Disclaimer: I do not own Dragonball Z or the characters attributed to the story.

Author’s Note: Again, my apologies for the delay. The next chapter is not too far away. I am working on it, and it will be long!

Warning: Disturbing scenes of sacrifice, and abhorrent behavior ahead. If you are squeamish, if you have any problems with this…DO NOT READ. This is merely a story, and I have made this stuff up in a simple effort to thrill and entertain. No blasphemy or insult is intended. I do not get into this, I have just watched and read way more than is healthy for me.

 

CHAPTER FOUR

 

Thebes—3500 BC

"They are all fools!" They treat me, their Pharaoh, as if I were an inferior dog…a simpleton who merely pretends to command the armies of Egypt. They look to me and hope they will see my father, but instead they get this great pretender who has no clue on how to be a successful Pharaoh. I know they are laugh at me behind my backs! Treacherous fools!" Seti spat the words venomously, and ran a hand through his cropped black hair in agitation.

"Seti," Nefertit soothed, laying a gentle hand on her husband’s broad shoulder. "It’s only that you are so young, and they are so ancient. You aren’t inferior at all. You are a wise ruler…it only takes time to grow into the role. The elders are afraid. They know that youth inevitably brings change."

"What would you know?" Seti shot his brooding, black gaze towards her. "You are a woman, whose only concern is to bear my heir. You have little understanding of the subterfuge of kingdom."

"Is that what you think?" Nefertit snapped, eyes narrowing angrily. Turning from him, she snatched up a bracelet, sliding the wide gold band up her arm as she spoke. She could barely believe that it was her husband in the room with her. After their brief interlude in the pool he had left her to attend his meeting with advisors and generals, and come back raging. She’d never seen him quite this way before, and it shook her to her core.

Was that truly his opinion of her? She could barely fathom that this man was the same one that treated her as if she were his equal in every way. "Have I been so useless to you while I have been running this Kingdom in your steed? Has my womanly status rendered me incompetent for that job, Seti? Do you forget I grew up at my father’s knee learning how to run a Kingdom?"

"Nefertit," Seti began, recognizing the belligerent set of her jaw. He had not meant to hurt her, or belittle her feelings, yet he had done exactly that. "I—"

"Forgive me husband, " She interrupted bitterly. "I have been useless where you are concerned, considering I was unable to birth your heir. It seems that I have failed my duties." Fighting back the stabbing pain that knifed through her heart, she glared at him, hoping he saw exactly what his careless words had wrought.

With a harsh snarl, Seti grabbed her shoulder, clenching them tightly. "That’s not what I was insinuating, Nefertit!" He spoke sharply, angry that she had made him feel guilty.

"What did you mean, Seti?" Staring up at him with glowing ebony eyes, she watched the play of emption that flitted across his handsome face.

.

"The pressure is not as harsh for you, Nefertit. You come from another Kingdom, with no one to live up to. I have this great tradition to fulfill. His presence haunts this place even now…" Seti broke off, swallowing thickly. "The things that he did, the greatness he achieved, I am but a pale shadow in comparison and they know it. They taunt me with their superiority, and nothing I do changes it." His eyes bored into hers, and he felt his heart quicken at the sight of her. Why did this woman want him? He would never understand.

"Only in your mind, Seti." Nefertit clasped his arms tightly. "You are capable of so much, but you choose instead to offer up excuses." Staring up at him intently, she clung to him, rushing on before he could speak. "You are so much more than you realize…and it infuriates me that you cannot see it."

Seti regarded her for a long, tense moment, maintaining his eye contact with her, and never wavering. If only she were right, and he was something special. But he knew the truth…his talent as a ruler and leader were minimal, and what was worse were that the advisors and allies knew it as well. It was in the way they scrutinized him, and condescended him, their voices oozing with self-riotous arrogance as they gave him their advice.

For all her goodness, Nefertit would never comprehend what it was to be judged, and found lacking. She was perfect—a goddess in every way. Still, staring down into her endlessly black gaze, so open and wide, and trusting, he found it impossible to disabuse her of the notions she held for him. It was some kind of miracle of Amon-Ra that this woman thought he was worthy, and even more a miracle that she loved him despite his failings.

Gently, he reached a finger to trace along her silken cheek. "Forgive me wife," lips quirking in a smile, he caressed her cheek, heart thumping as she leaned into his hand. "I have allowed them to upset me, and I have taken that out on you."

Nefertit smiled, happy to see the sudden negativity leaving. "It is forgiven this time, husband," she teased. "And if we didn’t have this state dinner to honor our allies, I would see you pay a penance for your transgressions against me." Her mouth curved wickedly as she regarded him through a veil of heavy black lashes.

"I return to the frontlines tomorrow to lead our glorious troops in a siege against the Nubians," Seti whispered urgently, sending his gaze caressing over her linen draped body. "And the state dinner is an evil necessity, but I would pay my penance tenfold, little warrior." Sliding his hand into the lushness of her black hair, he drew her to him, cupping her head in the palm of his hand. "You have only to set the time."

