly. She bumped into Bardock on the way, he merely stepped in sync with her and walked alongside.

"Who is the new guard? I've never seen him before." She wondered informally. Bardock suddenly seemed to tense.

"Why? Is he being a bother?" Bardock was really too worried for his own good. She wondered briefly if the saiyajin had ever relaxed in his life.

"No, quite the opposite really. He is helping me right now." Bardock nodded.

"He is my son." Bulma almost stumbled. She gaped up at her superior.

"What?! I didn't know you had a son, Bardock!" She looked back down, still amazed. Bardock smirked indefinitely.

"He is seventeen, I've had him for a while." Bulma frowned at his mocking of her. Wow, now she knew why he had looked so familiar.

"I didn't know you had any secrets that I didn't know about Bardock. I guess you're just full of surprises." She said lightheartedly. Bardock laughed.

"Get back to your duties girl." He said in the same manner. Bulma walked to the site of the other guards and monitored their progress before getting them to haul the boxes to Kakarot's position. Finally she had everything set and ready for the ceremony. She sat on top of another box, much as she had done earlier and watched the millions of people gathering for this important ceremony. She watched the massive guards stroll by. She saw a black head bob underneath her and saw it stop and look up. It was Kakarot. He gave her an acknowledging smile and rose up into the air. The bulky guard settled next to her on the box and looked out over the horizon.

"How did you get up here?" He asked quietly. She looked at him strangely. Was he really a saiyajin? But then again he was Bardock's son. Maybe the Kakarot had inherited Bardock's passiveness.

"I climbed." The small woman replied. He nodded. He didn't figure she could have flown. This woman was obviously not saiyajin due to many factors but then what was she? He ignored the thought and just sat, enjoying the view. He sensed the woman tense and followed her gaze to see his father standing a little ways away from their box, looking up at them. Bulma leaped off the tall box and landed in a crouch in front of Bardock.

"You know, I always wondered how you get up there, but at least now I know how you get down." He said submissively. Bulma smiled at him and felt Bardock's gaze drift to another person standing next to her but then return.

"I saw the cargo. I'm impressed but I still have another duty for you, Bulma." He stated. Bulma could tell he was still pressed for patience and merely nodded.

"There are other slaves assigned to decorate and all that, but they don't have any supervision. Your assignment is to watch over them." The orders were really to her and Kakarot. She didn't mind. It was like having a younger version of Bardock to hang out with. The two pupils nodded and began their walk towards the front of the temple. That was where all the food and decorations were. Bulma walked passed the food tables and towards the decorating slaves. Kakarot walked soundlessly beside her. They stopped to see the marvelous decorations that were being hung to and fro across the entire north wall. The entrance was at the north wall and so was the food. There were hundreds of chefs scurrying around the tables trying to make the food arrangements perfect for the king and prince. The lithe salve continued to walk with her new friend's towering form beside her. He sure did look like Bardock, but he was much bigger. Bulma shook her head and stopped in front of the slaves and crossed her arms. Kakarot stood next to her.

"How long do you think it will take them to finish decorating?" The saiyajin guard asked her.

"Not too long. They only have about ten minutes before the ou and ouji arrive." She said. Compared to him she was so small. Personally, she had always thought she was taller than others of her kind. But as it was she came about to his chest. Kakarot was the only saiyajin she had been this close too on purpose, besides Bardock. The pair stood watching the slaves decorate for a few minutes while picking up on the conversations of a few nearby citizens.

"I heard that Bardock has issued the royal guards to watch for traitors." The citizen's voice was most annoying, she sounded as though she had something stuck in her nose.

"I know. You'd think that there was actually going to be some excitement." The woman's companion sounded no better. The two continued walking and chatting. The fair woman watched the slaves finish and walk to their master's station. Her and Kakarot left to find Bardock. The older saiyajin was ordering the guards and politicians to their specified places. She gasped as he nudged her in between two guards.

"You have earned this place for the ceremony. You should be honored." Bardock was again speaking so fast Bulma had to strain to pick up everything. The blue haired slave was hardly aware that her face had wrinkled into an unsatisfied expression. Why should she care where she stood? It wasn't her ceremony. The two guards beside her were called forward to start patrol. She stood next to the temple wall looking around. How could she be honored to stand among the people that she despised most? Bulma had no respect for the saiyajins to begin with. Why would she have any respect for the people that stole her away from earth? Her gaze fell on the temple entrance. What was so special about that thing anyway? Even when she pestered Bardock he wouldn't tell her what was inside. Supposedly only royalty and politicians knew what was in there. Bardock was a member of the royal guards and he had to be trusted to ensure the security of the royal family, hence he knew about it. The small woman let her attention be stolen to her clunky ring once again.