"Tonight," She whispered huskily against his mouth, staring up into heavy lidded gaze. "I would see you pay in full tonight."

"So shall it be, wife," Seti whispered in reply, melding his mouth to hers in a long, hard kiss. "Shall we go?" He asked when they had pulled apart. "Perhaps if we arrive early…" His fingertip traced gently over her kohl-lined eye, and he smiled as it fluttered shut. As beautiful as she was in her formal, make-up, she was far more spectacular in her natural, unmade state. It was rare to find a woman as blessed as she was. He was truly a lucky man.

"We could leave early?" She grinned hopefully, smoothing a hand over the white and gold dress that lay tightly against her body.

Seti felt the ghost of smile play across his lips. "If that is your desire, my Queen…" Taking her hand he drew her into the palatial hall outside their rooms. "We shall go now and hope they do not bore us to death with their false flattery and lies."

Smiling widely, Nefertit walked regally beside him, allowing him to draw her along. Neither said anything, and she found her mind sliding into thoughts of the dinner. She felt his hand squeeze hers tightly, drawing her out of her reverie, and forcing her to acknowledge the obstacle that loomed in their path. Ahead, she saw them standing, waiting for her as the vulture waited the death of unfortunate creatures, great and small—the priests of Horus.

"God’s wife," the head priest addressed her formally, bowing his shaven head low to pay homage. As Pharaoh’s wife, she was God’s wife…since Seti was seen as a God on the earth, and it was one of the ways that the Priests addressed her. "We would ask a moment of your time, Queen." The words were spoken gravely, ahd she felt something tight grip her heart.

"What is it, Horemhab?" Nefertit asked nervously. The way they hovered about, with their shaven heads and downcast eyes gave her the shivers.

"If we might speak in the temple. My queen…" Horemhab shot a respectful glance at Seti. "It will only take a moment. It pertains to your duties as God’s wife."

Glancing up at Seti, she hesitated, now wanting to leave his safe presence and go off alone with the Priest of Horus. Still, she did have duties as God’s wife…duties she could not ignore. She had little choice. "Alright…" Squeezing her husband’s hand, she nodded. "I’ll be along in just a moment."

"Don’t be long," Seti said simply. " I will await your arrival." With a nod towards the Priests, he released her hand, walking away.

"My Queen," Horemhab began somberly. "We have much that needs to be said. Will you accompany us to the temple where we can talk privately?" Glancing around covertly, he whispered. "There are eyes here in the palace…"

What was he talking about, she wondered? Still, the look on his face spoke volumes to her about the urgency of his mission to see her, and despite her desire to run away from the man, she found herself following him. "Of course," She nodded respectfully. "Lead the way."

Walking past his Priests, Horemhab stopped for a moment, glancing back at the young woman that followed him cautiously. So it had finally begun. He only hoped that she would be able to stand up and be the guardian that fate had chosen her to be.

"Yes…" He whispered lightly into the cool breeze. "It is time."

********

Present Day—The Sahara Desert

Bulma awoke slowly, sometime before dawn, vaguely aware that she wasn’t alone, even if physically, she was the only person in the near vicinity. And she had dreamed…again. Sitting up, she tried valiantly to recall why she felt so terrible. Her heart ached fiercely, and she knew it had something to do with Vegeta.

He had left her alone—again.

"Not completely, Bulma…" The gentle voice soothed her brain, and she lay back on the hard sand as if deflated.

"He might as well have." Bulma replied, dejected. "You know, a week ago, I was running the Corporation, and playing with my son…and praying to every God I know that Vegeta would come back." Shutting her eyes, she sighed. "Now look at me…I’m laying in the sand, talking into thin air, and he might have come back, but I’ve lost him all over again. And to top it all off, I have a five thousand year old mummy that wants to kill me. Where in the hell did I go wrong?"

"It’s not as bad as all that." Nefertit soothed. "You must stop feeling sorry for yourself if you plan on succeeding. You have to decide what this man is to you, and you have to decide what you are willing to do to save him. Believe me when I tell you, things could still get far worse."

"You’re giving me these dreams aren’t you?" Sitting up again, Bulma combed her fingers through her now sandy blue hair. "Everything is so vivid, and I feel what you feel. It’s as if I’m there."

"Yes, I have hoped to help you by letting you see the things that occurred." Nefertit’s voice trailed off, and Bulma sensed something painful lingering in the recesses of her mind. "I failed—" She broke off, and the pain Bulma sensed seemed to expand out and cover them like a shroud. .

"He was good once." Bulma stated with surety, pushing Nefertit’s pain away. She had enough of her own. She didn’t need to be feeling someone else’s pain as well. It would only compound her misery. "So what happened?"

"I will tell you when the time is right." Nefertit’s voice wisped through her mind. "You need only concentrate on your man, now, and on preventing the same thing from happening to him."

Bulma shut her eyes at that thought. She couldn’t lose, Vegeta. They had gone through far too much together to give up now. She had been foolish last night, but what in the hell had he expected? They already had issues that were unresolved between them…and the idea that he had impregnated a five thousand year old mummy didn’t help. The knowledge that he had believed it to be her did little to abate the pain that caused her. She had been honest with him last night, and in return he had run out on her. "Damn you, Vegeta." She whispered into the warming, morning air.

"You didn’t answer me, Bulma. What are your feelings and intentions for this man you call lover?" Nefertit’s voice was insistent, pushing for an answer.

"I love him, I suppose. " Bulma shrugged in an effort to appear nonchalant about her emotions. "He left me, you know, right after I told him that I was pregnant with our son. He looked at me for the longest moment, and I—" She snorted, breaking off the thought. "To this day, I have no idea why he did it. I saw such longing in his eyes when he looked at my belly…and when he made love to me…I felt such tremendous feeling from him, and then he was gone. It was as if the time we had together meant absolutely nothing to him." Shaking her head, she looked away, squinting into the pink and orange hued sky as the first hints of sunlight pierced the sands, creating mirage like images on the horizon. How she wished she were far away from this place. "I went through hell…and I came out the other side someone different, except for where he was concerned. Nothing I did could lessen the hold he had on me." She gave a small laugh. "And then he was back, and I knew it wasn’t because he loved me. I’m not sure he even knows what love is…at least not yet. He’s loyal, and honest…I have always been able to count on that, and when we make love…it is something special. Maybe that is why I can’t stop myself from taking him back every time he rips my heart out. The connection is amazing…"

"But do you truly love him?"

"At first…" Bulma narrowed her eyes. "No, not at first. I was attracted to him. He is gorgeous, and that attitude…well needless to say it sucked me right in. I always was a sucker for the bad boys." Giving a little laugh, she trailed a finger in the loose sand, continuing on. "But then I saw more. He has suffered so much, and he’s had to endure so much, and he uses his pain and suffering as shield. It motivates him in everything that he says and does. Once I understood that, and once he knew that I was able to look deeper and see the beauty of who he was…well it was impossible to keep myself from loving him. He tries hard to hide that part of himself, but he isn’t always successful." Bulma felt a smile tug at the corner of her lips. There were somethings that were good about him.

"What are you willing to do for him? Will you fight for him? Will you risk your life for him and this world?" Nefertit persisted. "Can you forgive this transgression that has occurred between him and Teya?"

"For him, I’d do anything." Bulma said softly. "He should know that, but I guess he doesn’t. " Though how he would fail to know how deeply she felt for him was beyond her. She had made a living letting that man know how she felt about him, and usually her feelings were rebuked, quite often thrown back in her face. It was a seemingly endless cycle they seemed to go through, over and over. However, things had been different since Cell, since he had come back home just a few short days ago. If Teya had not invaded their lives, would things have continued to be different?

"Then get up. It’s time to act." Nefertit intoned gravely.

"I need to find him." Bulma stood, shaking the sand off her clothes. "I need to find him, before he does something monumentally stupid. He does that sometimes…" Bulma’s voice trailed off fearfully as her mind filled with visions of Vegeta taking on Teya alone, and unprepared. "I can’t let him go into any battle without knowing that I will do whatever needs to be done. We can straighten all of the other stuff out later. Now…now we need to do what we must to end this nightmare."

"We will find him soon. First, there is a place you must go…a place I must lead you to." Nefertit’s voice was firm, yet gentle. She could sense the woman’s overwhelming desire to find her man, but the time was not yet right. There were things that needed to be done first.

"But Vegeta," Bulma began.

"If you wish to save him, Bulma, then you must allow me to lead you." Nefertit’s voice remained gentle, but unwavering. "You must trust me…not only with yourself, but with him."

Bulma bit her lip, hesitating for a moment before finally nodding. "Promise me that Teya will not win this battle."

"I will see her destroyed, Bulma." Nefertit assured. "I will see her destroyed."

*********

Staring down at the woman he called mate, Vegeta felt a sharp pang of desire shoot through him. Whatever it was that existed between them, her angry words, and his rage had not dimmed it at all. But then had it ever really before? They had screamed the ugliest of words at each before he had left her…more times than he could count, and yet they were always drawn back to each other like moths to a flame. She was in his blood, like a burning fever, and nothing he did could expunge her from his system. It was something that he had never experienced in his life, and it confused him, and frightened him as no enemy ever had. It left him feeling out of control, and it strained the harsh confines of his discipline. It was nearly intolerable, and yet when he was in her arms, or buried deep within her, he no longer felt so lost, or alone, and he found himself accepting all that she would give him. Such weakness was unacceptable and abhorrent to his Saiyan blood, and yet he could not walk away from her or the pathetic planet that she lived on. God knew he had tried, but he had been unable to succeed. Killing her wasn’t an option either. He would rather see his own life ended before one drop of her blood was spilled. And she would never know just how much that admission pained him.