The quiet was shattered by the harsh sound of trumpets. Every pair of eyes settled on the royal transport that had just stopped. Ouji Vegita was already standing on the red carpet, seemingly waiting his father to exit. Ou Vegita stepped out and threw his hasty son a scornful glare. The two walked along the red carpet, the ouji appeared to be walking ahead of the king. Hardly, but it was noticeable. A whispering roar erupted in the crowd. Small people turning to one another asking why the prince was trying to outclass his father by walking in front of him.

"SILENCE ALL! OU VEGITA AND OUJI VEGITA HAVE ARRIVED TO COMMENCE THE CEREMONY! REMAIN QUIET!" The royal advisor boomed loudly, silencing all the mindless chatter. Bulma gasped at the sudden shrieks of sound made by the trumpets. Her fingers shook violently from being frightened. The goldish band slipped from its place, flying in the air. Bulma had no time to think, she leaped out from her place and caught the precious thing. The blue haired slave had that nervous butterfly feeling in her stomach and her face was drained of color. That was too close; way too close. Her hands were shaking involuntarily.

Vegita and his father had walked up the red carpet and were now at the podium where the king was to make a speech to his people. The entire way up the carpet he had to bite his tongue to not pound the boy form his earlier retribution. What was worse was that his son was looking at him with a triumphant smirk. The ouji was delighted in his fathers fury. He had to contain himself from bursting into laughter. He watched as his stupid father approached the podium. Of all the things he had to endure being the prince, he absolutely hated his father's boring speeches.

"As all of you know, today is Ouji Vegita's kingship ceremony. He will perform the most grueling and intense feat of all by entering the Saiya Temple for a day..."Bulma zoned out on the speech, she really couldn't care less. She gazed at the troublesome ring again, thinking how pointless they were. In reality the only purpose they held was to allow the saiyajin to take delight in murdering slaves, or raping them. Her eyes narrowed to menacing slits and her fingers twiddled the heavy band around and around her finger. She hadn't been a slave her whole life. No. She was once the proud daughter of Dr. Briefs. Her expression softened at the memory. How wonderful it would have been to grow up on earth. To live her life to the fullest and become president of Capsule Corporations. She only wished, her mind was absent to the ceremony; fluttering in wistful daydreams.

The old bastard's speech was finally over, it had been a hard task not to fall asleep. Maybe that should be the kingship ceremony, to try and see if he could withstand his father's mind-numbing voice for a day. He smirked. Now he was walking solo up the ramp that led to the temple door. The doors were side by side and they reached to a monstrous height of about fifteen feet. On the side of the right door was a small outcrop. He walked to it. Nobody had told him exactly what he was suppose to do up here, but it was pretty self explanatory. The ledge was indeed small, only about a foot wide and sticking out of the wall a foot as well. He stood in front of it and brought his hand to his mouth, biting his finger. He draped his hand over the small dish shaped protrusion and allowed a drop of blood to splash into the pure clear water. He lifted his hand and the outcrop was drawn back in. The entire planet held its peace for a long, dramatic, silent pause. Had he failed? Was he not old enough? Slight fear rose up in his stomach. He was about to leave in shame when a sudden light surrounded him. The atmosphere seemed to control his movement because his hand lifted by itself and was placed on the door. The glow receded and he closed his eyes in concentration. Within seconds the pair of doors slid to opposite sides. The prince's eyes opened and he smirked. He did it. As soon as the doors opened the entire crowd gasped and started to whisper.

All awe was stopped by a loud crash followed by a blinding light and searing heat. Bulma was jolted from her daydreams by the sudden disturbance and screamed loudly. She watched in fear as her slave ring flew far off. Her mouth gaped open as it silently landed in the misty entrance of the temple. She looked around frantically making sure nobody saw the mishap. Everyone seemed to be watching the prince and another person off to the right of the doors. She hadn't even known he had opened the doors. Thankfully he didn't see her ring. His attention was diverted away from her.

Vegita turned to face the fool that had tried to ruin his ceremony. To his annoyance every guard came to his rescue. Didn't the idiots realize he was by far more powerful than they were?