At first, he had told himself that it was just the immense lust that hung heavily between them. He had never wanted a woman with the intensity that he had desired Bulma. He hadn’t been sure if it was the lush body and beautiful face, or the fiery, tempestuous attitude that filled her from head to toe, and was yet tempered by something far softer and gentler. She was a complete enigma to him, railing at him one moment, shrieking at him at the top of her voice, and in the next taking him into her and giving him something he had never had before—love and acceptance. Perhaps it was the challenge of taming the woman, of showing her, her place in his life that he had been unable to resist. And then she had turned the tables completely on him, showing him exactly just how strong she really was. Bulma was a woman he could admire.

Her temper had secretly impressed him, though he would be damned if he ever told her he appreciated the fire that burned within her. No matter that she was a weak human; the woman did things that defied logic, and showed more fire than most of the men that he had encountered on the miserable planet—including a good portion of the Z warriors. If she had been given any noticeable ki, she would have been a danger to the human society…not that she already wasn’t. Still, that she should have the power to blast anyone made him shudder. Better that she relied on him to fight her battles, and used her brain as her primary weapon. Her temper was just too volatile for her own good.

Bulma had never had any qualms of getting in his face, and screaming at him—seemingly uncaring that he might strike her down. Her true strength, her genius, was something to behold, though he had never let her know that. He had been the beneficiary of her mind more times than he cared to recall, though he never showed her proper gratitude. He was a Prince…he didn’t need to show her gratitude, at least not publicly. Privately, lost in the confines of their bed, he made sure he showed her, though she wouldn’t have recognized anything he was trying to tell her. And there were no strings attached where she was concerned. Vegeta knew that because she had made it known to him in many different ways.

Certainly she had gotten pregnant quickly with Trunks, and it had been unexpected, but he was not a man to allow himself to be trapped, and she knew that. He could well remember the night before he had left her the first time, lying beside her, hand resting on her swelling belly, feeling the brat’s strong, healthy ki as it emanated from her. He had wanted so much in that one moment to be nothing more than the boy’s father, and her mate…but his pride had not been able to allow it.

The knowledge that there were two who had surpassed him had eaten at his soul like a disease, and it overshadowed everything else in his life, haunting him, and driving him to punishing lengths in order to overcome his weaknesses. He was a Saiyan Prince, their strongest warrior…but yet he wasn’t, and as long as the specter of Kakkarot’s strength hung over his head, he could never offer any part of himself to her or the boy. He had no legacy to offer the brat, and he would die before he saw his son witness his failure to achieve the greatness that was inherent in their blood. So he had made love to her with all the passion that he had, and left her…determined that when he came back, he would be a Super Saiyan. He would see his destiny realized.

And it had been realized, though little had he known, then, that the purple-haired brat taunting him in his dreams, was actually his very own brat—raised without him, and trained by Gohan in another time. The irony was that the boy had seen his father’s miserable failure, despite his best efforts to prevent that. He had even failed to save the boy’s life when Cell had struck him dead. Just the memory of seeing the life extinguished from those blue eyes, so much like his mother’s, sent a coldness shuddering through him, clenching at his heart, and holding tight. It left him feeling weak and vulnerable, yet again, and despite the oncoming heat of the day, it stayed with him, leaving him with a dreadful chill he could not shake.

And now the brat was gone, back to the future, leaving just his infant self, and two prideful people who had been trying to start over before all of this had happened. He had been determined to leave her after Cell. He was not worthy of her love, or affection. He had failed her on several different levels, and worse of all, he had failed to regain his pride back from Kakkarot. The fucking fool had saved his life, yet again, with his sacrifice, and left all of their business undone. The third class’s own brat had stepped in and saved his life, shaming him once and for all, and showing him just how worthless he was to the Saiayan race, and how pathetic of a warrior he really was. It had been Gohan that had saved the lives of the people that Vegeta called family, the people that he himself had put into such mortal danger because of his own foolishness. In throwing his body over him and saving his life, Gohan had stripped the last vestiges of his pride away completely, leaving a nearly broken man.

So he had returned back to the Corporation only long enough to see his future brat off, before taking to the air with no thought as to where he might go. He had been successful in leaving her, too, but only long enough to realize that she was the one person that might be able to help heal the deep wounds that were emblazoned across his soul. She needed him, the boy needed him, and perhaps…perhaps together they could give him something he had never had in his life—stability. There was still that part of him that would always long to give Kakkarot the beating of his life, and there would always be the part of him that abhorred the emotional attachments he had formed, albeit unintentionally, on this miserable mud hole he now called home. But he had come back, prepared to offer her the commitment she needed, and determined to finish the bond he had started all those years ago.

His pride was shattered, his life in upheaval…. and she was all that he had left. Well, he had Trunks as well, and there was a part of him that was looking forward to training the boy, and seeing the strength, and the awesome potential realized. But still, it was to Bulma that he truly returned. He had not been so alone when she was near. There had been another living being that he could trust with his whole heart and soul. She understood him, and accepted him, and because of that she had earned his loyalty, though he had not always shown it. The bond was where he had planned on letting her know a portion of the place she held in his heart, though he would never be able to fully tell her his feelings. He would never allow anyone to have that kind of power over him, not even her.

He had been so close to completing their bond, too, if that fool Yamcha hadn’t walked in. Vegeta felt his lip curl up in derision. That the bastard had the nerve to walk into their home, and act as if he were the one that belonged sickened him. It was apparently an idea that Bulma had fostered by allowing the idiot back into her life, and leaning on him as if he were some kind of crutch.

Perhaps he wasn’t being fair to her, but it pissed him off that Yamcha was the first face that his son had seen. It pissed him off that the weak bastard had tried to take his place…hell he was still trying, even throwing details of all that Vegeta had missed back in his face, reminding Bulma again and again of just how much he had failed her.

Had she really come close to dying? Bulma had never spoken a word to him about the brat’s birth, and he found the lack of knowledge disturbing. She was his mate, no matter all that had come between them…and he was possessive of the things that were his, though he knew she hated being treated as a possession. He had made the conscious decision to not be there when it happened…he had known the risks, and the possible outcomes…so why was it all bothering him now? Maybe it was time to demand some answers from her.

Vegeta watched as she stood in the sand, and began to stagger off in a northerly direction. Where in the hell was the little fool going with nothing to show her the way? She had no compass, no map, no way of sensing what the correct direction was, and still she walked on, seemingly confident that she was heading where she should be. He felt a smirk tug at his mouth as he watched her struggle over the sand. The little fool always did bite off more than she could chew. Perhaps it was time that he swooped down, and picked her up. Maybe it was time that he showed her who in the hell was boss, and what her place was in his life..

"She is heading towards the Temple of the Seven Guardians." The cool voice flitted through his mind, and Vegeta tensed afraid that somehow he had let his mental walls against Teya down. The knowledge of the connection was bad enough…but he absolutely refused to give her twenty-four hour access to his brain. This voice, however, wasn’t Teya’s. It was lighter, and gentler…soothing almost to his senses.

"Who are you?" He asked gruffly, narrowing his eyes as he continued to stare at the figure of his retreating mate. "Where are you leading her?"

"Perhaps if you had not left her so abruptly last night, you’d know." The voice said silkily, and he cursed, clenching his fists at his side.

"I have no time for such foolish games. What happens between Bulma and myself is my business. Now tell me who you are, or get the fuck out of my mind."

"My, your temper is fierce…I can see why Teya would have chosen you. You are far stronger than I anticipated." The voice sighed, and he clenched his teeth in irritation, wishing that she would get to the point of her visit. "I am Nefertit…my story is long and complicated. I came merely to tell you to follow your woman in the direction I lead her. There is a place that I am taking her…a place unknown to all, and a place where she will learn. If you mean to battle Teya and destroy the bonds that link you together, you will need the knowledge that I lead her to. Bulma fights for you, Vegeta. This is your chance to undo all that has been done. She is the only way that you will be free."

"I don’t need her fighting my battles." Pain lanced through him at the memory of the night before when he had calmly asked her for help. It was one of the few times he would have ever asked her for help, and she had thrown it back in his face with her anger. So why would she even think to help him now?

"She does it because she loves you, Vegeta. I have ascertained that truth for myself. Her anger last night came from pain…pain that has accumulated over time, and pain that you must find a way to assuage. Surely you didn’t think that she would be alright with your liaison with Teya?" Nefertit asked the question calmly, not wanting to enflame his emotions any higher than they already were. He was brimming with pain, and anger, all the things that would make his soul weak and ripe for the taking. She needed to get him back to Bulma, and they needed to calm him down before he faced Teya.

"No, I didn’t think that she would be happy. But it wasn’t as if I cheated on her willingly." Vegeta snarled angrily. "She acts as if I did this purposefully. It was her face that I saw…her body that I touched—" He broke off, lifting his nose in the air petulantly. "As for the rest of her issues…I haven’t the time to deal with them. She knew who and what I was when she got involved with me."

"Perhaps…" Nefertit said thoughtfully. "As you say, these are issues for another time. Do you come with us? Do you attempt to defeat Teya with our help? I assure you that you will need every resource you have to deal with her. As strong as you are, you are not enough to end her existence. Bulma is your only hope for survival. If you go to face Teya alone, she will take everything that you are, and you will be no more than her slave, turned against everything that you have come to value and love. Surely a proud Prince such as yourself finds that intolerable."

"I am no one’s slave…least of all that bitch’s, and there is nothing here I love." Vegeta snarled again, anger surging through him, unwilling to admit that he might love his mate and son. "I will go to this temple…but I had better get some answers, or I swear, I will destroy this whole damn planet to be rid of that bitch."

"Won’t that mean your death, or worse Bulma’s death?" Nefertit asked curiously. Such and arrogant, prideful creature this man was.

"Death would be preferable to an eternity linked to that creature, and I would hardly leave Bulma here to die." He spat. "I have some honor."