"All guards leave at once. I will attend to this minor problem." Vegita was smirking uncontrollably. He welcomed this attack, it was an excuse to have some fun before he went into the temple. The guards pleaded to let them attend to the attacker but Vegita shot them a look of anger and they apologized and scurried off. He turned his attention back to the attacker. It was a male saiyajin. He had a white rag tied around his right bicep. A sign that he was a traitor. Vegita's smirk left his proud face and he resumed an angry scowl. This was a disgrace for his own kind to be against him like this. All guards had surrounded the deserter from a distance. He was having trouble identifying the saiyajin, but he did look familiar.

The panicking slave was paler than usual. She was debating whether or not to go and get her ring and risk being caught, or to just forget about her ring and explain the whole thing to Bardock. Yeah right! There was no chance in hell she would survive a minute on this god forsaken planet without her ring. She almost growled at her thought. What were the chances she could slip in unnoticed? Well, everyone was looking the other way, so that was a plus. But there were guards everywhere, and there was bound to be at least one person looking around. She scans the entire crowd, looking to make sure no one is looking at the temple doors.

"What is your name traitor?" Ouji Vegita ordered forcefully, booming loud over the crowd. The man's head looked at Vegita and smirked.

"I'm disappointed Vegita, that you don't even remember the name of a member of your previous purging squad." The man's voice was mocking Vegita. The ouji's eyes widened as he recalled just who this saiyajin was.

"Parslo!" Parslo smirked at the prince's recognition but then his smirk fell and he raised his voice to tell everyone exactly why he had come today. He pointed accusingly at Ouji Vegita.

"You killed my entire family in cold blood. They were innocent, they had done nothing wrong. But you killed them all anyway, for no reason. All of them, everyone died at your hands! You are a complete disgrace to the Saiyajin Empire. You are not fit to be any king!" His words struck home and Vegita let loose a bark of anger before sending his reply.

"Parslo! You are the disgrace! The purge on Kozak was definitely an unexpected challenge, but we knew it was going to be our victory. Still, you were convinced the Kozaks were going to defeat us. I vowed on the battle field that if you left, your family would pay the consequences. But your pansy ass still got scared and fled!" Everyone in the crowd hissed in disgust that this saiyajin had run from battle, the most horrible offence!

Bulma watched as all gazes flicked back and forth from the prince and the other saiyajin. Nobody was paying any attention to the temple. She held her breath and dashed inside.

"Huh?" a saiyajin guard jerked his head towards the temple. He thought he had seen something run into the temple. He narrowed his eyes suspiciously. The bulky saiyajin walked over to the entrance and stood guard, just incase.

Bulma ran into the temple and crouched, looking for her ring. A sparkle caught her attention and she leapt over to grab the runaway ring. Sliding the massive band on her finger, she stood. Gasping in awe at the magnificent beauty of the interior. It was beautiful, not because of decorations but because there was a mystical appearance to the whole thing. Actually there were hardly any decorations. There was a peaceful mist hanging everywhere. There was an open door to her left and a bed. Bed? Why was there a bed, when the prince was only suppose to spend a day in here? What was she doing?! Bulma hit herself on the forehead and turned to make her escape. The lithe salve froze in her tracks. A huge guard was standing outside of the temple doors. Quickly she darted away from the door and crouches behind the bed. How come he hadn't seen her? There was a lot of mist, so that could be why. When she had entered there was a blinding light preventing her from seeing what resided inside. That was obviously the reason. Now she had another problem. How was she going to get out of there?

Vegita laughed at Parslo's face. The ruined saiyajin was biting back the shame he felt for running out on his mission.

"Since you were a part of my purging squad, I will do you the favor of putting you down! Your blood will not taint the Saiyajin Empire for you are the last of your family!" Vegita decided to end it with that. He raised a single hand and let loose a wide beam of energy that plowed into Parslo. The traitor's scream echoed in the vast silence. And then he was gone. Vegita turned away from the ashes of Parslo and went back to resume his destiny. He motioned for the guards to begin loading the supplies.

Bulma peeked out from her hiding place. She was about to make for a quick exit but to her complete horror, guards filed in each carrying a load of boxes. She cursed at her bad luck. Panicking, she realized that there was no hope in escaping, there was no way out. Perhaps, she could survive a day, if she stayed hidden. Sure, it was possible. What's one day?

* * * * *

If you have any questions, comments, flames, death threats...anything. Please email both of the following people DrkAngel701@aol.com and chibiflames@hotmail.com . Not one or the other. BOTH!

Disclaimer: All characters from Dragonball Z belong to their respectable owners and I am in no way staking any claim to them or to the series itself. However, this fanfic also belongs to its respectable owners and I ask that you email one of us before posting it.


Table of Contents
Chapter 1
Chapter 3