"Well, let us hope that it will not come to that," Nefertit soothed once again, sensing a sharp swell of bitterness. "It would be faster if you would help her. She will struggle for days trying to reach the temple that I take you to. Perhaps you could fly her?" It was a small nudge to get them back together, but Nefertit was certain that it was the right thing to do. Vegeta needed Bulma’s calming presence. He needed his rage tempered by something softer. Perhaps some time alone for the two of them would prove beneficial to their relationship, and help break Teya’s hold free. It was all they could hope for.

"Shit…" Vegeta cursed, realizing that he had been set up. "If you weren’t already dead, I swear I would strike you down myself for manipulating me that way." Still, the damn voice in his head was right. The sooner the travesty was over, the better. If Bulma was his ticket out…then so be it. "Fine." He snapped angrily before rocketing off the bluff, and swooping downwards to snatch his errant mate.

As his arms closed around the lush body of his mate, he cursed again. God knew how long he would have to fly with her pressed against his body. He had better get some fucking answers indeed.

**********

"It is done, my love," Teya bowed low before her husband, smiling at the line of humans that were being prepared for their glorious sacrifice to Set. The sand would run red with their blood, and it would be drunk by Set…and the God would rejoice.

"Good," Seti smiled coolly at his wife. "And the woman?"

"She has escaped me, though not for long. This union has had an unexpected result." Teya smiled up at him as he caressed her tanned flesh. "Vegeta is mine completely. It will only be a matter of time before he is here, willing to be my slave." She paused, looking intently into his face. Seti, his strength is unbelievable…he would make such a fine slave. We could accomplish far more were he to join us." She stared expectantly into his black eyes, startled by the sudden flash of anger that she saw. As quickly as it had come, the look was gone, replaced by something far colder.

"Are you certain that he will join our cause." Motioning to his guards, Seti watched as the first victim was drug to the pit that had been dug into the ground. They were the first batch taken from the modern city of Cairo. He had seen it razed to the ground before sending his fearsome troops out for more conquest and massacres. Soon, more cities, the entire populace actually, would tremble at his feet, and they would know the glory of Set. "Slit their throats…I want their blood in my chalice." Smiling at the look of terror, he watched as the first man—young and strong—was drug kicking, and shrieking to the pit. Locking eyes with youth, Seti smiled wickedly. "Burn them…when every drop of blood has been collected.

"I beg of you…" The young man whimpered, fighting his captors valiantly. "I beg of you, please…I will do whatever you want." His soft brown eyes widened, as they held him firm, and somewhere inside himself he found the presence of mind to pray. "Allah save me, Allah save me…" The words were a terrified chant in the air, and he moaned as he felt the sharp, cold curve of a wicked dagger press tightly against his neck. "Allah save me…Allah—" With a gurgle the words were cut off, and his body sagged as the guards held a chalice to his neck.

Seti smiled, turning back to his wife. "I want the woman. I want her head at my feet, but before that I will have her suffer. Do what you will with the man. Know I will kill him should he fail to realize the vision that you seek for him. The child that you spawn will be the vessel for Set’s immortal soul." Accepting the chalice, he tipped it back to his head, drinking deeply.

"Of course, my husband. Whatever you command. " With a smile, Teya accepted the chalice handed to her and drunk form it deeply. "I wonder, husband…would it be acceptable were I to take some of your sacrifices and entertain them? I have such delicious ways of making them suffer." Laughing lightly, she listened to the moans of horror and the shrieks of fear and agony that permeated the air around them.

Seti smiled, sweeping his eyes over her figure, he nodded. "Do what you will, my Queen. They are yours for the taking."

"As are you, my love." Running her hand upwards along his bare chest, Teya smiled suggestively. "Perhaps later we can bathe together…" she paused, casting a sweeping glance at the creatures that cowered before her. "In their blood."

"Your wish is my command." Seti smiled, bending to slide his tongue over her full lips. "I am yours to command."

*********

Bulma could hardly believe they were back together again. One minute she had been trekking across hot sand, heading for the temple that Nefertit had made mention of, the next she had been in his arms, and soaring through the air, held firmly against him. She couldn’t deny that being whisked off her feet by her Prince wasn’t exciting. Sure, he was a surly, temperamental Prince, prone to violence and rage, but he was still hers.

He hadn’t done anymore than grunt at her, and she had not made a move to speak. Something held her tongue, though she hadn’t a clue what it was. Perhaps it was this perfect moment, being held in his arms, and soaring through the sky—the wind blowing through her blue hair. There was a peacefulness that she was loath to break by speaking. It wasn’t like her to hold her tongue for any length of time…but perhaps for now, she could wait. Maybe there would be time enough later for words.

Vegeta glanced down at the woman who lay quietly in his arms. He was shocked that she hadn’t opened her mouth, and attacked him verbally for leaving her. He had been prepared to do battle with her, to singe her with his own words, but the opportunity had yet to present itself. She seemed oddly content, and strangely enough, despite his anger and the hurt that she had caused him, he felt it to. There was something special about this, and he wasn’t ready to see it at an end yet.

Still, the willful brat was going to get it when they touched down. He would show her in no uncertain terms that he didn’t need her or her help, despite what that voice had told him. He was perfectly capable of taking on Teya all by himself, and he would too. He would find the answers to all of the mysteries that surrounded the bitch, and then he would leave and end her miserable life. There were still some things he could take on by himself. Was he so helpless that he needed a woman—and a weak one at that—to fight his battles for him? The thought was enough to make his lip curl in anger, and his grip on Bulma tightened.

Bulma shoved at his arm, squirming uncomfortably in the sudden death grip he had put on her. His jaw was clenched, and she felt the slight tremble of taut muscles against her body. Cautiously, she reached a hand up, laying it gently on his cheek. "Vegeta," she said softly. "Is everything alright?"

"As if you care," He sneered, loosening his hold on her.

"Vegeta," she said helplessly. "What do you want me to say? I’m sorry that I got angry…I’m—"

"Be quiet. I am in no mood to listen to you prattle on. The only reason I am here with you now is to go to this temple that I was told would offer me information that I needed." Shrugging her hand off his cheek, he turned his head, searching for the area that Nefertit had told him to look for.

"I’ve hurt you, and I’m sorry, Vegeta.’ Bulma said quietly, anger coursing through her. "But pain is a two way street. How do you think I felt knowing that you had made love to that woman? How would you feel had I done the same thing with another man? The images take some time to get used to."

"Fuck all the men you want, woman. Your loyalty means nothing to me. Why would you give yourself that much credit?" The words were vile and he knew it, but what in the hell was he supposed to say? His anger had taken control of him, and the pain…and the knowledge that he had asked this woman for help, and she had refused him. Did she have any idea how much he had lost by asking her for help? He needed no one, yet he had admitted in that one moment that he needed her, and she had rebuked him, treating him as if he were something beneath her contempt.

"Really?" Bulma said coldly, watching as his head jerked around. "Well thanks for clarifying my position in your life. I guess I am free to do what I want. Perhaps Omar would be available for a quick fuck—talk about a good-looking Prince, and what about Yamcha? He always was good in the sack." Her blue eyes pierced into him like a torch, and she offered him an icy smile, watching as her words hit home.

"Bitch," Vegeta snarled, before pressing his mouth hungrily to hers. God this woman, and her fire enflamed him as nothing else ever had. "You will not be fucking anyone else but me." Dropping from the sky, he refused her exit, holding his mouth to hers, and plundering it harshly. She was his woman…she was his. Nipping at her lush, lower lip, he tasted blood, and he groaned against her mouth. "You will not fuck anyone else, you will not touch anyone else, dammit!"

"Those were your words, Vegeta." Bulma shoved at him angrily as he touched down on the ground. "You’re the one that flew off the deep end. You’re the one that is always willing to give me up. Goddammit, you son of a bitch! Why am I so easy for you to discard? I should go and have sex with every man I know just to piss you off." Marching across the sand, she yelped as she felt his hand snatch at her arm, and then suddenly she was in his arms, and he was pressing her to the ground, hands buried in her hair, mouth hotter than the desert sands against her skin.

"I didn’t mean them." He rasped against her throat. "I didn’t mean them."

"Damn you, Vegeta." Bulma sobbed against his neck, even as his fierce kisses rendered her helpless. "You are always leaving me…you always leave me…"

Vegeta didn’t answer, merely ceased his mindless assault, rising up to stare down into her glittering blue eyes. His hand was clenched tightly in her hair, and he sighed once before nodding. "After this over…you and I have much to sort out." He looked away, and through the tears that had spilled over, she saw his jaw tighten. Why did this always have to be so damn difficult for him? Maybe she should just be happy with his admission that he hadn’t meant a damn thing he had said in the air. He certainly wasn’t the same man he had been three years ago. That man would have stalked off, nose in air, but this man had just changed, and this man had just admitted that she was his; that she meant something to him.

Turning back to face her, Vegeta stared into the twin blue jewels that glittered so brightly at him. God, she was an absolute beauty, and here he was again, lost. By rights he should be walking away from her, but here he was, pressed against her, holding onto her for dear life. "I—" He began, unsure how to proceed. Something cold gripping his brain ceased the flow of words that would have spilled forth, and he shuddered in her arms, cursing himself for letting his guard down. He had been so preoccupied with Bulma that he had let his mental walls slip.

"Dammit," he cursed, extricating himself from her, and pushing up, off the sand to stagger away from her.

"You needn’t bother." The cool, taunting voice came, and he winced. "I can communicate with her just as easily as I can you. I’m going to kill her, you know, slowly—painfully. You will be able to do nothing more than watch while she suffers, Vegeta.

"Damn you, bitch," he snarled. "I will kill you long before you get anywhere near her."

"Oh didn’t I tell you, Vegeta? I’m always near. The moment you dropped your guard, I knew where you were. I’ve sent men out to take you, to take your pretty little woman. I’ll have to show her what I think of women that come between a wife and her husband." Teya laughed lightly, and he clenched his teeth in rage, feeling something red hot fill his entire being, and stab at his flesh. Damn this fucking bitch. He would see her dead by his hand.

"Did I tell you what I am doing now, love?" She whispered softly into his mind. "I’m playing with the slaves that we have acquired since our rebirth. They so enjoy the treatment that I give them. Ask her, Vegeta…Bulma saw…she saw…"

"Shut up," he growled harshly. "I could care less what you are doing to them."

Bulma stood up, brushing sand from her clothes. "Vegeta?" She said quietly.

"I’ll drink her blood, Vegeta…and when I’m done…so will you." With a low laugh, she was gone, leaving him mercifully alone and trembling in the hot desert air.

"Don’t worry, Bulma…he’s merely conversing with his wife." Bulma grimaced at the voice that she had gone so long without hearing. It had been a blessing actually, but hearing it now, hearing the taunting, wicked sound of it sent her over the deep end, and she replied angrily, hoping she would piss her off.

"I am his wife, you stupid ugly hag. He chose me, not you."

"I’m going to drink your blood, Bulma. You remember what I showed you…all the things I did? It’s going to happen to you. Teya’s voice breathed the words into her head, and she startled, feeling a cold dread fill her. "You are going to die, and I will bathe in your blood, and he will by my slave. He will be my slave."

"No…" Bulma shook her head violently. "I won’t let you win"

"I highly doubt that," the cool voice that she had grown so used to was suddenly there, filling her head, and joining the fray, sending relief flooding through her. "Bulma is strong, and the feelings that these two share are strong. You will find them far harder to break than you think."

"Nefertit…" Teya laughed. "You always were foolishly persistent."

"Perhaps," mused Nefertit. "But this time, Teya, you will be the one that loses."

"We will see. I doubt you have any more skill now, then you did all those years ago." Teya said sharply.

"Skill enough to recognize that you held no honor? No, I was a naive fool, and I died because of that foolishness. But this time, things will be different. I promise you, things will be different." Nefertit’s voice was steely, and cold, and Bulma shuddered at the sudden, deep malice she felt enveloping her brain.

Turning back to Vegeta, she made her way to him, laying a hand on his back. He stared, unwaveringly, into the sky, and Bulma saw the sweat that beaded on his face, trailing rivulets down his skin. "Vegeta," she whispered, watching worriedly, as he stared intently into the wide, blue sky.

"We have to go," he said huskily, turning glittering black eyes to face her. "She knows where we are. Bulma—" He broke off shaking his head. "You go to the temple, and I will stay here and do battle."

"No!" Bulma grabbed his arms. "You have to come with me. We have to do this together. I know this is a first for you, but dammit Vegeta, she has powers you have never dealt with before! Please—"

"Woman, it isn’t in my nature to run from a battle. You go, and figure this thing out. I will fight her, and I will end this travesty on my own."

"Dammit, Vegeta…" Bulma punched at his chest, hitting solid steel. Fighting back the urge to throw herself at his feet and beg him to stay. He couldn’t leave her again, not like this. They had been close to something until that idiot mummy had interrupted them. She wanted him back, she wanted that moment back so that they could figure these things out. "If you think for one minute, that I am leaving you alone to deal with her..." His hand connecting with her neck cut off the hysterical flow of words, and she slumped limply against him. "Where is this place?" He roared into the sky.

"Vegeta…this isn’t smart. You must come with us to the temple. It is a safe haven for you. You can’t do this without Bulma. If you go now, your soul will be lost."

"The Saiyan Prince needs no woman to do his battles for him." Vegeta sneered, lifting his woman gently into his arms. "As long as I stay with you, I am a threat. She is bonded to me, and she will always be able to find me. I will take Bulma to the temple, and I will go and distract her. Find a way to end this…Teya will find I am not a man to be controlled. Bulma should know this."

"And what of Bulma?" Nefertit said urgently. "What happens to her, who will protect her?"

"You said she would be safe at this temple," Vegeta lifted into the air. "Now show me where this fucking temple is. Quit wasting my time."

"Fine," Nefertit snapped. "But you are a fool. You need only mate with Bulma to drive this demon from your head. She is more than strong enough to defeat Teya."

"Be quiet," he snarled. "I don’t want to discuss this any longer. What I do, or don’t do with Bulma is still my business."

"Fine, I will lead you to the temple, and you may go on your way. I just pray to Horus that you do not fall." Nefertit’s voice was heavy, and resigned.

Vegeta’s lip curled arrogantly, and he smiled, coldly. "You needn’t trouble yourself with petty worries. I won’t be the one that falls."

* * * * *

Coming next chapter: Vegeta’s confrontation with Teya; the story of Nefertit and Seti s is finally revealed completely; Bulma seeks out Vegeta.


Table of Contents
Chapter 3
Chapter 5